Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry

Default Open Carry

Hello Guys,

I occasionably post here, but often troll as I value your opinions. As my name suggests, I am from Oklahoma. Oklahoma recently passed an open carry law. The same requirements for open carry as for concealed. Still have to have the permit. (CCW class)

Not perfect, but still better than just concealed carry only.

Does Pennsylvania offer something similar? Also does Pennsylvania have a reciprocity for CCW with Oklahoma?

How do you guys feel about open carry?

Gunner

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Okiegunner View Post
    Hello Guys,

I occasionably post here, but often troll as I value your opinions. As my name suggests, I am from Oklahoma. Oklahoma recently passed an open carry law. The same requirements for open carry as for concealed. Still have to have the permit. (CCW class)

Does Pennsylvania offer something similar? Also does Pennsylvania have a reciprocity for CCW with Oklahoma?

Gunner
    We don't really care too much one way or the other here in Pa.

p.s. nice choice of words.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Okiegunner View Post
    Hello Guys,

Gunner
    I've never been to OK, can't say what to expect, but you should probably be prepared for something less than a warm welcome.

OC has never been illegal in PA as far as I know, and there are still plenty of "battlegrounds" here. I've been OCing for 3 1/2 years without a problem, but many others went before me and cleared a path, as it were.

Consider also lurking ( lurking, not trolling ) the forums at OpenCarry.org , esp the OK section, where you will find posts and experiences much closer to home.

Here's to your smooth transition to a more 2A friendly state. :toast:
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Edited for serious discussion.

Last edited by InfiniteMotors; May 24th, 2012 at 02:18 AM.

I don't even wear tank tops; don't want the attention, so I would prefer to stay concealed, regardless. If I don't pocket carry (which is rare) I prefer an IWB in the center/small of my back. If I go on a trip with it, I just chunk it under the seat 'till I get where I'm going. Doesn't hardly print and never gets in the way, except for when going on a long trip.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I support all modes of carry.

I generally OC by default but have no problem CCing where it would either be appropriate, or that it's important that I'm not asked to leave.

Since OC is new in your state, a lot of people are going to think its illegal still. If you OC, your biggest worry will probably be the police instead of a BG. And if you do feel like OCing I think its wise to get some retention training and carry in a retention holster.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

I OC and I CC and when traveling, I do the Center console carry method. Anyway, it's great Oklahoma went OC. If for nothing else, more carry options.

I read a few posts about OC in Oklahoma and most support it but won't do it. Trust me, in time, as with all new stuff, it'll catch on and the "I will never carry like that" guy will do it one day and won't ever CC again. LOL

I found news article that said OC was legal in New Jersey and a few other off the wall, die in the wool anti gun states as Open Carry legal. Wonder what for moron reporter wrote that story?

http://www.newson6OKLAHOMA CITY -

Governor Mary Fallin put her signature on the Oklahoma open carry bill Tuesday morning. Effective November 1, 2012, licensed citizens will be able to openly carry firearms.

Oklahoma is the 25th state with some type of open carry law. It joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a "licensed open carry" state.

To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors will not receive a handgun license.
    .com/story/18426145/governor-mary-fallin-signs

CL

(Lawrence County)

Seems like this thread would've been better in the OC section of the forum.

Anyway... OK has reciprocity.

There is no requirement to OC on foot, provided you're not in the city of Philadelphia. There is a requirement to have a license to carry firearms (LTCF) or a carry permit with reciprocity if you intend to carry a firearm and operate a vehicle. There is a requirement for a LTCF or permit if you plan on OCing in Philly. There is a requirement for a LTCF or permit if you plan on CCing.

OC may or may not bring unwanted attention. In the six months I've been OCing I've had mostly good encounters. The most negative encounter I've had so far is a girl whispering to her dad at my optometrist "Daddy, he's got a gun!" At that point her dad replied to her calmly "It's legal here, honey, don't worry about it."

More often than not people don't notice. Those that do generally don't care. It's a rare few who get openly upset, but you'll hear more about those because those negative encounters draw more attention and may have more consequences.

OC isn't common around PA, though it is practiced, and it seems like a lot of those that do are on this board. Generally we don't have many issues, and if we do, having a firm grasp of the laws surrounding carrying helps win any battles that take place.

-edit-

Hit post way too early... anyway. I like OC. It's as much for comfort as it is for practicality. There's a lot of arguments for and against it, some of it valid and even more unfounded or purely speculative. I think it boils down to personal choice and confidence. I like not having to change my wardrobe and readjusting how I dress to conceal, eliminating any chance of clothing snagging or wrapping around my gun, being able to retain my gun if I had to, and am confident about my knowledge of the laws. I don't think that I should have to hide a right that's protected under the US and state constitution, but that's going more into the political side of things, and that's a whole different thread.
    Last edited by ShaulWolf; May 24th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    Seems like this thread would've been better in the OC section of the forum.

Anyway... OK has reciprocity.

There is no requirement to OC on foot, provided you're not in the city of Philadelphia. There is a requirement to have a license to carry firearms (LTCF) or a carry permit with reciprocity if you intend to carry a firearm and operate a vehicle. There is a requirement for a LTCF or permit if you plan on OCing in Philly. There is a requirement for a LTCF or permit if you plan on CCing.

OC may or may not bring unwanted attention. In the six months I've been OCing I've had mostly good encounters. The most negative encounter I've had so far is a girl whispering to her dad at my optometrist "Daddy, he's got a gun!" At that point her dad replied to her calmly "It's legal here, honey, don't worry about it."

More often than not people don't notice. Those that do generally don't care. It's a rare few who get openly upset, but you'll hear more about those because those negative encounters draw more attention and may have more consequences.

OC isn't common around PA, though it is practiced, and it seems like a lot of those that do are on this board. Generally we don't have many issues, and if we do, having a firm grasp of the laws surrounding carrying helps win any battles that take place.

Do the ladies ever notice? That pic you posted a while back shows a real hotty OCing LOL.

I had a guy just about OMG on me last week. I had a customer come to pick up something or another here, and bought a buddy with him. His buddy immediatly noticed I was OCing and said something like " wow, you're packing!". I told him most people never even notice and was surprised that he noticed it so quickly.

Then there was the guy I invited to deer hunt and he came by for me to meet him and see if he was okay. He saw I was OC and thought I was doing it because of him, like I didn't trust him. I let him hunt, and one day he was bowhunting in shotgun season and had to wear orange. My asshole neighbor spotted him and walked to the fenceline and was saying goofy things. The hunter guy got freaked out and asked me if he could carry a pistol while hunting. I told him that MD law only allows for hunting/trapping and this county does not allow modern handguns for deer. I guess the permission slip could have been amended to "hunting coyotes", but not sure you can deer hunt with one weapon and have another to hunt a different animal at the same time in MD.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Do the ladies ever notice? That pic you posted a while back shows a real hotty OCing LOL.
    Most girls are too busy swooning at the mere presence of me to even notice that I'm OCing. Those that haven't fallen over are busy gasping at the badass that is me. And then my wife smacks them upside the head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast