Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Something I heard

I have never seen in writing or heard of this before. But I was talking to a guy the other day and LTCF came up, he said because of his long term Physical disability he would need a release from his Doctor too apply for his LTCF, I ask if he was taking strong narcotics and he said no. I believe this to be bad information on his part, but thought I would ask.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Something I heard

Patently false, there's nothing in the law requiring that.

(Westmoreland County)

I felt silly even asking this. But this did not concern me personally, I knew I had never seen this in what I have read or on the application or any of the renewal applications for my LTCF. But its always best to double check before adding to all the misinformation already out there.

(York County)

I agree, this is not just false, but insulting. I didn't apply for my ltcf until after I became disabled, and there was no question asked about my disability. Now, that being said, the disability needs to be quantified. Application for an ltcf has no concerns for a physical disability, but a mental or developmental disability is a different issue. The application, if I remember correctly, does ask psychiatric questions similar to what is on the gun purchase forms. That would be the only area of disability that could be questioned, in my opinion. Your question of being on strong narcotics was a good one. My father didn't have an ltcf, but if he had when he was on chemotherapy, I would have taken his weapon away for his own good. On the opposite side of that equation, I am on strong narcotic pain releavers all the time, and have been for a long time. When used properly for pain relief, and not abused for recreation, there is no mental alteration factor. The body gets what is required to lower the pain level, and the brain developes a functional tolerance. It's only when these drugs are abused, or if your being over medicated, that it becomes an issue. You probably don't know, but how or why did your friend consult his doctor concerning his applying for an ltcf? I wouldn't expect my doctor to possess accurate knowledge and information regarding this issue, being its not a medical question.

(Westmoreland County)

I really don’t know the person in question, Just someone who ask if he could shoot on my range, He seemed fine and owned two handguns that he told me he had bought at a local gun shop. He told me his disability was Muscular related and long term, he did say he was also diabetic, but if under control I could not see anything too prohibit the LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    The application, if I remember correctly, does ask psychiatric questions similar to what is on the gun purchase forms.
    The LTCF application asks about involuntary commitment and/or adjudication of mental incompetence. Strictly speaking, these are legal, not medical, questions. A physical or mental illness or disability, by itself, should have no bearing on the LTCF application.

I suspect the source of confusion is that the the PA driver's license application, requires a doctor's letter for certain medical conditions, particularly (like diabetes) those that could cause loss of consciousness or seizure. The person mentioned in the OP may be assuming that the process is similar.

(Erie County)

Wonder if he was confusing the Act 235 Lethal Weapons Certification, which requires both physical and psychological exams, with the LTCF?
    Last edited by Donpsyd; June 10th, 2012 at 10:04 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Well, when I went to get my prints for my Florida license there was a gentleman in a wheelchair getting his LTCF renewal, so uhm...ya, that's not true.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I have never seen in writing or heard of this before. But I was talking to a guy the other day and LTCF came up, he said because of his long term Physical disability he would need a release from his Doctor too apply for his LTCF, I ask if he was taking strong narcotics and he said no. I believe this to be bad information on his part, but thought I would ask.
    Some sheriffs require extra steps to get a LTCF, which is not legal, but it does not stop them from doing it... His story may or may not be true. One way to find out would be to find out what county he is in, and ask the sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by badey View Post
    Some sheriffs require extra steps to get a LTCF, which is not legal, but it does not stop them from doing it... His story may or may not be true. One way to find out would be to find out what county he is in, and ask the sheriff.
    If, in fact, there is a sheriff discriminating on the basis of disability, that's just begging for a lawsuit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast