Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default NYC resident and PA shotgun question

A friend of mine a new york city resident asked me about doing some turkey hunting this weekend and some crow hunting in a couple of months ,anyway he does not own his own shotgun, he asked if he could just go to wal-mart and buy a mossberg 500? well im not sure,so the question i have for you guys is can a guy from NYC with a NY DL and no prior criminal record (he can pass a pics check) go to a PA wal-mart or a local PA gun store and buy a hunting 12 gauge shotgun and leave it here in PA (at my house) for weekend hunting trips?

Default Re: NYC resident and PA shotgun question

He can certainly buy. Even NY's laws say so.

Not sure about the storage, but someone will be along shortly who is.

(Delaware County)

He can certainly purchase a long gun in PA. An FFL is required but it can be from either state. Firearms would need to be transferred in the buyers home state (NY)

As far as leaving it in PA at your house, IANAL, but I would say this is a nono.

That would constitute a "loan" at best or "transfer" at worst since he is not a PA resident it falls under federal law.

There are allowances for temp interstate loan for sporting purposes, but I dunno about long term storage and changes of custody. Now, if he secured the gun in a safe that only he had a key to and left that safe in your house, I think someone suggested that idea, but again... IANAL

Someone correct me if wrong.

(Chester County)

NY law says you can posess long guns bought in NY or any border state of NY. he can buy a shotgun in PA and keep it in NY.

(Monroe County)

Tell your friend to go up to the court house on Queens Blvd. and put in for his Rifle/Shotgun permit, the address 125-25 Queens Blvd, downstairs in the sub-basement of the court house is the NYPD firearms control section, do the application there, the black lady that runs the firearms office is very nice and very pro-GUn, it only takes a few weeks and cost $55 for three years.

This way your friend can keep his own Gun at his own house (loaded if he wants to ) without worrying about the cops.

Its a very short application , he will need 2 passport type photos and they do the finger printing same place in the basement.

People are so intimidated about firearms and NYC because they dont know their rights, they think NYC is this big anti-gun place, heck there is a big
    Gun store right across from city Hall in Down town Manhattan.

When i lived in NYC i owned 16 Rifles 3 shotguns and 5 Handguns.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Tell your friend to go up to the court house on Queens Blvd. and put in for his Rifle/Shotgun permit, the address 125-25 Queens Blvd, downstairs in the sub-basement of the court house is the NYPD firearms control section, do the application there, the black lady that runs the firearms office is very nice and very pro-GUn, it only takes a few weeks and cost $55 for three years.

This way your friend can keep his own Gun at his own house (loaded if he wants to ) without worrying about the cops.

Its a very short application , he will need 2 passport type photos and they do the finger printing same place in the basement.

People are so intimidated about firearms and NYC because they dont know their rights, they think NYC is this big anti-gun place, heck there is a big

A 3-year permit, costing $55, with photos and fingerprints, merely to possess a shotgun or rifle in one's home? I'd call that anti-gun. Yes, I realize there are worse big cities, but based on that description NYC ain't exactly what I'd call a bastion of freedom.

Ok, sorry, probably not the right thread for that discussion. I apologize and will move on.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Indiana County)

And how much did it cost you per year for the privilege to own such property in the gun-loving paradise known as New York City?

I know what it costs me for the right to own such property in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - bupkus, nothing, nada, nil, zilch, zero, etc., etc.

(Monroe County)

thanks for the info! jeff the guy who is looking to get the shotgun went to the local station house in manhattan where he lives and the PO was less than helpfull, he told jeff for a shotgun it would take weeks and would run around $200 by the time it was all said and done.

(Monroe County)

Rule # 1 never speak to the cops, they are there to discourage you.

Know your rights and go about your business. What the cop said is irrelevant, New york state and New York city said that you have a legal right to own and have in your possesion Rifles Shotguns and Handguns thats all your friend needs to know, dont have any discussions with the cops, they are there to discourage you and treat you like a serf.

NYPD has a whole division that handles firearms licences so you do have firearms rights, you just have to know your rights.

Does a shotgun/Rifle license worth $55 for three years? It does if a criminal , serial rapist or whatever is breaking in to your house at 3 in the Morning , i say yeah it damn well worth it.

(Indiana County)

Rule # 1 never speak to the cops, they are there to discourage you.

Know your rights and go about your business. What the cop said is irrelevant, New york state and New York city said that you have a legal right to own and have in your possesion Rifles Shotguns and Handguns thats all your friend needs to know, dont have any discussions with the cops, they are there to discourage you and treat you like a serf.

NYPD has a whole division that handles firearms licences so you do have firearms rights, you just have to know your rights.

Does a shotgun/Rifle license worth $55 for three years? It does if a criminal , serial rapist or whatever is breaking in to your house at 3 in the Morning , i say yeah it damn well worth it.
    You should not have to pay a tax to exercise your rights.
    Being forced to pay a penalty to defend yourself is not a right.

Poll taxes were made to keep poor blacks from voting. Seems the same might be true for the firearms tax in NYC.

That said, yes, it is worth the unconstitutional extortion fee to protect your self.
    And +1 for the helpful advice given.