Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Are there any lifetime warranties on tip up barrel 22 semi auto pistols?

Hi,

I am looking for a 22LR or 22 short tip up barrel pistol that is made by a life time warranty gun manufacturer that you can recommend. I had double rotary cuff surgeries that failed and I can no longer handle 9mm. I only want a mouse gun that I can carry as a last resort. Disabled people are easy marks for the human predators.

Thanks,

yr613

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Are there any lifetime warranties on tip up barrel 22 semi auto pistols?

AS a major Gun maker Beretta has the worst Customer service in the Gun Business, but they will honor anything they make, Taurus has a Lifetime Warrany on anything they make, but bear in mind that the Taurus tip up barrel .22' are DAO's, i dont have the Taurus but i have a Beretta .22 Bobcat which has been flawless since day one as long as i shoot hot ammo in it. Its very accurate too.

Also Beretta makes.
    a tip up barrel in .380 if you want to go up a little in caliber

But yes anyone you get you will be covered for life.

I own 6 Berettas and 4 Taurus' and they never break, good luck and let us know what you get.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Are there any lifetime warranties on tip up barrel 22 semi auto pistols?

Taurus has a lifetime warranty, and I'll be guessing you'll need it.......

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...=SF1&toggle=tp

Some examples above of the gun you described.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Lehigh County)

is there any reason is has to be a tip up barrel? .22 or .32 cal in semi auto, you have your pick of the litter, with minimal recoil. how about a derringer in .22l? you are limited to 2 shots but it is very easy to conceal.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    is there any reason is has to be a tip up barrel? .22 or .32 cal in semi auto, you have your pick of the litter, with minimal recoil. how about a derringer in .22l? you are limited to 2 shots but it is very easy to conceal.
    The tip-up barrel pistols I believe that the OP is discussing are ones like the Taurus PT-22. They're semi-automatic, not single shot. The tip-up barrel is just a feature for easy loading of the first round.

Beretta don't have LTW, but Taurus does. All Taurus 22s,25s,32s, & 380s have LTW, all Taurus have LTWs. Most times in the past I've had to send my Taurus in for work, never had to send a Beretta in after 25+ years.

Recently 3 yrs ago I bought a 24/7 40 cal never had to send it in, Taurus has QC has gotten better.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 12th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    The tip-up barrel pistols I believe that the OP is discussing are ones like the Taurus PT-22. They're semi-automatic, not single shot. The tip-up barrel is just a feature for easy loading of the first round.
    i never said they were single shot! i know what tip up barrels are for, what is your point? you didn't try to help the OP, just bash me. the OP never said anything about racking a slide, that's why i asked why must it be a tip up. then again, i just offered some suggestions with lower recoil and a wider variety, you contribute nothing constructive. Seriously, if you have nothing positive to offer, stay out of the conversation.
    Last edited by tonyfac; June 11th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you everyone who answered me. It is now between Beretta bobcat 21a 22lr and the Taurus pt 22 22lr.

If you were me, who would you go with. Some said Beretta bobcat is very accurate but I intend to have this weapon for years to come. It will be my only weapon.

Also what ammo should I use?

Since it is small, is there a holster that can be used for both hands. I am having surgery this week on my RIGHT rotary cuff so I need a left hand holster right now and then after the RIGHT recovers, Gd willing, I will have the LEFT one done.

Thanks again

yr613

(Bucks County)

I got a brand new Taurus PT22 for my wife and it was complete junk. It was an impulse buy because it had pink grips and my wife's birthday was coming up. I sold it for $100 shortly thereafter.

There was a problem with the magazine safety. It was a little tab in the back of the mag well that gets compressed when you insert a mag. Well that tab was getting hung up on the top round of a loaded magazine when you tried to remove the mag. It would hang up on the edge of the case, which is a HUGE safety hazard because it's rimfire ammo. You had to really grab the mag and rip it out with force to get it out.

Also, you could not consistently chamber a round from the magazine. Most of the time the next round would just jam into the feed ramp. I know, it's intended to be loaded by using the tip-up barrel, but I should be able to rack the slide and chamber a round. What if you have a malfunction?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I got a brand new Taurus PT22 for my wife and it was complete junk. It was an impulse buy because it had pink grips and my wife's birthday was coming up. I sold it for $100 shortly thereafter.

There was a problem with the magazine safety. It was a little tab in the back of the mag well that gets compressed when you insert a mag. Well that tab was getting hung up on the top round of a loaded magazine when you tried to remove the mag. It would hang up on the edge of the case, which is a HUGE safety hazard because it's rimfire ammo. You had to really grab the mag and rip it out with force to get it out.

Also, you could not consistently chamber a round from the magazine. Most of the time the next round would just jam into the feed ramp. I know, it's intended to be loaded by using the tip-up barrel, but I should be able to rack the slide and chamber a round. What if you have a malfunction?
    One of the biggest issues with tip up barrels is just that, malfunction clearance. Imagine a failure to eject, you have to open the action and coax the empty out. Maybe it'll fall right out, maybe it won't. With rimfire ammo it can be a crapshoot.

I think it would be wise for the OP to look into .22 magnum revolvers, or perhaps even something like the .327 magnum, or its .32 caliber siblings. Low on recoil, easy manual of arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast