Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Forum Rules & Enforcement Completely Re-vamped and updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Need a way of checking what our point totals are to see how close we are to being banned or getting spanked.
    I'll look into how this works.

Do mods send warnings that we have such and such points?
    When an infraction is issued an email and PM are sent explaining the infraction and the current level of points.

Do we lose points for being good over time?
    Yes, infractions expire, most of them 1 month after issuance.

We will tweak these settings as necessary to make sure everything works properly.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    2 questions, 2 comments...
    Will I be informed of what i did wrong if i ever get points, or god forbid, banned???
    Yes, when a moderator issues an infraction they are required to fill out a field explaining why the infraction is given which is sent in the PM/email the system generates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Sometimes I post a good deal i see on computer related products (very rarely), Will that get me banned??? It's not like I make $ on anything, I just like sharing cash saving items to those of us who are not so well off or like saving $$$.
    I don't think this would be confused as spam, it's obvious you're passing on a good deal. Obviously this will take some judgment on our part. But the different between a member with one post from Nigeria offering iPhones for sale is different than an established member saying "Hey check this out"
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

There's a line between well-placed expletives that add to one's point and looking like a Neanderthal who can't form a thought without swearing 10 times.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!!!

Anyway...I think these rules are pretty straight forward and should be easy for most people to follow.

I was a moderator on a board for a fairly popular TV show with over 15,000 members and let me say...the head admin came up with some pretty unrealistic rules that people had to follow. It was almost as if he was trying to take the fun out of people posting there by making almost everything against the rules. The rules here are well done and seem designed to keep things running smooth. It's a shame that you need them but rules are necessary....at least these aren't extreme at all.

(Lebanon County)

These rules aren't bad at all. Really, the major change is the points system, which is pretty good. I've said it before, there are forums that are policed much more than this one. I've even seen filters that allow no profanity. You enter, "I'm pissed off", it comes up as "I'm urine off". That's ridiculous. Hey, I'm one of the few that have had a temporary ban from here, and I think these rules are OK.

(Jefferson County)

Are the rules ex post facto? Or from the point of change?

Some of us have some posts that would earn us some points from before the change, and upon discovery - would we get popped for them??
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Are the rules ex post facto? Or from the point of change?

Some of us have some posts that would earn us some points from before the change, and upon discovery - would we get popped for them??
    Infractions will not be given for posts in the past (although if it does happen while dealing with a troubled thread, I apologize in advance)

Really though the rules haven't changed. Almost every one of these rules existed in the old ones, we just structured, categorized, and bound specific ways of dealing with them better.

(Susquehanna County)

I agree I think the new rules are OK. At least I believe I can live within them as long as I can still ask questions. That may urineate some people off. Even though there not shots at anyone. But inquiring minds want to know. I'm sorry I even posted that dam Things that piss me off thread now

(Snyder County)

I think these rules are fine. I try to manage myself the same way in public as I do on these forums and I do not feel most of these rules should be a problem for me.

And one thing on the enforcement of these rules. No, the mods don't have time to read every post in every thread. They do a damned good job at getting to most of them though. If there is something that offends you, or you think is against the rules, report it with the ! symbol for the post. This will bring it to their attention sooner and get it taken care of.

And being that I am a member of about 25 other forums, I don't think these rules are over the top. I think they are right in line with the way that most forums expect members to act. If you don't like the rules, don't post.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    How do you measure ass bustin' from personal attack etc? Seems very subjective to me and will result in the mods being busy fellas and many members feeling slighted.
    I can relate to this one. I have gotten into all kinds of trouble over, offers of help, suggestions to expand our searches outside the forum, my suggestions on cleaning up a thread, a suttle joke attempt, up to my opinion. It has gotten to a point, where I am very Leary of what I say and do. And I wasn't trying to be mean or nasty or rude. It was just misread by one or more people, and once one person takes it wrong and responds in writing about it that way. Everyone else sees it that way too. (Well most do) This can be a tricky one. Don't envy you your job on this one.

( I have read the above line over and over and don't think it will offend anyone. If it does, I apologize now )

I think you have done a good job on the rules. Everyone needs a bit of discipline in their lives from time to time. (Now if I can only find a great pic of a dominatrix for that comment.)
    Last edited by Mtbkski; February 22nd, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Thank yall for posting the new rules. Also thank you Danp for addressing so many of the concerns here. I respect all who moderate the forum because it seems like alot of extra work ontop of whatever yall do to make a living.
    I think rules tend to sound harsher than they are.
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast