Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: We Banned The SERPA Holster......

I know of a trainer....an accomplished one, who has been training for a rather large and widely recognized organization, who shot himself through the leg while teaching a class using a SERPA holster. I was not at the class, but a close friend was. The round "rode" his femur, through the knee and out around the shin. The design of the SERPA makes the chances for an accident too high in my book. I certainly don't bash anyone for using it.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Ran a Defensive Pistol League a while back. Used to have 15-20 shooters show up weekly to run drills.

One of the things that I really debated with myself (as I was the one in charge) was whether or not to allow the Serpa holsters. At that time I allowed them but, I did hand out a paper to those using the holster (if I recall right, at that time it was 2-3 guys) discussing the issues with the holster.

My personal opinion on the holster - there are better options available. Specially for a duty belt holster.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Does this mean that when Pittsburgh police see someone with a Serpa they're going to tell them that it's unsafe?
    Not only tell you that you are unsafe....but it will justify the seizure of your gun for your own protection without even having to run it through the registry! Super big win!!!

(Chester County)

I used to carry in a SERPA and I do believe they are safe. When you press the release button and slide the gun out your finger indexes right on the frame of a glock, no where near the trigger. Bent finger, straight finger, didn't matter.

FWIW... I carry in a duty Safariland for the addition of a 2nd form of retention with the hood.
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I used to carry in a SERPA and I do believe they are safe. When you press the release button and slide the gun out your finger indexes right on the frame of a glock, no where near the trigger. Bent finger, straight finger, didn't matter.

FWIW... I carry in a duty Safariland for the addition of a 2nd form of retention with the hood.
    Here is the real issue right here. There is more to this holster thing that just the holster. There is the particular gun in the holster, as well as the way the hand of the person who is using it is built. And then there is mindset. Some people freak out at the slightest thing, and others have ice water in their veins. I wasn't going to get into this, but what the heck. Why not?

I have two guns for which I have Serpa holsters. On the one gun I cannot force my finger into the trigger guard while pressing the button on the holster, no matter how hard I try, and I tried. I have been involved in these discussions before. However, on the other gun, I found that if I pressed real hard on the button, it was easier for my finger to slip into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. So for me personally, I have a 50% rate of hitting the trigger when I press real hard. If I am drawing correctly, it doesn't happen at all. Zero.

I suspect that this may be the case for more people than just me. I do not know how many people own Serpa holsters for more than one gun. I don't know how many gun models will exhibit this problem with this holster or with what kind of hand. No one can know that. Some will. Some won't. People need to check it out for themselves.

The problem arises with these discussions when we have people who are not able to think about the variables or think beyond their own personal experience. They can only think in terms of their own personal experience. And for some people, they have a lot invested in being right, whether they are right or not. Even worse, there are people out there who don't think - who take what some authority figure has told them verbatim, without checking it out for themselves. Is the Serpa junk? Hardly. It might not work for some people, but for others, it seems to work very well.

It may not work for you, but that doesn't mean that it is unsafe for me. I don't care how many people shoot themselves in the leg. If I can't make myself pull the trigger on my one gun before I bring it to bear, then it isn't an issue for me. For the other gun, maybe I need to rethink how I carry it. It is possible I could shoot myself with it, although the chances are slim. What I do know for sure is I am not going to badmouth a product when there are enough other variables present that all my badmouthing will do is to make me look uninformed to those who have taken the time to check things out for themselves.

The final word is this. If you own and use a Serpa, unload your gun, and start practicing. Try pushing your finger down with all your might to release that button, and try drawing correctly. If you can't make your finger go into the trigger guard, then you are good to go. If you can, then you need to think about how much you like using this holster, and how well you think you can mitigate the potential problems. But don't go around spouting off about how terrible the thing is. It is plain to see you haven't thought it through for anyone but yourself, and maybe not even then.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Not only tell you that you are unsafe....but it will justify the seizure of your gun for your own protection without even having to run it through the registry! Super big win!!!
    not funny. try again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    not funny. try again.
    Lighten up Francis!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Here is the real issue right here. There is more to this holster thing that just the holster. There is the particular gun in the holster, as well as the way the hand of the person who is using it is built. And then there is mindset. Some people freak out at the slightest thing, and others have ice water in their veins. I wasn't going to get into this, but what the heck. Why not?

I have two guns for which I have Serpa holsters. On the one gun I cannot force my finger into the trigger guard while pressing the button on the holster, no matter how hard I try, and I tried. I have been involved in these discussions before. However, on the other gun, I found that if I pressed real hard on the button, it was easier for my finger to slip into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. So for me personally, I have a 50% rate of hitting the trigger when I press real hard. If I am drawing correctly, it doesn't happen at all. Zero.

I suspect that this may be the case for more people than just me. I do not know how many people own Serpa holsters for more than one gun. I don't know how many gun models will exhibit this problem with this holster or with what kind of hand. No one can know that. Some will. Some won't. People need to check it out for themselves.

The problem arises with these discussions when we have people who are not able to think about the variables or think beyond their own personal experience. They can only think in terms of their own personal experience. And for some people, they have a lot invested in being right, whether they are right or not. Even worse, there are people out there who don't think - who take what some authority figure has told them verbatim, without checking it out for themselves. Is the Serpa junk? Hardly. It might not work for some people, but for others, it seems to work very well.

It may not work for you, but that doesn't mean that it is unsafe for me. I don't care how many people shoot themselves in the leg. If I can't make myself pull the trigger on my one gun before I bring it to bear, then it isn't an issue for me. For the other gun, maybe I need to rethink how I carry it. It is possible I could shoot myself with it, although the chances are slim. What I do know for sure is I am not going to badmouth a product when there are enough other variables present that all my badmouthing will do is to make me look uninformed to those who have taken the time to check things out for themselves.

The final word is this. If you own and use a Serpa, unload your gun, and start practicing. Try pushing your finger down with all your might to release that button, and try drawing correctly. If you can't make your finger go into the trigger guard, then you are good to go. If you can, then you need to think about how much you like using this holster, and how well you think you can mitigate the potential problems. But don't go around spouting off about how terrible the thing is. It is plain to see you haven't thought it through for anyone but yourself, and maybe not even then.
    Pennsy I agree with what you have to say about these holsters ,not because I have one,but I have tried also to make my finger go where it should not,,,,and with the gun that I carry in the serpa it didn't end up on the trigger,but along the lower barrel as it should.I can't rep you right now,have to spread it around some first,but good post.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Pennsy I agree with what you have to say about these holsters ,not because I have one,but I have tried also to make my finger go where it should not,,,,and with the gun that I carry in the serpa it didn't end up on the trigger,but along the lower barrel as it should.I can't rep you right now,have to spread it around some first,but good post.
    Agree completely with Pennsy. Repped him from the both of us.

(Allegheny County)

best holster going

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast