Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Issues with Streamlight. Thoughts?

I have a TLR-1S (on my AR-15) that doesn't strobe anymore and a I just replaced a Polytac last week because the activation cap was sticking and wouldn't shut off once it was on unless you whacked it off of something. Is it normal for the TLR-1S to stop strobing as the batteries die or is it just broken? The actual light still comes on though. I tried contacting Streamlight about the Polytac and their bullshit warranty but it wasn't covered because that was considered normal wear and tear. After 3 months the activation switch breaks and that's considered normal wear and tear. Bullshit.

What's another good brand of handheld/weapon mounted light? I know of Insight and Surefire, any other good ones?
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; June 27th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.

(Centre County)

Question Re: Issues with Streamlight. Thoughts?

My opinion is that the Surefire x300 is one of the most betterest weapon mounted lights out there. I personally can't seem to cough up the coin to get one, but everything I've read says they are GTG.

It seems the strobe edition of TLR-1's are the ones that run into the most problems. I have 2 non-strobe ones and have never had a failure; an older one that lives on a G17 and a newer one on a low round count AR.
    Last edited by FLICK; June 27th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Issues with Streamlight. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I have a TLR-1S (on my AR-15) that doesn't strobe anymore and a I just replaced a Polytac last week because the activation cap was sticking and wouldn't shut off once it was on unless you whacked it off of something. Is it normal for the TLR-1S to stop strobing as the batteries die or is it just broken? The actual light still comes on though. I tried contacting Streamlight about the Polytac and their bullshit warranty but it wasn't covered because that was considered normal wear and tear. After 3 months the activation switch breaks and that's considered normal wear and tear. Bullshit.

What's another good brand of handheld/weapon mounted light? I know of Insight and Surefire, any other good ones?

Quit whacking your light off, maybe, you won't have these problems...

My Surefires have been unstoppable, but I also have a Streamlight Nightfighter X that has never given me any problems. Haven't had it long though, and it isn't weapon mounted.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Quit whacking your light off, maybe, you won't have these problems...

My Surefires have been unstoppable, but I also have a Streamlight Nightfighter X that has never given me any problems. Haven't had it long though, and it isn't weapon mounted.
    I try to resist but I guess I don't have much for self control ... Seriously though, I'd prefer a light that doesn't have a built-in rail mount. I like the handheld light's activation cap better than the TLR's ambi flip switch. The problem is that most people write reviews on lights and shit based on their first impressions so you don't really know much about the longevity until you try it. I'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars on an Elzetta or Surefire light that never fails me than get a bargain on something that's going to break and piss me off while I'm running drills with it.

(Beaver County)

Take a look at Fenix

I've been carrying a Fenix TK-15 for almost a year. I'm on my second set batteries in it and I use it almost on a daily basis. Really nice thing is that you can buy a remote pressure tail cap and rail mount for it. Ive never purposely abused mine but it's been dropped a few times. It also has 4 brightness settings maxing out somewhere around 300 and it has a unique strobe feature. The strobe automatically changes "frequency"(can't remember the right term) every few seconds so if you are strobing someone their eyes cannot adjust to it. The only sort of down side is the strobe is activated by a button on the side so it'd might be awkward while mounted(I don't know for sure as per I never tried it)

As for your TLR I wouldn't be surprised if it was a battery issue, my Fenix reverts to a lower setting when the batteries are starting to go. Strobe is always the first to go.

(Beaver County)

I don't like dual mode flashlights. I had one that required X number of clicks for this setting and that one so I completely hated it and gave it away. I want a bright, indestructable light with a simple on/off. Like a Polytac except without blinking off when I dry fire the gun or cycle the action (shock proof my ass). It would also help if it lasted more than three months. Those combination of things don't exactly inspire confidence.

Have any of you even seen the movie Kick Ass? There's a scene toward the end where one of the characters uses a strobe light to blind the bad guys and then takes it off the gun, sets it down, comes around behind them while they're shooting at it and blows their brains out. That was pretty awesome but I've tried some room clearing drills in my apartment with the strobe and it messes with my eyes. I have to constantly blink to keep a clear sight picture. There are ways of using them to your advantage but I just don't ever see myself in a situation where I say to myself 'Damnit! If I only my light had a strobe function!'.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Fenix on my Remington 870P shotgun and it's worked great for the last year.

Olight makes some good stuff too.

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

I have bought a couple streamlight products...a scorpion in 1994 and still works great. Bought my wife one too and she loves it, ever a problem with either one.

Bought a couple Stingers, again, awesome, no problems...

I am of the old school that mounted lights are well, not all that. They do have a purpose and for some, depending on mission, are awesome. However, by choice, hand held lights are the way for me.

CL

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I have bought a couple streamlight products...a scorpion in 1994 and still works great. Bought my wife one too and she loves it, ever a problem with either one.

Bought a couple Stingers, again, awesome, no problems...

I am of the old school that mounted lights are well, not all that. They do have a purpose and for some, depending on mission, are awesome. However, by choice, hand held lights are the way for me.

CL
    For a handgun, I agree. I would rather use a handheld light in my support hand with my sidearm because of the way the TLR affected my hold and doesn't allow me to use my holsters. I never quite figured out how to reload with the pistol in one hand and the light in the other though . . .

Why not just send it back to SL? I used to work in the repair department and we would repair most lights under the warranty. I would refuse to "repair" if the light was ran over by a vehicle, but most warranties are taken care of without any cost to the owner.

Sounds like you just need a tail cap for the polytac, which you can get...just call and ask to speak to someone in the repair department.

As far as the strobe goes...there were some issues when I worked there...that light is also covered under warranty, so once again send it back in for repair.

Just write a letter explaining the issues and make sure you have your mailing address, so it can be mailed back to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast