Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: open carry, shotguns

call the sheriff's office

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
    Long guns are to be in cases in public.
    Really? I've seen guys walking out of more than one gun shop or gun show with long guns in no case, action/bolt open, slung over the shoulder.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Really? I've seen guys walking out of more than one gun shop or gun show with long guns in no case, action/bolt open, slung over the shoulder.
    Police can see extenuating circumstances if you just got it from a known and legal expo/show/shop.

I guarantee you have a LTCF and walk down the road in center city with a rifle or shotgun in a hand youre getting stopped

(Berks County)

call the sheriff's office
    Just because the Sheriff Office says it doesn't mean it's true. Unfortunately, these guys aren't always well-versed in the law.

In looking through the PA Uniform Firearms Act, I haven't found any mention of it being prohibited to carry a long gun in public without a case. The only thing I found that was related was:

PA UFA §6304
    (b) Carrying or discharging air rifles.—
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to carry any air rifle on the highways or public lands unless accompanied by an adult, except that a person under 18 years of age may carry such Rifle unloaded in a suitable case or securely wrapped.
    and this only pertains to minors.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=70426

8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    First off, I have something to say that I think everyone here should be able to understand.

The State of Pennsylvania does NOT post ALL THEIR LAWS on the internet. Those that ARE posted are mainly FAQ Q&A. The stupid aol site with PA Laws that people keep pointing people to is a PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED SITE. The Contact Info on the site says it is run by a Judge. What happens if the Judge isn't a judge anymore, or lets the site diminish. New laws are passed, ordnances made, and here you are looking like a moron claiming "But.. but.. the INTERNET TOLD ME I COULD".

The only way to get a legal interpretation is to contact a Lawyer to go through City and State firearms laws and interpret them for you. Just because you read a law one way on the internet doesn't mean thats how the law was written.

I think it is a very dumb thing to just assume and ask on the internet. I don't think any of us here have degrees in law, or are certified by the BAR association. If you are, that's great -- Enlighten us!

Otherwise it's a pretty simple decision.

1.) Buy a 10.00 carrying case
    2.) Pay an attorney to check into this

Either way, even if it was 100% legal, youre still going to get harassed by soccer-moms, liberals, and possibly one of the few bigshot LEOs. Every city has at least one bigshot LEO stirring things up. This comes down to the same question asked in Open Carry. Why would you WANT to cause a situation?

(Allegheny County)

how do you think what you posted makes it illegal to open carry a rifle or shotgun?

nowhere in what you have quoted does it say that.

what you have quoted is simply an exception to needing an LTCF to carry a concealed "firearm" (by the legal PA definition of "firearm" which doesn't even include non-NFA rifles and shotguns) or carry a "firearm" in your vehicle.

you omitted the text that introduces the list of exceptions that this exception is part of. therefore, you have totally taken the text out of context and implied that is says something it does not.

this is the text that introduces the section you quoted:

A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. Any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person except in his place of abode or fixed place of business without a valid and lawfully issued license commits a felony of the third degree.

A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.
    all of this applies to concealed carry...or carry in a car...not open carry of "firearms". also, if you bother to read the defintions section of the PA Uniform Firearms act, you find that the whole thing applies only to handguns and NFA rifles and shotguns (typical rifles and shotguns are too long to meet the PA defintion of "firearm").

below is a link to a PDF with the text of the ENTIRE PA Uniform Firearms Act. that is the law...period. doesn't matter what any sheriff, lawyer, or anyone else says.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...nnsylvania.pdf

if it doesn't say open carry of a rifle or shotgun is illegal in there (and it doesn't), it ain't illegal.

you need to stop spreading misinformation. you also need to stop accusing those of us who are actually posting correct information of doing what you are doing (spreading misinformation).
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 8th, 2006 at 05:50 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Either way, even if it was 100% legal, youre still going to get harassed by soccer-moms, liberals, and possibly one of the few bigshot LEOs. Every city has at least one bigshot LEO stirring things up. This comes down to the same question asked in Open Carry. Why would you WANT to cause a situation?
    because it IS 100% LEGAL and there are too many people like you running around trying to claim it is not.

all the soccer moms, liberals, and "bigshot LEOs" need to be put in their place.

a freedom not exercised is a freedom lost.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 8th, 2006 at 05:48 PM.

(Berks County)

Fair enough, I missed this.

First off, I have something to say that I think everyone here should be able to understand.

The State of Pennsylvania does NOT post ALL THEIR LAWS on the internet. Those that ARE posted are mainly FAQ Q&A. The stupid aol site with PA Laws that people keep pointing people to is a PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED SITE. The Contact Info on the site says it is run by a Judge. What happens if the Judge isn't a judge anymore, or lets the site diminish. New laws are passed, ordnances made, and here you are looking like a moron claiming "But.. but.. the INTERNET TOLD ME I COULD".
    FWIW, the quotes of the UFA I've been providing haven't come from an AOL site, they've come from the PA State Assembly's website. I'm pretty sure this is a good place to research PA law.

The only way to get a legal interpretation is to contact a Lawyer to go through City and State firearms laws and interpret them for you. Just because you read a law one way on the internet doesn't mean thats how the law was written.
    You're correct that this is THE BEST way to know for sure what's legal and what's not.

I think it is a very dumb thing to just assume and ask on the internet. I don't think any of us here have degrees in law, or are certified by the BAR association. If you are, that's great -- Enlighten us!
    I think everyone here knows that we're not lawyers and we're just providing our perspective an opinion. If you think it's stupid to ask such questions on the internet, then don't answer them, you did provide an opinion just like the rest of us.

Completely agree with you there.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    because it IS 100% LEGAL and there are too many people like you running around trying to claim it is not.

all the soccer moms, liberals, and "bigshot LEOs" need to be put in their place.

a freedom not exercised is a freedom lost.
    Go excercise it and I'll watch you on the news.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Fair enough, I missed this.
    just FYI CR, read my post above.

what he posted does not say what he thinks it says.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast