Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: .243 Winchester: It's upper and lower limits?

I'll keep this short;

Berger VLD Hunting bullets act as a boat anchor for deer sized game. They do come in the 6mm variant, usually in the 100 pack. You can pick them up at Cabelas. I came from using Barnes TSX, but once I saw what the Bergers do, I was sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco_joe View Post
    I agree with the bear thoughts. Too small for elk.
    BTW I believe back in the 50s or 60s the state record black bear was taken with a .222 rem. Not that it would b emy choice.

Something that was common in the 70s but I don't see it being done today; Furbearer hunters used to use 90 gr FMJ bullets slightly loaded down for foxes. Very little pelt damage. I'd have to check if that was legal today?
    It sure appears to be legal, or maybe I should state that it doesn't appear to be illegal as long as that 90 grain bullet is fired from a manually operated rifle or handgun.

Firearms For Hunting Furbearers: It is unlawful to take furbearers, including bobcats, with shotguns using shot larger than size number 4 buckshot, or implements that are not lawful firearms, bows or crossbows. Manually operated rifles or handguns of any caliber, manually or semi-automatic shotguns and, bows and crossbows can be used. Persons hunting for furbearers, including coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, opossums and weasels, may use gun-mounted lights that do not project a laser-light beam.
    Dogs: Dogs are permitted to hunt furbearers.
    HUNTING: RACCOONS & FOXES: Oct. 22-Feb. 18, 2012. Unlimited. COYOTES, OPOSSUMS, SKUNKS & WEASELS: No closed season, with certain exceptions during big game seasons. No limits. BOBCATS: (WMUs 2A, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4D & 4E): Jan.17-Feb. 7, 2012. One bobcat per license year. All licensed furtakers may obtain one bobcat permit.
    Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic (autoloading) rifles and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles and handguns.
    I would have thought that there would be a restriction to bullets designed to expand on impact but I don't see it anywhere except in the deer, bear and elk regulations.

Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated (pump, lever, bolt actions, single-shot) centerfire rifles, shotguns and handguns (revolvers or single-shots) with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is not legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.
    The elk regulations designate "bullet designed to expand on impact" as well.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Luzerne County)

All the Berger, Nosler, SSt,Serria bullets for a 243 sound fine. If you reload. For us with less the choice may be whats on the shelf at the local hardware store or in a Waldo mart. Is the 243 the best then? Or is the old 30-06 still king? I didn"t see 243's next to the bread at the Red Rock General Store but I did see 06... Oh well, mybe they will stock up better this hunting season..

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    All the Berger, Nosler, SSt,Serria bullets for a 243 sound fine. If you reload. For us with less the choice may be whats on the shelf at the local hardware store or in a Waldo mart. Is the 243 the best then? Or is the old 30-06 still king? I didn"t see 243's next to the bread at the Red Rock General Store but I did see 06... Oh well, mybe they will stock up better this hunting season..
    Don't wait until the last minute. Do some research to find out which manufacturers offer what loadings and get what you want before everyone else clears the shelves the week before hunting season, and don't limit yourself to Wal-Mart, shop around.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Beaver County)

I have reloaded and used "store bought"(Wallyworld).Any of the Federal,Remington,Winchester,in 100 grain work fine on deer in my experience.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lycoming County)

.243 can definitely drop a whitetail and since there isn't a whole lot of recoil there isn't a lot of flinching

However 6 years or so ago I watched the neighbor hit a large bodied 8 point in the shoulder with his .243 Winchester and the damn thing just kept walking like nothing happened, he went down shortly after though, he was just a damn brute I guess..

(Beaver County)

I've heart shot deer and had one run as far as 120 long paces(yards).None ever dropped in their tracks(not counting neck shots),but none ever got away,and all were one shot kills.As far as upper and lower limits whitetail deer (100 gr sp) as the upper and woodchucks(75 gr hp) as the lower.With all the new tougher bullets that are available ? (Model 788 Rem)
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    I have reloaded and used "store bought"(Wallyworld).Any of the Federal,Remington,Winchester,in 100 grain work fine on deer in my experience.
    ^^^Yup. Store bought 100gr Rem Core-lokts have killed lots of deer in my woods. I'm sure the Winchester and Federal perform very similarly. Deer aren't that hard to kill, you just have to do your job right, which is true of any reasonable deer round.

ETA: If Red Rock doesn't have 243, go a few more miles down the road to Benton and stop at the Benton Sports Center. You might even get to meet my dad while you're there.
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Lawrence County)

I've shot quite a few deer with the 87gr Hornady Spire points. They never go through, but only one deer took a step. The rest dropped like sacks of wet sand.

With the new bonded bullets and the solid copper offerings you can get much more penetration on larger game than our father's could. It's changed the game entirely. I have noted, however, that these types of bullets increase the odds that the animal doesn't drop immediately.

Explosive vital tissue disruption is what anchors animals in a heartbeat.

Lycannottwoleakholesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Somerset County)

All the Berger, Nosler, SSt,Serria bullets for a 243 sound fine. If you reload. For us with less the choice may be whats on the shelf at the local hardware store or in a Waldo mart.
    I specified the Barnes and Noslers etc. for BEAR. For deer, any standard factory 100 gr bullet will work fine.

A quick look at Midways website yielded 62 choices of factory ammo for the 243. I think there was 6 manufacturers who offered 243 ammo with a premium bullet like the Partition, GMX, TSX, and others.

Order some now, it won't spoil before bear season.

Dale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast