Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
We are continuesely asked not to support those business that are not 2A pro, but yet the NRA finds it ok to prohibit, a legaly carrying citizen, to mantain that level of security for which he or she always strive for.

I am cancelling my membership to the NRA effectively today. I am also thinking of cancelling my attendence to this class since it is sponsored by the NRA.

I cancell my bank accounts with BoA because of their attitude toward people and guns, I refrain from using restaurants that are anti 2nd, as well as other businesses. It is just fitting that those ,that actualy should be at front of our cause and leading by example, are also excluded by those of us that live our life based of these critterias because they act the same way.
First off, the class is not sponsored by the NRA. I am certified by the NRA as an instructor. Utah requires me to be an NRA certified instructor in order to be certified by Utah BCI to teach this course. NRA and Utah standards do not permit live ammo in the classroom environment.

Now, I'll make the assumption that you have never taken a classroom based firearms training class. It is a standard protocol whether, an NRA class, a state run course, etc, that no live ammunition is allowed in the classroom. This is for safety reasons. You are welcome to research the subject. Look at any firearms training company across the country. Check their website, and you will see that no one allows live ammo in a "cold" classroom. Range classes are obviously different. Call any instructor you wish, and ask whether they allow live ammo in the room. There is a difference between "supporting pro-2A" businesses, and not allowing ammo in the classroom during a gun safety class.

As an instructor, I have to teach with the understanding that someone in the room may be taking this class with absolutely zero knowledge about guns, especially in a state that requires no prior firearms training before issuing a LTCF. The safest course of action is that we prohibit live ammo in the room....for everyone (myself included).

If you feel that you want to cancel your NRA membership because of a safety rule, that is your choice. If you cannot understand the need for the highest degree of safety in this class and you want to cancel your registration, that is your choice as well.