Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: I killed a Rottweiler... with my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    My dogs can go to about 2 feet from the edge of my grass. Depending on what you are doing if I am not out they may "charge" to that point. If I am out they obey my verbal commands.

If they don't leave my grass you have no rights regardless as to your neurosis or paranoia.
    I believe according to PA state law, that it is legal to kill any dog attacking or pursuing a human.

I don't think there is a stipulation as to whether or not the dog is on the owner's property.

(Cumberland County)

Although they have been trained to an E-fence it doesn't matter whether the collar is on or not they will not breach that line. To the uninformed they appear unrestrained BUT on my property.

Just a heads up. There are numerous cases of an excited dog that is charging someone or some thing that will break right through the shock of the e-fence. The adrenalin gets flowing, the dog gets focused and ignores the pain and breaks right through.

So I'd not depend on an e-fence stopping a charging dog or be any type of guaranteed deterrent.

(Lehigh County)

I would like to settle some ruffled feathers here. I posted my story because it is a positive reflection of what training and preparedness mean in an unanticipated event. Had I not trained myself to react calmly, and in a focused manner, things might have turned out like so many of the recent dog shooting stories. I would have hated to have shot a dog, but even my own dog would lose out if it threatened my wife or child.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by itguy11 View Post
    Just a heads up. There are numerous cases of an excited dog that is charging someone or some thing that will break right through the shock of the e-fence. The adrenalin gets flowing, the dog gets focused and ignores the pain and breaks right through.

So I'd not depend on an e-fence stopping a charging dog or be any type of guaranteed deterrent.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been training mostly GSDs for almost 40 years and have had almost a dozen on one type of E-fence or another.
    The E-fence isn't the main containment, constant training is.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    I believe according to PA state law, that it is legal to kill any dog attacking or pursuing a human.

I don't think there is a stipulation as to whether or not the dog is on the owner's property.
    Please site the law that would allow a person to shoot my dog that hasn't left my property. If he is on my property and you are not please tell me how you are being attacked? He cannot attack you if you are not trespassing. If you are trespassing the last worry you have is my dogs.

(Dauphin County)

Please site the law that would allow a person to shoot my dog that hasn't left my property. If he is on my property and you are not please tell me how you are being attacked? He cannot attack you if you are not trespassing. If you are trespassing the last worry you have is my dogs.
    The statute regarding "dogs as nuisances" doesn't make a distinction about whose property the dog is on, if the dog is "pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings".

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...9_502.htm#s501
    § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.
    As for trespassing I can't speak to your property specifically, but there are lots of people all across PA whose property has at least some part which one wouldn't be trespassing to be on. For instance, in the absence of signage or a gate or other indication to the contrary, it's generally legal (not trespassing) to walk up to someone's front door and knock on it.
    Last edited by twency; June 12th, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

if the dog had been holding a cell phone you would have been justified in shooting it.

(Dauphin County)

Had the op been a LEO and shot the dog as it "charged" everybody here would be cop bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    But she was a good dog, so she's perfectly fine.

And now: the rest of the story.

I was out for a stroll through the neighborhood with my wife, new baby girl, and our jaunty little west highland terrier on Sunday afternoon. We casually know most of the folks... and all of the dogs. I am always a "head on a swivel" kind of guy, and I always carry. I was CC'ing my .45 commander (Kimber crimson trace II in crossbreed supertuck), myself on the outboard side of the sidewalk (with the leashed dog), my wife on the inboard side with the baby in a carrier sling.

We rounded a hedge dividing two yards and there, sitting on the front porch (about 25 feet in from the walk), was an absolute hulk of a Rottweiler. Heavy choker collar and harness, but not leashed. An older woman bent over in the flower garden (exactly like those painted silhouettes you see) at the other end of the house pulling weeds doesn't notice our presence.

I cleared my shirt as the Rotty stood up. I stepped between the beast and my wife and child, and pulled short my own dog's leash.

The Rotty growled, its hackles up. I touched the pistol grip. I mentally committed to shooting this dog the moment it came at us. The 25 feet would have been covered in about 2 seconds (thank you, combat shooting skills!)

"PRISSY! DOWN!", bellows the old lady. Prissy? Are you shitting me? The dog whimpered, then sat back on its haunches, never taking it's eyes off of us.

I dropped my shirt, but stayed between Prissy and my girls & dog till we passed by. The woman looks up as we pass her and says "Hello" and sees the baby and my dog. She says, "beautiful day for a family walk!". I nod and say I should be weeding my own lawn instead of relaxing. She mentions she's here for the weekend visiting her daughter with her "little puppy". We smile, and casually move along.

Prissy is still watching us. I'm still watching her. It's then that I notice my heart beating faster, a twitch in my fingers... The slow, deep breaths. My wife's eyes still wide.

And that, friends, is the closest I have ever come (as a civillian) to using my firearm in the past 7 years. And what a set of circumstances to have surrounding it. Wife... Newborn... Best buddy. I like most dogs more than I like most people. But I can honestly report that I did not hesitate, freeze up, or fumble my almost-draw/shoot. I was wholly committed to the action. That alone is a testament to what training and repetition can do for you. I am certainly thankful for the time I spent slapping leather in the mirror like some fool cowboy, at the range, and in my brain. Doesn't seem foolish at all.

Well done sir! Please excuse the typo in your rep.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    The statute regarding "dogs as nuisances" doesn't make a distinction about whose property the dog is on, if the dog is "pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings".

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...9_502.htm#s501
    Thanks for posting that; I never would have guessed. Personally, I'd probably let the dog get a taste before I shot it. But if the kids were with me, that's another matter.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast