Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default RIA Micromag 1911A1 9mm/22 tcm

I know this has been discussed before, but I see this gun is available again for $563 and I'm trying to decide if I want to take the plunge. Obviously comes with the two barrels - so always have the 9mm option. I haven't heard much about the 22 tcm cartridge. Any thoughts on the round or the gun?

Default Re: RIA Micromag 1911A1 9mm/22 tcm

.22 TCM on Google and Youtube. There are some things out there on it. The gun, of coruse, is a GI full size 1911 and are proven to be very reliable. Rounds are $.45 each, so it is a little expensive, but that is still cheaper than match ammo for a 9mm or a 45. I'd think shooting stuff with it (soda cans 60 or 70 yards out) would be good for some kicks and giggles. Two guns for that price is a good deal.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

Wouldn't you be better served with a PMR-30? It doesn't have the 1911 style going for it but it holds 30 rounds, cost less and uses the much more common 22 WMR.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Wouldn't you be better served with a PMR-30? It doesn't have the 1911 style going for it but it holds 30 rounds, cost less and uses the much more common 22 WMR.
    Practically speaking, yes. But I am looking more for the "different" factor - lol. Plus, although I know the PMR seems to be a quality gun, I have not and probably will not go with any Kel-Tec pistols - I only go "so low" on the food chain That coming from a guy that loves Llama's and buys the occasional Taurus - go figure!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Practically speaking, yes. But I am looking more for the "different" factor - lol. Plus, although I know the PMR seems to be a quality gun, I have not and probably will not go with any Kel-Tec pistols - I only go "so low" on the food chain That coming from a guy that loves Llama's and buys the occasional Taurus - go figure!
    I hear ya, I don't know much about Kel-Tec's quality but weapons like the PMR are just so "neat" in concept. I know RIA makes a great product but that caliber is on the rare side, it's not like you can walk into Wal-Mart and buy some.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Cumberland County)

Snob

I don't think the two guns (The PMR-30 and the TCM 22) are very much a like at all, aside from sharing a caliber. And only a caliber, not a round. The TCM .22 seems to be a little more energetic than .22wmr (It's also centerfire). Also, being able to simply convert it to 9mm is a big deal.

Not saying I don't want both of them.

(Monroe County)

Iwould like to see a couple other manufacturers pick up on the tcm before jumping on one.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Philadelphia County)

I know this has been discussed before, but I see this gun is available again for $563 and I'm trying to decide if I want to take the plunge. Obviously comes with the two barrels - so always have the 9mm option. I haven't heard much about the 22 tcm cartridge. Any thoughts on the round or the gun?
    Buy it and if you don't like it you can sell it to me for the original price +/- 20-40$ a month or two from now.

(York County)

The concept behind the 22tcm is what matters. The round was engineered and developed by shortening and necking down the. 223 to pistol length. The idea was to develope a light, fast, accurate, easy to shoot round in a high capacity package. Here you have a cartridge which launches a 40 grain projectile at near 2100 fps. Placed into a double stack 1911 pistol that holds 18+1 ( 17+1 in 9mm ), you have a formidable weapon. Firing a semi jacketed trundicated cone or hollow point round at 2100 fps, accurately enough to hit groupings of less than 2 inches at 25 yards, and with impact energy similar to the hottest 5.7 or about 400 lbs. I think the cartridge would be effective on everything up to coyote out to 50 yards, and would be an effective personal defense cartridge, at least as effective as a 9mm. Rounds are becoming available from multiple sources, and you can save money, as I understand you can send your brass back to RIA and they'll reload it for you.
    I think as the cartridge gains traction, you'll see conversion kits for Glock and Beretta be introduced as well. I wouldn't mind seeing EAA or Sig conversions as well. I could see a Sig 229 in. 22tcm or a Glock 19, something small and concealable that the cartridge wouldn't overpower with excess recoil.

(Northumberland County)

Well this thread has got a little dust on it but I was watching some videos on the .22tcm.

I like the idea of the round, but I'm not sure what it's purpose is supposed to be.

It looks like it would be a decent defensive round, but I'm just not sold on tossing 40gr bullets at someone hell bent on killing me. Maybe if you could load them with one of CCIs segmented rounds or perhaps a ballistic tipped .22 bullet, something that would dump energy fast and hard. Also while the 1911 is a great platform I would really like to see this round in a BUG sized platform. I was thinking like LC9 sized, although I'm not sure if a small polymer frame would hold up to the round. However if someone could make it work in a pocket gun, I would want to make that first shot count, especially at night. From what I saw in the Youtube videos the muzzle flash and report this round produces is nuts. In a pocket gun format it would be like carrying around a mag full of mini flashbangs.

With it's speed and lighter recoil I imagine that it could be on hell of a target round. I'm not sure what the rules are for USPA or IDPA, I've never really looked into either but this could be a viable option.I would think.

I would like to see some companies embrace this round I think it is very interesting. I think a carbine would be very cool. My fear however is that it will suffer the fate of the .17hm2. The hm2 was cool because you could get .22 mag speeds from a .22lr sized case, but it is priced about the same as .22 mag so why not just get a .22 mag. Or better yet send a little more for ammo and get a .17hmr. I'm just not sure this round does anything that the 5.7x28 doesn't already do other than it is a little shorter.

Maybe I'm way off base here I'm not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast