Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Would I be worthy of their sacrifice?

I think that is a question we all should ask ourselves. In an article in the March issue of The American Legion magazine that question is asked. There is also a wartime prayer attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt That prayer struck me pretty hard. It certainly has got me thinking. That prayer is:

Dear Lord
    Lest I continue
    My complacent way,
    Help me to remember that somewhere,
    Somehow out there
    A man died for me today
    As long as there be war,
    I then must
    Ask and answer
    Am I worth dying for?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Would I be worthy of their sacrifice?

Whoah, pretty strong *** ***...

I'll keep it in mind.

(Lehigh County)

Powerful words indeed.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Dauphin County)

wow.......

(Susquehanna County)

With the bodies coming back I hope I am.

But the way I heard the line

A man died for me today
    was
    A solider died for me today

Hokkmike Guest

Great poem in two ways:

As written it talks about what brave men have sacrificed for us.

The first and last line by themselves talk about what God as done for us.

(Westmoreland County)

Great poem, but a question that does not need to be asked. As prescribed by the Bill Of Rights, every American is worth dying for...even the antiwar protesters that show no love in return for a country that loves them unconditionally!

(Some people may not deserve the unconditional love of this county, but that is another discussion all together!)

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Great poem, but a question that does not need to be asked. As prescribed by the Bill Of Rights, every American is worth dying for...even the antiwar protesters that show no love in return for a country that loves them unconditionally!

(Some people may not deserve the unconditional love of this county, but that is another discussion all together!)
    I view this as a prayer for those who have died in the service of our country (and those who have suffered grievous wounds)with the hope that my patriotism, my love of our country, and my gratitude for their sacrifice rises to the level that I would not wonder whether they might have died in vain. It leads me to evaluate myself and suggests to others to do the same. It says to me, question myself. It does not suggest that we judge others. Am I worth their sacrifice? I sincerly hope so but I can't help but wonder. Lest we forget

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    As prescribed by the Bill Of Rights, every American is worth dying for...even the antiwar protesters that show no love in return for a country that loves them unconditionally!
    People don't love their country because they're against war?

I fail to see how one is related to the other -- or how blind support for any governmentally endorsed war necessarily equates to love of country.

War isn't a football game. There are good guys, bad guys, and everyone in between. Unjust wars happen all the time, and we're not always on the right side. I won't "root" for my side simply because it's my side -- I'll save that for the Eagles game.

Anyone who doesn't watch and scrutinize the actions of this country's government like a hawk, but rather, falls to unreasoned cheerleading, is contemptible.

Part of what made this country great is the refusal blindly to accept all government decisions simply because they are made on behalf of my country.

My country is not the same as my government.

As Jefferson himself said:

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.”

I'd rather have a dreadlocked college student burning flags and raving about imperialism than a bunch of guys sitting around the table at a gun club talking about how great it is that we're at war. The dreadlocked guy may be an asshole, and he may be an idiot, but at least he's not treading the party line because he feels obligated to do so in order to "love" his country.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 25th, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I don't love my country because I'm against war?

I fail to see how one is related to the other -- or how blind support for any governmentally endorsed war necessarily equates to love of country.

War isn't a football game. There are good guys, bad guys, and everyone in between. Unjust wars happen all the time, and we're not always on the right side. I won't "root" for my side simply because it's my side -- I'll save that for the Eagles game.

Anyone who doesn't watch and scrutinize the actions of this country's government like a hawk, but rather, falls to unreasoned cheerleading, is contemptible.

Part of what made this country great is the refusal blindly to accept all government decisions simply because they are made on behalf of my country.

My country is not the same as my government.

As Jefferson himself said:

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.”
    Well said, Rule. I'd give you rep but I have to spread the love.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast