Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Tip for cleaning 1911 Extractor channel

Since shooting reloads using Bullseye, my 1911 gets really dirty, especially around the extractor. Anyone who owns a 1911 knows how important it is to keep the tension of the extractor just right or else it creates all kinds of problems with feeding and ejection. Normally I spray some cleaner down the channel and wipe it out with a Q tip. After doing that today, I looked down and could see a bunch of stuck carbon deposits. Repeated the process several times and it was still there. Decided to try my .223 cleaning brush and it fit in the channel just fine. Ran it through a couple of times and then sprayed it and swabbed it out again. Clean as a whistle this time.

Carbon can build up in the channel and if it gets too bad, can increase the pressure on the extractor which in turn can create feeding and ejection issues. For all you 1911 owners out there, whenever you clean your gun, be sure not to neglect this often forgotten component. Doing a thorough cleaning by stripping down the slide can be the answer to many people's nightmares with these guns.

Always check your extractor tension after you do a strip and clean. You may inadvertently tweak the rod and throw off the tension. A simple drop on the floor or work bench can throw everything off.

I typically put a light coating of oil on the extractor rod to lubricate it and protect it from rusting. Then wipe it off to eliminate any excess where burn carbon can cling to and build up. All you need is to get oil into the pores of the metal and not having it dripping wet.

Hope this helps out any new or even older 1911 owners that have the typical headaches.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Tip for cleaning 1911 Extractor channel

I have an internal extractor. Guess I need to learn how to clean that

I've never had problems with an extractor. I typically take them out of the guns I shoot, alot, maybe once a year. Nice thin coat of Bel Ray synthetic grease after a good scrub and back they go.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Reloads sure to foul up the extractor, extractor channel and firing pin channel pretty good. I love this tool for pulling the extractor:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...t/ARMORER-TOOL

It is excellent in getting the hook into the channel without causing any damage. It also is very good for scratching reload gunk out of cracks, crannies, etc.

(Erie County)

Buildup of crud in the extractor claw area is more of an issue than crud in the channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Things might clean up a bit if you increase chamber pressure for a more complete burn. Usually it's only light charges that leave substantial deposits. Maybe try another .2 of a grain.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Susquehanna County)

Funny, I have periodically disassembled and cleaned my firing pin and extractor and their ways. I simply push the firing pin in with a small tool and slide the firing pin stop out, then I use the tool to get under the groove in the extractor where the firing pin stop slides in and pry the extracor out. Very easy now to toothbrush and wipe it down. A Q-Tip soaked in Hoope's #9 cleans the gunk out and a dry Q-tip removes the excess cleaning solvent. (From both the firing pin and extractor tunnels) Just reverse the steps and reassemble.

AFAIC the best references for maintaining and detail stripping a M1911 series pistol is the Army publication Pistols and Revolvers, Field Manual 23-35 Dated September 1971. Or TM9-1005-211-12 (this was the Army Armorer"s manual).

Get either or both, you won't be sorry!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    Since shooting reloads using Bullseye, my 1911 gets really dirty, especially around the extractor. Anyone who owns a 1911 knows how important it is to keep the tension of the extractor just right or else it creates all kinds of problems with feeding and ejection. Normally I spray some cleaner down the channel and wipe it out with a Q tip. After doing that today, I looked down and could see a bunch of stuck carbon deposits. Repeated the process several times and it was still there. Decided to try my .223 cleaning brush and it fit in the channel just fine. Ran it through a couple of times and then sprayed it and swabbed it out again. Clean as a whistle this time.

Carbon can build up in the channel and if it gets too bad, can increase the pressure on the extractor which in turn can create feeding and ejection issues. For all you 1911 owners out there, whenever you clean your gun, be sure not to neglect this often forgotten component. Doing a thorough cleaning by stripping down the slide can be the answer to many people's nightmares with these guns.

Always check your extractor tension after you do a strip and clean. You may inadvertently tweak the rod and throw off the tension. A simple drop on the floor or work bench can throw everything off.

I typically put a light coating of oil on the extractor rod to lubricate it and protect it from rusting. Then wipe it off to eliminate any excess where burn carbon can cling to and build up. All you need is to get oil into the pores of the metal and not having it dripping wet.

Hope this helps out any new or even older 1911 owners that have the typical headaches.
    I also use Bullseye powder, but do not go over 500 rounds intervals between complete cleaning, I usually field strip my pistol remove the grip panels and drop the parts in a pot of rapidly boiling water for 10 minuted with a bit of simple green degreaser and everything comes out spic & span, set the parts to rinse, re-lube, and ready to go another 500 round, never have to go further then a field strip, but thanks for sharing.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun