Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why you don't mess with old farts

Colonel Rex Applegate was an army officer attached to the O.S.S. in world war 2. He taught CQB to the agents and special forces. Col. Applegate was in his 80's when 3 young punks tried to mug him outside his hotel. By the time the police arrived, he had already delivered a lesson to all 3 with his cane.

I've always said, never mess with the old guy. You don't know where he's been or what he used to be. Besides, if he's really old, he probably has less to lose than you do!

Terry
    "One Shot, Twelve Kills - U.S. Naval Gun Fire Support"

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Never mess with an old man, if he is too old to fight, he will just kill you!
    That's kinda' like I always say. Don't pick a fight with an old man, because when he gets tired of fighting, he might just kill you.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    That's kinda' like I always say. Don't pick a fight with an old man, because when he gets tired of fighting, he might just kill you.
    Haha well put.

OP- thanks for sharing. Great story.

(Monroe County)

Well put dman.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a neighbor 20 years YOUNGER than me (to date myself, I'm a VietNam Vet) and in better physical shape than me but he's very much afraid of me. I've never laid a hand on him or pulled my pistol at him but he knows enough NOT to push my buttons.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Very true.

Reminds me of the movie "Gran Torino."

Noah
    I was thinking "Falling Down" too.

Quote Originally Posted by njmike View Post
    I have a neighbor 20 years YOUNGER than me (to date myself, I'm a VietNam Vet) and in better physical shape than me but he's very much afraid of me. I've never laid a hand on him or pulled my pistol at him but he knows enough NOT to push my buttons.
    It has to do with the way someone carries themselves. Human nature picks up on weakness....and strength. Act like a victim and eventually you'll be treated like a victim. Display an awareness, a vibe that telegraphs your reluctance to dance with fools and you tend to be left alone. Failing that you just may have to prove that reluctance to someone not paying reasonable attention.

My daughters have mentioned a time or two that their friends are afraid of me. I never get tough with those friends, I never challenge them on things (unless actions on their part dictate I let them know who's house their in) and generally am a friendly guy who doesn't mind a bunch of kids in his house. But they pick up the vibe. I'm not the guy you want to act like a fool around, or to. Oddly, I'm a favored parental unit among their friends. I guess respect has it's benefits.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    It has to do with the way someone carries themselves. Human nature picks up on weakness....and strength. Act like a victim and eventually you'll be treated like a victim. Display an awareness, a vibe that telegraphs your reluctance to dance with fools and you tend to be left alone. Failing that you just may have to prove that reluctance to someone not paying reasonable attention.

My daughters have mentioned a time or two that their friends are afraid of me. I never get tough with those friends, I never challenge them on things (unless actions on their part dictate I let them know who's house their in) and generally am a friendly guy who doesn't mind a bunch of kids in his house. But they pick up the vibe. I'm not the guy you want to act like a fool around, or to. Oddly, I'm a favored parental unit among their friends. I guess respect has it's benefits.
    I get that alot on my job. People are always telling me that they or someone else is afraid of me. My Director and Manager are afraid of me. I am basically a nice person, but when it comes to work, I expect it to be done according to policy and procedure, I do not tolerate slackers. And I definitely do not take any guff from my coworkers on a personal note, as this has happened maybe 5 times in 30 years. Even on public transportation, questionable people seem to not want to sit with me. I always make eye contact, give a good morning, have a nice day, but I just don't take crap and I hate drama, but will not run from it.

My Director told me that I am too rigid. I repeated to him what I learned from the Pastor of Moore Life Ministries:

"Tolerance is the first step of conformity."

That is what is wrong with this world today, It tolerates poor performances, foolishness, perversions, criminals, etc. By lowering standards, the ways of the low lifes/slackers have now become the new standard.

But I really am a nice person, at least I think so.

(Tioga County)

When my kids was in school they often told me that their friends was afraid of me as they never know if I had a gun or not in my vehicle. Like some of us on this board I guess that they just picked up on the vib of not to mess with me. I've also heard this from others at different places that I've worked over the years but it seems like once people got to know me they were lest afraid of me. A few years back there was a person of interest to the police that was running around and my oldest daughter that lives with my mother so mom not living alone works second shift and doesn't get home until 12:30 a.m. was concerned about it. She asked for one of my handguns which I lent her and when asked by some of her co-workers what I told her to do, I had told her to shot and keep on shooting until either he stopped moving or she ran out of ammo, they couldn't believe it but one co-worker told the other co-workers that sounds like something that I would say and he doesn't even know me that will. I'm also of the Vietnam era vets.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I don't know about you but I got tired of fighting 30 yrs. ago.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast