Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Benelli M3 Super 90 vs. Benelli M4

Good evening.

Did the obligatory search on "Benelli M3" and find posts from 2007 to pictures in 2012. No joy on my topic of interest, so here goes...

Looking for experienced users of the M3 (preferably "and") M4 shotguns for your opinions and experience with this shotgun for home(land) defense, etc.

3 gun experience will be accepted. Specifically, looking for any maintenance or functional issues with the M3, transition to /from auto to pump, versus the M4 limitation on 'light' loads, etc.

I got a hankering, and though I have both pump (Mossberg 500, 835) and auto (Benelli super 90 and Mossberg 930 SPX) arms, I am wh*r!ng for the convertible.

Thanks for your reports and opinions!

Pacer

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Benelli M3 Super 90 vs. Benelli M4

I don't own a Benelli M4, but I do own the Benelli M3 Super 90, and a Benelli M2.

I've owned the M3 for nearly 15 years. I have never had a single malfunction, but I have probably only put 300 rounds thru it in that time. I do like the ability of using it in either pump, or semi.. but to be honest, I rarely use it as a pump. I think if you were serious about using underpowered rounds, non-lethal, etc.. I would suggest the M3. I do like that the collar to lock it from semi to pump is right on the end of the foregrip, so it is simple to give it a quick 1/8 turn and switch to either pump or semi.

I bought a Benelli M2 Field 21" back in march, specifically for three gun. I will say that it is a great handling and light weight shottie. It is perfect for competition shooting, and also for clays with the 28" barrel I have for it.

In the end, the Benelli M3 sits next to the bed with 7 loaded in the tube, and the chamber empty. It is my go to long gun for home defense. I don't think you would have any regrets with either one. The only negative I have heard on the Benelli is that some report reliability issues when you mount a sidesaddle shell holder to them, due to the inertia recoil system. I personally don't care, and use a shell holder on the butt stock anyway.

Hope this helps.. regardless of what you choose, a Benelli is a great choice! If you want to make your way to Chester County.. you are welcome to run as many rounds thru my M3 or M2 that you would like.