Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: New from Carlisle

I'm glad to see no paws on the trigger. Welcome to pafoa.

(Mercer County)

I'd say you guys have dove in head first! I'm glad to hear that you guys have taken a more proactive role in your self defense. Now, I strongly recommend that you invest in some professional training so that you can utilize those new tools effectively as possible.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Cumberland County)

Adams County Sport Handgunners Association has a ladies only NRA Basic Handgun safety class coming up in Mid-July. They had there co-ed class earlier this month. They also do an NRA personal protection in the home class, but you have to do the NRA Basic class first (at least you used to, its been about 4 years since I've done it).

As far as reloading, as long as you are conscientious, its not a hard process. The important parts is just paying attention to what you are doing and making sure that you are using good, safe data. If you want to PM me, I'll be glad to do what I can to help you get started.
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Cumberland County)

As far as ammo cost, probably 12 to 17 cents around. The last bullets that I got, were from Precision Delta, if you order 2000 or more in even number quantity, they ship free. For 9mm 115grs, they are $82/1000 or 8.2 cents each. Powder runs ~$20/lb or a little more, there are 7000 grains in a pound, roughly 4 grains of powder in a round (ballpark) you are looking at about 1 cent for powder, give or take a couple of tenths of a cent. Primers are about $35/1000, 3.5 cents each. If you are going to be reloading mostly pistol, look at a progressive press, trust me, it is a PAIN to reload any moderate to large volume of pistol ammo on a single stage press. Dillon makes nice stuff and I haven't heard anything bad about their customer service, personally I have a hornady lock and load which works pretty nice, the newer models have a few touches that are nicer than mine. If you buy the hornady Lock and load AP, hornady will send you 500 bullets.

(Cumberland County)

Bullets will be a little more expensive with the .45, Precision delta has 1k 230FMJ's for $130

Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Association (http://www.msa-pa.org/) and Carlisle Fish and Game (http://www.carlislefishandgame.org/) offer NRA classes.

Mechanicsburg also offers a reloading class. I would recommend taking the class first as it will give you an opportunity to try out some of the different tools before you make a purchase.

Welcome and good luck.