Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default .243 Winchester: It's upper and lower limits?

After receiving some very valuable advice on another thread, I have become very interested in the use of the .243 Winchester round for my hunting needs. However, with interest comes questions and so I pose the following one:

What is the upper and lower limit of the round as a game cartridge? In other words, what is the biggest came that it is generally recommended for? And what is the smallest varmint for which it is recommended for if meat or hide preservation is a priority?

I'd appreciate it if the thread did not turn into a "shot placement" debate where people beginning speaking of how one can kill a deer even with a .22lr. While that is true, it is of little consequence for your average hunter.

As such, when providing an answer to my questions, assume that the hunter using the .243 Winchester is capable of shooting the animals in question where most "average" hunters do (e.g. in the case of whitetails, a broadside shot in the heart and lung area) and with "average" marksmanship skills.

Thanks in advance.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: .243 Winchester: It's upper and lower limits?

I'm sure someone with more furbearer knowledge that I will be along shortly, but I can speak to the upper limit of the round. I have personally seen many deer taken with a .243, and as long as a proper bullet is used and it is a solid hit to the vitals, you will tag your deer. The low recoil lends itself well to good shot placement.

A proper bullet will be something that penetrates, but expands relatively quickly. Think Remington Core-lokt 100gr, or Hornady's Interlock SP or SST bullets in 95-100 gr. You don't need a bonded bullet for thin-skinned game like deer as it will take too long to expand and waste most of its energy on a target behind your deer. People will argue this point, but everything I have read from professionals says that bonded bullets designed for increased penetration are at the very least a waste of money on deer, and at most actually perform worse than soft-points.

My girlfriend took her first deer last year with .243 reloads worked up with Hornady's 95gr SST bullet. The deer was quartering towards us and was hit high in the shoulder. The bullets jacket was found in one of the steaks in the hind quarter, so penetration is obviously not a problem.

Having said all that, I would not use a .243 for anything bigger than deer-sized game. That leaves out bear in PA, or elk if you have aspirations for that sort of thing. Overall, a good round you can't go wrong with. Good luck!
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Lancaster County)

On the low end it can take woodchucks and coyotes, on the high end deer, antelope, and MAYBE small black bear with good solid 100 grain bullets. VERY useful gun you will love using. Get to know your rifle and practice when you can and it will be quite an effective zapper.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    On the low end it can take woodchucks and coyotes, ....
    So then as far as "varminting" is concerned, would you say that there is some overlap, depending on the loads employed, between .22lr and .243? Or would you say that it picks up from where the .22lr leaves off? Or is there some gap between the two even when employing the lightest of .243 varmint loads?

Regardless, thank you to both of you who replied.
    Last edited by stud40111; May 25th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

You may find this "white paper" interesting (I did):

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_game.htm

Note it's not just about game, but also about range.

(Lawrence County)

You will have no problems taking a deer with a 243 winchester. My first deer rifle was a 243 winchester and I shot about 4 deer with it my first 3 years hunting until I up graded to a 30-06. My longest shot was about 150 yards on a doe standing broadside in a pasture, she maybe walked 10 yards before collapsing. The 243 in my opinion is an excellent PA deer caliber as long as shots are reasonably well placed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    So then as far as "varminting" is concerned, would you save that there is some overlap, depending on the loads employed, between .22lr and .243? Or would you say that it picks up from where the .22lr leaves off? Or is there some gap between the two even when employing the lightest of .243 varmint loads?

Regardless, thank you to both of you who replied.

There is no comparison between the 22lr and the 243 at all. If handloading the 243 you can go as low as a 55 grain bullet which is gonna put you in the ballpark of 4000 fps or you can go as high as a 105 grain bullet for deer size game. I have used and handloaded the 243 for years for both varmints and deer and it is probably my favorite cartridge.

(Somerset County)

If all I owned was a 243, and I wanted to go bear hunting, I would grab some ammo loaded with Nosler partitions or Barnes TSX bullets and go to the woods. The 250 Savage has similar performance, it's been killing bear, deer, and elk for a century or so.

I used to believe the 243 was too small for bear (and the 22 centerfire stuff for deer also) but bullet performance has improved considerably in recent years.

Pa law specifies .27 caliber as a legal minimum for elk. The 243 is great for varmints, pick your bullets carefully if you wish to avoid big holes in fur.

Dale

(Carbon County)

deer with no concerns, coyote are my 2 high and low....you could go lower but i perfer a 223 smaller then a coyote

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    If all I owned was a 243, and I wanted to go bear hunting, I would grab some ammo loaded with Nosler partitions or Barnes TSX bullets and go to the woods. The 250 Savage has similar performance, it's been killing bear, deer, and elk for a century or so.

I used to believe the 243 was too small for bear (and the 22 centerfire stuff for deer also) but bullet performance has improved considerably in recent years.

Pa law specifies .27 caliber as a legal minimum for elk. The 243 is great for varmints, pick your bullets carefully if you wish to avoid big holes in fur.

Dale
    I agree with the bear thoughts. Too small for elk.
    BTW I believe back in the 50s or 60s the state record black bear was taken with a .222 rem. Not that it would b emy choice.

Something that was common in the 70s but I don't see it being done today; Furbearer hunters used to use 90 gr FMJ bullets slightly loaded down for foxes. Very little pelt damage. I'd have to check if that was legal today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast