Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why shouldn't training be required before purchase of a gun or getting LTCF ??

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    If you read enough threads here, it sounds like plenty of people had NDs or swept shoppers in gun stores or at ranges etc.

Why does no one seem to care that Utah requires a training course to get a License or Permit (or whatever they call it out there)?
    That's the thing. We don't post our daily "non event" stories. How boring would it be if I posted everyday "Whelp, CCed all day as usual, no ND."

See my point? We are only going to read about the bad stuff here, and in the news. Yet while 10 people may have NDed that year, millions of others didn't.

I understand where you're coming from, I simply don't agree that it is an epidemic requiring a restriction on my rights.

As far as what Utah does, I don't care. They aren't PA and we aren't them.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Why shouldn't training be required before purchase of a gun or getting LTCF ??

What group of people are always claiming to be the 'most qualified, most well-trained' when it comes to firearms handling? LEO! Now, scan down the fact sheet a little ways, and see what group also has the most "self-inflicted gunshot wounds, most ND's, most 'accidental' discharges"? Is anybody here surprised it's the same group?
    I served with farm boys that had more safety consciousness on the first day of Boot Camp than the entire Philadelphia Police Department does on their best day.
    So, tell us again what a great idea it is to mandate training before being allowed to exercise our GOD-GIVEN rights!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Why don't you go there and be happy? I don't mean that as an insult. It just seems like a better answer than imposing your desired infringement of rights on other people.
    That answer is extremely insulting.

I'm trying to understand why things are the way they are.

I am not advocating one way or the other.

(Montgomery County)

Why don't you go there and be happy? I don't mean that as an insult. It just seems like a better answer than imposing your desired infringement of rights on other people.

It is hard to believe you are the same person that made this statement not too long ago.

It really is getting sad around here. It's not a place to come and ask for help. Most of the people here are more puritanical and judgemental than you could find in an Iranian Courtroom. I hope nobody from PAFOA is ever on my jury should I ever need one.

Poster: "Hi, I think I made a mistake at the gun shop today. I have a .38 but the box of shells I bought says .38 Super. I shot one but it was really loud so I stopped. Can I shoot them? Can somebody help me?"

PAFOA: "Burn in Hell! I am calling the Sheriff in your county and I hope he can find you and pull your LTCF! I hope you go to jail!"

(Northampton County)

That answer is extremely insulting.

I'm trying to understand why things are the way they are.

I am not advocating one way or the other.
    Oh, now you tell me. It certainly sounded like advocating. Maybe you should have clarified that earlier before getting a case of the ass? Your first post sounded like you were making a case for it.

My answer was not insulting, but you are free to apologize for feeling insulted.

The answer was based on the premise of "Vote with your Feet." There is nothing insulting about that.

Other than the rhetorical "it would be a form of gun control" or "it violates my RKBA"
    I found that a little insulting, but we have all kinds here.

For me I think the government already intrudes into too many parts of our lives controlling how we have to do things. Guns are tools and it is my responsibility to learn how to that tool, not the governments responsibility to force me. Using the same logic you can expand the requirements for classes to other areas.

Want to use a powersaw take a class. It's for your safety
    Want to use a chainsaw, take a class. It's for your safety
    Want to use a power drill, take a class. It's for your safety
    Want to use a hammer, take a class. It's for your safety

In reality the government does not know or care if I have a powersaw, chainsaw etc...... IMO that's the way it should be. I think it should be the same way with a gun.

In addition I have always had a problem with the philosophy of punish the majority for the sins of the minority. A few people screw up, why should I be paying for their mistakes whether it's in time or money.

(Adams County)

to get a drivers lisense in this state you have to have schooling training and testing. yet more people off them selves and others with cars then with guns.

(Luzerne County)

I'm always shocked at the stories I read here of gun handling fails. I've witnessed quite a few myself at the range.

Not a surprise given that the only qualification for gun ownership in PA is age and not having been caught doing something on the prohibited list.

Other than the rhetorical "it would be a form of gun control" or "it violates my RKBA", why shouldn't someone be required to obtain some level of safety training prior to the purchase of a gun?

What is the practical reason?
    There is no "training" required to exercise the first amendment, or the third, fourth, fifth, etc.

There is extensive training and qualification required to legally drive a vehicle, yet 99% of the population sucks at doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    There is no "training" required to exercise the first amendment, or the third, fourth, fifth, etc..
    Then there is the "right shall not be infringed" part in the Constitution.

It does not say " you shall be allowed to own a gun if you jump through these hoops that we are going to arbitrarily make up"

In my opinion it opens the door for more regulation:
    1) who sets the criteria for training?local Politicians? lawyers? Law enforcement?
    2) Who decides who is qualified to set the criteria? Judges? Senators?
    3) What if we elect someone next year who decides that the training criteria is too lax? then what?
    4) What about a free training seminar with the purchase of every firearm? Who would pay for this? Shop keepers? firearm manufacturers?
    5) Who would set the criteria for the free training?

The loop is endless. the result is eventually it will become too prohibitive for the law abiding citizen to own any type of firearms.
    The solution?
    Voluntary training. Read the rules of safe firearm handling. Educate yourself.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast