Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Awesome encounter ACPD Boyce Park Monreoville

Was taking a walk with my wife tonight through Boyce Park while the kids were in vacation bible school as we don't get much time to ourselves (open carry as usual). While walking down one of the roads we were passed by an Allegheny County Police cruiser. The cruiser stopped and turned around and the officer (Chris Simms) rolled down his window and started a conversation with us. Chris stated that he had never seen anyone open carry before. Chris pulled over and we had about a 15 minute talk about open carry, other police departments, harassment, among other things. Chris is not a supporter of open carry, but said he doesn't want to stop anyone else from doing it. The officer was beyond professional. Never asked for any paperwork and seemed genuinely interested to hear my side of the open carry story. It was wonderful to talk to such a professional police officer and I will be contacting his department to let them know they have a winner in their ranks. I know some on here will throw up the red flag just for the fact that he stopped to talk to me, but I think that if you were there, you would see the value in the conversation we shared. Thank you Officer Chris Simms, I hope you get to read this post.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

Default Re: Awesome encounter ACPD Boyce Park Monreoville

Nothing at all wrong with this encounter.

Well done.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

a better encounter would have been if the officer had just driven past and waved.

(Blair County)

You shouldnt get flamed. There is no reason to automatically shut down on the police. Just remember that at any point you reserve that right. Not all police are bad, and knowing a few can never hurt. Not that Im a habitual drunk or anything but I like knowing there might be a checkpoint on Saturday....and where it will be.

(Allegheny County)

Nicely done, I don't agree with the don't talk to police. It depends on the situation. Doesn't sound like he was fishing. Sometimes they are just human beings and are curious.

Rep sent

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Sounds good to me. Why would anyone treat a decent, friendly cop different than any other decent, friendly person they'd run into?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    a better encounter would have been if the officer had just driven past and waved.
    I must respectfully disagree. If such had been the case, then the officer would not have gotten to hear the OP's side of the open carry story. Due to his stopping, the officer has now become more enlightened.

Nothing wrong with this encounter at all from the looks of it. As long as you never felt like you weren't free to go or that he was fishing then I see nothing wrong. And I have to disagree that just driving by would be better. The officer has talked with an OCer and hopefully has a better positive understanding of us and will continue to do an excrllet job. So i must say this is just as good as if he just drove by and waved.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Lancaster County)

I have been on this forum for quite sometime and I just don't get the don't talk to the police line. You know what those who have a LTCF should be willing to let the police see it otherwise why have it. And those who open carry without it should be able to be an adult when stop by a police officer. Put yourself in thier shoes. Your a police officer you see a gun in the open I understand most bad guys would cover it up. But you don't think that no bad guy has ever just said I am gonna open carry maybe the cops will belive me to ba a good guy and not bother me. If I was a police officer I would wanna know who you are lets face it as a police officer I would have the mindset that I am a target and that there are people who want me dead. If I am ever asked for my LTCF I will gladly show them. And if I am open carrying even though I don't need it to do so I will show it then I don't feel it is a violation of my rights. I am still carrying correct so where did I lose my rights. And belive me if you were an asshole to me when I asked for your ID I would make sure everytime I see you I would stop you to ask quiestions. I would treat you like the asshole you acted as. I know I could not arrest you for being an asshole but belive me I will look for a reason everytime I see you. I know we have the right to keep and bare. But some people just do not understand. Does that make them stupid do you know it all? sorry for the rant

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I must respectfully disagree. If such had been the case,
    ideally the cop would have said there is a man who is walking with a woman and they seem to be close. thats nice. hes carrying a gun and exercising his right to self defense under the state constitution. good for him. i hope that he gets lucky.

and then the cop would have gone looking for teens with beer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast