Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default I didn't do my research and they had a policy.

This weekend, the lovely lady and I went to the AMC in Granite Run to catch a movie. Ted, specifically...it was funny as hell! Anyway, we got in line to buy tickets, and a couple behind us in line noticed my OCed 1911.

M: Well, guess we'll be safe tonight!
    W: What?
    M: Guy in front of us has a gun.
    W: WHA-? That can't be legal!
    M: Sure is - it's called 'open carry' and it's completely legal in PA.
    W: Well I don't like it.
    M: Why not?
    W: It's just...I don't like it.

At this point we got our tickets and headed in.

We sat down and about ten minutes into the previews, I decided I needed a hot dog. As I was standing in line, the on-duty manager asks if he can talk to me for a moment.

"We have a policy against the carrying of weapons here."
    "Oh? I didn't see anything on the doors when I came in."
    "There are signs on several of them." He pointed them out to me, way in the bottom corners of the doors, where a small dog might notice if he were looking straight ahead.
    "Oh. Alright. Well, are you okay if I just cover it up and remember this for next time?" Obviously, with no intention of there being a 'next time.'
    "I'm sorry, but I have to ask you to abide by the policy."

Now, I was miffed, but not at the manager - I found out later that all AMC theaters are run by corporate and the on-site manager has no say in what the rules are. Also, we had already paid for our tickets and (most of) our concessions, and I wasn't willing to put the brakes on movie night. So, considering PiP was still armed with her concealed piece, I went ahead and secured the 1911 in various parts of the car. I never bought my hotdog since I'm no longer going to be giving that company any further money.

So, no more AMC. I didn't bother looking up their policy and I have stopped trying to find "No Firearms" posted signage anymore since, the way I see it, I have the right to defend myself there until they exercise their right to ask me to leave or put it in the car, and being that the latter is dependent on the former, I don't see anything wrong with assuming that one is no more important than the other until proven otherwise.

I'll shoot an email off to AMC corporate to see if they are willing to elaborate on the logic behind their policy, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they either will ignore me or won't make any logical sense at all.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I didn't do my research and they had a policy.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

I'll shoot an email off to AMC corporate to see if they are willing to elaborate on the logic behind their policy,
    Their buttery popcorn is more deadly than your gun.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I'll shoot an email off to AMC corporate to see if they are willing to elaborate on the logic behind their policy, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they either will ignore me or won't make any logical sense at all.
    I think the "logic" is the same everywhere that bars weapons. It gives them one more level of liability protection should someone start shooting. Just like no running or ball throwing at the public swimming pool.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I think the "logic" is the same everywhere that bars weapons. It gives them one more level of liability protection should someone start shooting. Just like no running or ball throwing at the public swimming pool.
    You're probably right, but like I said, it makes no sense. It's way more dangerous to run around at a swimming pool than it is to be carrying a holstered firearm.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I think the "logic" is the same everywhere that bars weapons. It gives them one more level of liability protection should someone start shooting.
    Liability should work both ways. And people, who got shot MUST have right to sue the venue for stripping their right to defend themselves and not providing enough security at the same time.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

They probably started posting signs on all their doors after that shooting incident at the Waterfront theater in Pittsburgh. Was that theater an AMC when that happened?

The above incident is exactly why I CC when going to the Waterfront. I've never seen any signs at the AMC there, but I'll look the next time I go.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Liability should work both ways. And people, who got shot MUST have right to sue the venue for stripping their right to defend themselves and not providing enough security at the same time.
    Private property...their rights. You take a risk every time you step out in public...that's life.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Yes, this has happened when my father was murdered at Springfield Mall. The victims and their families joined in a law suit against the Mall, as well as the retail outfit who sold the firearm to the nut case.

FYI:

http://www.amctheatres.com/Media/Def...uct-policy.pdf

...refrain from dangerous or disruptive behaviors including...

"Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind, real or toy"

(Lancaster County)

"Possession of a recording device, audio or video"

Every single person with a modern cell phone could be kicked out.

You should just go and stand by the entrance way and tell the manager that every single person that walks in with a cell phone should be barred from the premises according to their rules. The rules should be enforced equally across the board.
    Last edited by streaker69; July 2nd, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast