Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PA Non resident

(Bucks County)

Default PA Non resident

What is a "nice" way of informing a PA Sheriff that they don't get to decide not to issue a LTCF to a non-PA resident based solely on non-resident status?

(York County)

Default Re: PA Non resident

Step 1: Pack a lunch, 'cause you're going to be a while. Include much coffee and doughnuts!

Step 2: You're probably going to have to show that a Sheriff may only legally refuse to process or refuse to issue for clearly listed and defined reasons enumerated within the statutes.

Hopefully you can do this without said Sheriff digging in his heels in defense of his preconceived notions.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    What is a "nice" way of informing a PA Sheriff that they don't get to decide not to issue a LTCF to a non-PA resident based solely on non-resident status?
    Is there a local representative that might be willing to call up, or formally write, said Sheriff and inform him of the facts of the law?

I'm thinking don't be nice, just be professional in what you say and write. Write the Sheriff, the county solicitor and DA, and get in contact with local media about it. That tactic has worked before, I suspect it can work again.

I am drowning in a stack of letters/requests that I have to work through, otherwise I would volunteer my time to help. I'm just out of most of my time at the moment to help in a significant way.

Is this a local county Sheriff (Berks, Bucks, Lehigh, others in the immediate region)?

(Monroe County)

Do What Rich people do,get an attorney.

I were listening to Tony Brown on the Radio once and he actually said this "there is a reason why people dont fuck with rich people,because they have attorneys that take care of things for them."

THat is why you dont see Rich people (of any race) at rallies, demonstations etc. they let their money speak for them.

Get an attorney to write a letter to the Sheriff and set him straight on the laws, i bet that will get his attention.

(Bucks County)

I just read on an OH Forum that a member just spoke, this week, with Beaver County Sheriff and was informed that they will not issue to Non-PA residents.

Since it is highly unlikely that a OH resident would try to fight the issue, I thought I'd start an email "campaign" to try to get such sheriff's to change their ways.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; June 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

(Indiana County)

I just read on an OH Forum that a member just spoke, this week, with Beaver County Sheriff and was informed that they will not issue to Non-PA residents.

Since it is highly unlikely that a OH resident would try to fight the issue, I thought I'd start an email "campaign" to try to get such sheriff's to change their ways.
    Will Ohio issue one to me as a PA resident?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Will Ohio issue one to me as a PA resident?
    No...but it's written into OH law that an applicant must be a resident. PA has not such restriction.

(Montgomery County)

I've heard that Bucks and Montco will not issue out to non-residents also.

(Indiana County)

No...but it's written into OH law that an applicant must be a resident. PA has not such restriction.
    Just wondering.
    I haven't set foot in Ohio for over 15 years but had thought about taking the kids to the zoo and maybe a few other places in the near future.
    I know they don't honor our license, and I'm not paying for a Utah one, so I'll just rethink my plans and find stuff at home and in West Virginia to do where my money is welcome.