Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should I get the LCR?

I have a Sig P232, and I like it a lot. I've had it for a year, it is my only handgun, and I want to upgrade in caliber to an LCR 357 mag.

Finances are tight, so I would be selling/trading at the shop nearby.

I wanted to solicit some opinions on my decision: is the Ruger LCR 357 as reliable and durable as my Sig P232? I read some online stuff about Ruger's Quality control, and some have claimed that LCR's have had problems with the firing pins locking up the cylinders. Could anyone speak to this, or any other concern one might have with the LCR 357?

I know the recoil of the 357's will really kick, I just wanted the option of the 357 loads, along with some extra durability with the stainless frame shooting 38's.

Just wanted some advice/thoughts on this decision, as it will be my primary carry and HD weapon that I will have to entrust my life to.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Should I get the LCR?

Search around the web for posts by a guy named DPris on one of the various gun forums (can't remember which). He ran his .38 LCR for over 5800 rounds, with 5100 or so being +p. At that point there was noticeable frame stretching and the crane loosened up, but the gun was still in-spec, safe and serviceable.

After about 100 rounds, most LCR's will loosen up noticeably.

If you're getting the .357 LCR, it should last much, much longer given its steel upper frame as opposed to the aluminum upper .38 LCR. I imagine you won't be using .357 for all of your practice, or shooting as much as DPris given the tight finances right now. The LCR will last you just fine.

Thanks for the input TGS.

I'm certainly not one to put thousands of rounds through firearms on a regular basis, as I am not that rich.

In addition to the durability question, I'm also wondering about the 'lemon factor' with these. This will be my only firearm at this time, so sending it in for 'repair' really isn't something I can afford to do practically since I don't have another firearm to carry with me in the mean time.

Has anyone had any 'defect' problems with the LCR 357's, or should I just be as confident as with my Sig?

(sorry, don't mean to make this about Sig vs Ruger vs any other brand, I'm just wondering about this particular model and it's dependability).

(Chester County)

I've probably only got about 200 rounds through my LCR, without any issues. It's great for pocket carry, but it's not a fun range gun.

I have the .38 LCR. I probably have 2 or 3 hundred rounds through it with no problems. I pocket carry it around my home when working outside.

Never shot the LCR in .357 but my bet is that it's a handful.

I also have the SP101 in .38/.357/3inch barrel and I think it's a handful with .357's. If I had to give one up it would be the LCR.

If you wanna be certain you should probably shoot the LCR, and then shoot the SP101, and maybe even a Smith and see what you like best.

(Philadelphia County)

I had the LCR in .38 special. It wasn't a range gun, but it was very easy to carry iwb or in a cargo pocket. I never had any jams with the firearm and it was VERY easy to clean. I sold mine because I rarely carried it. I either carried my Glock 19 or Ruger LCP. I also wasn't too crazy about the rear sights on it. I replaced the original front sight with a hi-viz green fiber optic sight, and it made a major difference. Personally if I was going to buy a new revolver then I would get the Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and chambered in .357 magnum; however I would use it as a range and camping gun, but not so much for concealed carry. I prefer the adjustable rear sights on the GP100 over the LCR and SP101, but that's just a personal preference.

(Philadelphia County)

I also forgot to add when I did have the LCR, I also carried it in a desantis apache ankle holster. After 5 minutes, you'll forget it is even there. It was good to carry it that way whenever I had to drive through a bad area. It's easier for me to draw from my ankle than from my belt when I am sitting in my truck.

Good point about the sights.

If you're only looking at the LCR as a belly gun, then read no further...

The accuracy potential of snub-nose revolvers is greatly snubbed out (pun intended) due to their crappy sights. If you can afford it, consider getting an LCR with the XS sight. It will greatly improve your potential for hits at speed on the vital areas beyond 3 yards (think 8" circle in the upper chest). The fact that the XS sight is a standard option on the LCR is awesome. If good sights on revolvers weren't important to making good hits beyond 3 yards, people like this wouldn't be in business: http://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I have an LCR.38. My firing pin return spring broke, allowing the firing pin to rest against a spent case. Light pressure on the trigger allowed it to return to the rear.

On mine, I could shoot as normal, but had to use the trigger to allow the firing pin to retract for a reload. Ruger fixed it up in about. 12 days, from my door to my door. It gets a good amount of pocket time.

My kids will get mine when I'm feeding the roses.

I'd love to have the LCR in 357. I currently own the .38 LCR, just love it. No too many rounds through it but I can say it is a pleasure to shoot. I like Ruger because they stand behind their products. Rest assured, you can shoot yours to hell and they will stand behind it for a lifetime.

I own one of the Talo series, just look at the engraving on this piece

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast