Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default Which Range to Join? CSLC or KSA?

Hello, I just started working in the Williamsport Area about 2 years ago and am looking to get back into target shooting. Which of these locations would you recommend? I used to belong to Buffalo Valley Sportsman's Association but would prefer one of these b/c they are closer to work so I can go target shooting afterwards.

From what I have read this is what I have come up with. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Keystone Sportsmans Association
    Pros: Less expensive, can take a guest, $300 for lifetime membership

Consolidated Sportsmans of Lycoming County
    Pros: Indoor pistol range (would be amazing for during the winter)
    Cons: General membership does not allow a guest unless they are a spouse or child under 18. Lifetime membership price is not listed (have to contact board, which makes me think it is variable)

Do either of these clubs/associations have "open" days for someone to try out the facilities? I have not target shot regularly for about 10 years since I worked on a shooting range at Camp Karoondinha (a local Boy Scout camp) due to being busy with undergrad/grad school. I would like to get back into pistol shooting and eventually try some Hi-power competitions (this would be 1-2 years away, I need a lot of practice!). I've been researching the best firearm for those competitions and will be researching this forever (but I do not want to start that debate, I've seen it on other forums!). I plan on staying in the area for a lifetime so the lifetime memberships are appealing.

Thank you for any assistance you can help in getting a sportsman back into the sport!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Which Range to Join? CSLC or KSA?

I shoot at both clubs pretty frequently and I first would like to say they are both good clubs.

If your main purpose will be pistol shooting I would say CSLC has a better range to offer. KSA has a nice range and I think its set up at about 10 yards but, CSLC has backstops from 3 yards out to 25 yards which gives you more options for shooting.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Lycoming County)

I have been to both and both have their pros and cons. However I do belong to CSLC. I like CSLC mainly for the different ranges available, its closer then KSA, and KSA shuts down the rifle range during a sheet shoot I do not believe this happens at CSLC. But thats just my opinion.

(Lycoming County)

KSA is a smaller more private club that is focused on Trap Shooting, IDPA Pistol Shooting, CMP Service Rifle and general pistol shooting. The Rifle Range is 200 meters. They have a nice clubhouse that is open to Senior Members....use to be $60 a year.

CSLC is a more public club with over 500 Life Members ($500) and 1500 Annual members ($50). Both Memberships include spouse and children under 18 or in college. They have Archery, Skeet, Trap, 500M Rifle Range (100, 200& 380yd backstops) with animal swingers at 200, 300, 400 & 500M, NRA Sanctioned Silouette Matches for small bore, big bore and lever action, 100yd Smallbore Rifle Range, Indoor & Outdoor Pistol Range, CMP and Service Rifle Matches, Campgrounds with full hookups, Loyalsock Creek for Fishing, Swimming & Diving (scuba). Hunting is allowed all seasons except no Doe Hunting. About 80 acres of ranges and 140 acres of forest. Trap & Skeet have small clubhouses and the club has a large building for special activities/dinners/Indoor Air Gun Training.

Both Clubs are nice and located about 20 miles apart. I have belonged to both at the same time but CSLC is a 10 mile drive and KSA is 40 mile drive for me. I have a Life Membership at CSLC but still have friends at KSA, Mike.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Columbia County)

At ksa monday nites from april on we have monday nite pistol club. Open to the public and cost a buck. As far as high power goes dont worry about shooting good just come play and have fun. If you have a garand or an 03 we have m2 ball for 5 dollars. Idpa is a good time and your first match is free. As far as trap we even have loaner guns