Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vs. Used

(Philadelphia County)

Default New vs. Used

I've got a friend of a friend (ex-swat/enthusiast) selling a number of used semi automatic pistols. I've had a S&W 38 snub nose revolver forever and it's never miss fired. That being said, I'd like something with more round capacity and better accuracy/longer barrel.

Been looking at a number of different semi-auto models and calibers. Just wondering if the savings on used vs new semi-autos is worth the risk of the used weapon possibly not having been treated properly. It's not worth saving $100 to me if my weapon doesn't perform at the critical time.

What's your guy's experience with the performance of used semi-autos? Any manufacturers to avoid?
    Last edited by lap; May 29th, 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: notification options

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: New vs. Used

you should be able to look over a used firearm and see how it's been cared for.
    75% of my guns where previously used.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Cumberland County)

I buy both used and new. I'm never afraid to buy used - even on line. Sometimes, used is even better if it's one of those "picky guns" that needs longer break in ( like my used NYPD Kahr ). For me, if the used gun is substancially less expensive ( i.e. new $700, used $500 or less ) and appears to be in great condition, I go for it. Also, if it's just an older gun that I'm interested in, as long as it appears to be in great condition, I go for it. Warranty depends on the brand I would assume, but I believe as long as the gun has a lifetime or limited lifetime warranty, ownership change doesn't matter. I would not fear used if the price and condition is right ! Good luck!

If you want a nice deal, go to Robertson Trading Post and get a California Dept. of Corrections 6906 for $369 or better - I bought one as did several of my buddies - incredible gun and great condition
    Last edited by cruzans; May 29th, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added S&W

(York County)

Depending on where you go, some shops will give you a set amount of time to return the used firearm no questions asked. I know Gander Mountain gives 30 days (but their prices are already crazy high). Just depends on where you go

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Depending on where you go, some shops will give you a set amount of time to return the used firearm no questions asked. I know Gander Mountain gives 30 days (but their prices are already crazy high). Just depends on where you go
    I've not been to a Gander Mountain, but I've never heard of a gun shop that accepts returns.

(York County)

Idk about other gun shops, but i purchased a used handgun from Gander Mountain, its an outdoor supply store, and they made it very clear that i had 30 days to return it if i felt so compelled. They dont have the capabilities to actually fire their used guns so i assume thats why they will take them back. They also offer extended warranties of i believe 3 months for an extra $20 or $30. The extended warranties come with discounts on any gunsmith services, and i think discounts toward ammunition/fire arm supplies.

(Allegheny County)

most of my pistols are used. never had a problem worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by lap View Post
    It's not worth saving $100 to me if my weapon doesn't perform at the critical time.
    If you're buying a $1000 gun and the difference is $100 to get a new one, then I'd go new unless it is an unfired used gun in 100% condition with, maybe, a couple boxes of unfired ammo.

With this ^^^ said, my Colt GCT and my SA Loaded LS were used when I bought them, but both had less than 200 rounds and were out of the box, new looking. The difference was well more than $100 to new for each, so it was a no brainer. If the guns have a decently low round count (2 to 3000 rounds is relatively low on some semi's and the first belch on an AR), and you see a decent savings, then used is a good way to go. Most people will never shoot out a firearm. You say he is e-SWAT, so see if you can get something that didn't get a ton of zombie practice.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Oh yea, according to the news, it takes about 6 rounds to take a zombie out, so you do the math.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Idk about other gun shops, but i purchased a used handgun from Gander Mountain, its an outdoor supply store, and they made it very clear that i had 30 days to return it if i felt so compelled. They dont have the capabilities to actually fire their used guns so i assume thats why they will take them back. They also offer extended warranties of i believe 3 months for an extra $20 or $30. The extended warranties come with discounts on any gunsmith services, and i think discounts toward ammunition/fire arm supplies.
    That is great. I wish I was closer to one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast