Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default How concealed is concealed enough?

I am in the process of getting my carry permit and am starting to do my research on keeping myself legal. But i have a question that I haven't found a decent answer to and that is "how concealed is concealed enough?" I know that no part of the firearm can be hanging out in the open, but to what extent is printing a legal concern and what is a social (for lack of a better word) concern?

I am a business owner and carry large amounts of cash to make purchases or receive cash from sales. It wouldn't bother me in the least if others suspected I was carrying, but I would like to be on the right side of legal.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: How concealed is concealed enough?

Quote Originally Posted by burn.orange View Post
    I know that no part of the firearm can be hanging out in the open, but to what extent is printing a legal concern and what is a social (for lack of a better word) concern?
    Open carry is legal. Your concern would be more valid if you weren't going to be licensed, and needed to avoid being accused of concealing illegally.

If licensed, your firearm can be completely hidden, completely visible, or anywhere in between. There is no legal concern with printing and many here have open carried for years with little to no 'social concern'.

(Bucks County)

I think your only concern with printing, if you have a LTCF, would be personal choice...i.e. how concealed you want to be.

There are those here who dislike "sloppy CC" and think a conceal should be 100% concealed...but legally, with the license, you can conceal however is comfy for you.

When I wear mine IWB (instead of handbag) its fairly obvious, at least to those who know me, because I never used to wear belts or anything but when I carry I have a heavy duty belt under my untucked shirt, and the IWB holster....just for an LCP though but still compared to what I used to wear, you can definitely tell. However most likely people in public aren't going to notice anything, or they'll think I'm wearing a cell phone on my belt or something.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Jefferson County)

Since no license is needed to have a handgun duct taped to your face while afoot outside of Philly - there is absolutely no requirement that the gun be concealed.

The offense is when the gun is concealed or carried in a vehicle. The LTCF provides an exemption from the prohibited act of concealment/vehicle carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

This is concealed enough for me on a daily basis.

Open carry is legal on foot without a LTCF anytime and anywhere in PA with the exceptions being during a declared state of emergency and in Philadelphia. Once you have the LTCF you can open carry in a vehicle, during a DSoE and in Philly as well.

Note: I would also avoid open carrying in State Parks until the DCNR gets put in its place.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; June 24th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

So it's entirely a social concern and not a legal concern? (for someone with a proper permit to carry)

I'm not going to be open carrying, walking into a negotiation with an exposed firearm would probably create complications. But I'm not going to have to worry about someone seeing an odd bulge when i'm bending, sitting, etc.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by burn.orange View Post
    So it's entirely a social concern and not a legal concern? (for someone with a proper permit to carry)

I'm not going to be open carrying, walking into a negotiation with an exposed firearm would probably create complications. But I'm not going to have to worry about someone seeing an odd bulge when i'm bending, sitting, etc.
    No, don't worry about it.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

Thanks for the quick responses. It's so hard to find good information about these sorts of thing between there being 1000 different laws because no two states are the same and the amount of questionable-at-best opinions floating around the internet.

As others have said, if you have a ltcf you really don't have to worry about how much of the gun is showing since open carry is legal. But be aware that just because you know the law not everyone does.

I have read stories on this site where some people think that having a ltcf means you have to conceal carry. This is not true. Also the police do not always know all the laws either. This is part of the reason why you are doing the right thing getting as much info as you can now.

The really important thing if you are considering carrying (open or concealed) is where you can carry. This site has a good primer that you should check out if you haven't already.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Lancaster County)

Since you're new, I suggest you watch this educational video on how not to be seen.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast