Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default New gun owner, long time gun enthusiast!

My name is Mike and I recently picked up my Smith and Wesson SW9VE. Yeah yeah, low end but I love this thing, it shoots great, and ammunition is cheap as hell!

The reason I'm posting here is to inquire about some technicalities regarding PA law. As a transplant from Massachusetts, I don't want to end up getting myself into trouble as a result of ignorance of the law. My questions are as follows:

1. As a gun owning resident of PA lacking a LTCF, hunting license, etc., could I legally carry a non-concealed, holstered weapon on my belt? Not that I would (due to many other implications of open carrying), but I want to be sure of what I can and can't do.

2. If it is illegal for me to possess a firearm within a vehicle without a LTCF, what is the best way to transport my firearm to and from the range? I currently keep it in a padded hard plastic case with an adjustable shackle lock through the handle. You would need a sawzall in order to get inside, and then you'd have to get through the cable lock that I have going through the grip and out the chamber. Would this be considered a legal way to transport my firearm in the event that I get pulled over? Should I announce to the police officer that I have an unloaded firearm in the car, or only volunteer that information if asked directly? Should the case be stored away in the trunk or on the passenger seat? (i.e. would putting it in the trunk be considered 'concealment'?)

3. If I decide to get my LTCF, is there a form or anything that needs to be filled out in order to apply for RECIPROCITY in a state that acknowledges PA licenses? For example, if I travel to a qualified reciprocity state with my LTCF in hand and am stopped by law enforcement, will I be penalized for not filling out some form of paperwork beforehand?

4. Not related to carrying, but are modifications that lighten trigger pull considered legal?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I figured you guys are a knowledgeable group to ask. Thanks and happy shooting!

(Mercer County)

Default Re: New gun owner, long time gun enthusiast!

Quote Originally Posted by peterpiperwasaliar View Post
    My name is Mike and I recently picked up my Smith and Wesson SW9VE. Yeah yeah, low end but I love this thing, it shoots great, and ammunition is cheap as hell!

The reason I'm posting here is to inquire about some technicalities regarding PA law. As a transplant from Massachusetts, I don't want to end up getting myself into trouble as a result of ignorance of the law. My questions are as follows:

1. As a gun owning resident of PA lacking a LTCF, hunting license, etc., could I legally carry a non-concealed, holstered weapon on my belt? Not that I would (due to many other implications of open carrying), but I want to be sure of what I can and can't do.

2. If it is illegal for me to possess a firearm within a vehicle without a LTCF, what is the best way to transport my firearm to and from the range? I currently keep it in a padded hard plastic case with an adjustable shackle lock through the handle. You would need a sawzall in order to get inside, and then you'd have to get through the cable lock that I have going through the grip and out the chamber. Would this be considered a legal way to transport my firearm in the event that I get pulled over? Should I announce to the police officer that I have an unloaded firearm in the car, or only volunteer that information if asked directly? Should the case be stored away in the trunk or on the passenger seat? (i.e. would putting it in the trunk be considered 'concealment'?)

3. If I decide to get my LTCF, is there a form or anything that needs to be filled out in order to apply for RECIPROCITY in a state that acknowledges PA licenses? For example, if I travel to a qualified reciprocity state with my LTCF in hand and am stopped by law enforcement, will I be penalized for not filling out some form of paperwork beforehand?

4. Not related to carrying, but are modifications that lighten trigger pull considered legal?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I figured you guys are a knowledgeable group to ask. Thanks and happy shooting!
    1. You can openly carry a firearm on foot without a LTCF anywhere or anytime in PA except for a City of the First Class or during a declared State of Emergency. Philadelphia is the only City of the First Class in PA.

2/3. You are covered to and from the range, but it must be unloaded and in a case. Get the LTCF so that you don't have to worry about it. It's $20 well spent. Once you get the LTCF you'll automatically gain reciprocity with select other states. There is no reason not to get the LTCF.

4. No, it's not illegal to lighten the trigger on a carry weapon, but I strongly discourage it.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure somebody will be along to give a more in depth answer to your second question. I don't deal with unlicensed transportation of a firearm, and never really have, so I'm not up on the ins and outs of unlicensed transport.

EDIT: Nevermind, here's your detailed answer:

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; June 6th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

With #1 - you cannot transport a handgun in a vehicle without a LTCF(unless going to/from one of the exempted locations). You will have to walk everywhere.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

The previous responses covered your questions. I'll just say "Welcome!".
    MikeP

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    1. You can openly carry a firearm on foot without a LTCF anywhere or anytime in PA except for a City of the First Class or during a declared State of Emergency. Philadelphia is the only City of the First Class in PA.

2/3. You are covered to and from the range, but it must be unloaded and in a case. Get the LTCF so that you don't have to worry about it. It's $20 well spent. Once you get the LTCF you'll automatically gain reciprocity with select other states. There is no reason not to get the LTCF.

4. No, it's not illegal to lighten the trigger on a carry weapon, but I strongly discourage it.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure somebody will be along to give a more in depth answer to your second question. I don't deal with unlicensed transportation of a firearm, and never really have, so I'm not up on the ins and outs of unlicensed transport.

EDIT: Nevermind, here's your detailed answer:

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    First off, thank you all for the speedy replies and warm welcomes!

So there are no restrictions as to where I could open carry? Obvious exceptions being courthouses, airports, etc. etc., but what about establishments that serve alcohol, state parks, and other such places that I've heard rumor of restrictions? And as far as the declared State of Emergency, would having a LTCF allow me to carry in those situations? It seems as though that would be the time I would want to carry MOST.. people act crazy during times of chaos! Pertaining to the lighter trigger pull, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the SW9VE but it comes with a ridiculously heavy trigger, which certainly does affect my accuracy. My goal is to lighten it enough that, in the event of a self defense emergency, I will strike my target and not something downrange (while keeping the pull heavy enough that I have to WANT to shoot it in order to activate the trigger). Most of the modifications I've seen done to this model lighten the pull substantially, while still remaining much, much heavier than many other guns that are designed for concealed carry.

Despite the fact that I'm definitely going to get my LTCF in the coming month or so, I'm still curious about whether or not the location of the firearm in the car has any bearing on whether it is being concealed or not. Does 'hiding' it in the trunk classify me by law as a dangerous, murderous man with bad intentions??

Thanks again to all who replied!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by peterpiperwasaliar View Post
    First off, thank you all for the speedy replies and warm welcomes!

So there are no restrictions as to where I could open carry? Obvious exceptions being courthouses, airports, etc. etc., but what about establishments that serve alcohol, state parks, and other such places that I've heard rumor of restrictions? And as far as the declared State of Emergency, would having a LTCF allow me to carry in those situations? It seems as though that would be the time I would want to carry MOST.. people act crazy during times of chaos! Pertaining to the lighter trigger pull, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the SW9VE but it comes with a ridiculously heavy trigger, which certainly does affect my accuracy. My goal is to lighten it enough that, in the event of a self defense emergency, I will strike my target and not something downrange (while keeping the pull heavy enough that I have to WANT to shoot it in order to activate the trigger). Most of the modifications I've seen done to this model lighten the pull substantially, while still remaining much, much heavier than many other guns that are designed for concealed carry.

Despite the fact that I'm definitely going to get my LTCF in the coming month or so, I'm still curious about whether or not the location of the firearm in the car has any bearing on whether it is being concealed or not. Does 'hiding' it in the trunk classify me by law as a dangerous, murderous man with bad intentions??

Thanks again to all who replied!
    You can Open Carry into a airport, and as long as you don't try to enter a secure area(past metal detectors) you're fine. You can also carry into a courthouse, once again just not past the checkpoint. All court houses in PA are required by law to have lock boxes available. Just check your gun in. You're also allowed to carry into a bar in PA, and consume alcohol. This, however, is a personal judgement issue. Personally, I am able to consume a few beers and not turn into a raving lunatic. Yes, having a LTCF would allow you to carry during a declared state of emergency, as well as Philly. State Parks are a different animal, and are slightly more confusing. To play it safe, I personally would not OC in a State Park, though technically it would be legal to do so now. This, however is a recent development, and there is currently no case law regarding OC in a State Park as far as I know.

In regard to lightening the trigger, it is perfectly legal. However, if you were to use that gun in self defense, a lightened trigger could possibly be used against you in court. I would practice, practice, and practice some more to familiarize yourself with the trigger. It isn't any heavier than a lot of double action revolver triggers, and lots of people carry those. The more you shoot it, the better you'll get.

I would put the gun in a case, and then put the case in the trunk to be safe. Leave the ammo in the factory box.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; June 6th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

(Centre County)

Again, I can't thank you enough I'm certainly interested to learn more about the issues with state parks, as I'm an avid backpacker and can see the value of being armed while out in the woods (especially on solo expeditions). Whether it be dangerous wildlife or another, less responsible gun owner, situations present themselves where I would much rather be safe than sorry. Most of the hikes I have done cross back and forth between state game lands, state parks, and so forth, so it would be unreasonable to have to follow a map to know when I'm in violation of the law and when carrying is completely justified.

(Adams County)

in my way of thinking . getting the ltcf is a no brainer. spend the $20 get it then you are covered on your other questions.

if you already bought your gun in pa. there is no reason they can come up with to not issue you the ltcf.

(Centre County)

Definitely going to, just wanna be as knowledgeable as possible to keep myself out of trouble As a side note, how long is the LTCF valid for? Is it $20 annually or does it last for more than a year?

(Mercer County)

It's good for 5 years. My advice is to hang out on the forum and do a lot of reading. Many people sign up, ask a question, and never return. There is a good bit of knowledge on this forum, but it does help if you're around to take advantage of it

Sent from my cell phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast