Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question 1st Pistol - Selection Overload!

Have my CC permit, and recently took the NRA Basic course at Clayton's (great class BTW). In the class only really used a G19 and MkIII, and I have fired my father's 1911 a few times.

Pistol use will be mostly pleasure for range work and home defense. Once I get time firing, I'd like to try IDPA/IPSEC type shooting. Also, my 15 y.o. son took the NRA class with me and he also wants to shoot, possible competitively. I'm a lefty, son is a righty.

I had originally had my heart set on an FN FiveSeveN, but the more I learn, research and window shop, the more I think it's too early to go in with the FN and it may not really be a good fit for what I would use it for.

Now, the more I look the more options I find, the more options I find the more I can't decide what to buy - my brain is starting to hurt! I am not afraid to spend money if I am getting my monies worth, but I am also leery to cheap out and then hate what I bought. I am pretty sure I want to stay 9mm, but am not sure of any particular style (1911, striker, composite, all metal, etc.)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

At this point I am at a list of:
    • FN FiveSeveN $$$$
    • Dan Wesson 1911 9mm (Guardian) $$$$ - I looked at one today, what a sweet hunk of steel this thing is!
    • Sig P229 $$$$
    • Walther PPQ or P99as $$$
    • M&P 9 (Range Kit) $$$
    • Glock 19 $$

At this point I may just grab a MkIII and see what happens?
    John

(Indiana County)

Default Re: 1st Pistol - Selection Overload!

Out of those listed I've owned 3 and still own 2 of them. I currently still own the FN Five-Seven and the Glock 19. I did own the M&P but it wasn't right for me. The FN Five-Seven is very accurate, reliable, and unique... but ammo is expensive and not as easy to find also it isn't the easiest to conceal. I do carry mine from time to time but it is not to easy to conceal. The Glock 19 is my all time favorite handgun I've owned and I've owned everything from Custom Shop Kimbers to FN's. The Glock 19 is extremely reliable, upgrade-able, and accurate. It serves well as a CCW and home defense. For home defense set up I have a Streamlight TLR-3 mounted on it and a Glock 17, 17 round mag in it. For concealed carry I remove the light and replace the 17 round with an original 15 round flush fit magazine. Out of those firearms that you listed though you listed multiple calibers, I suggest you first find a caliber you are comfortable with and then find a platform in that caliber. The glock 19 is excellent but if you want a 45 I suggest the glock 30 which is a comparable size but in .45. Also you may want to look at the other FN's they are also very well made. In addition to choosing a caliber first you may also want to choose a size that is comfortable and easy to conceal but as important as that also something you can shoot well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbum87 View Post
    Out of those listed I've owned 3 and still own 2 of them. I currently still own the FN Five-Seven and the Glock 19. I did own the M&P but it wasn't right for me. The FN Five-Seven is very accurate, reliable, and unique... but ammo is expensive and not as easy to find also it isn't the easiest to conceal. I do carry mine from time to time but it is not to easy to conceal. The Glock 19 is my all time favorite handgun I've owned and I've owned everything from Custom Shop Kimbers to FN's. The Glock 19 is extremely reliable, upgrade-able, and accurate. It serves well as a CCW and home defense. For home defense set up I have a Streamlight TLR-3 mounted on it and a Glock 17, 17 round mag in it. For concealed carry I remove the light and replace the 17 round with an original 15 round flush fit magazine. Out of those firearms that you listed though you listed multiple calibers, I suggest you first find a caliber you are comfortable with and then find a platform in that caliber. The glock 19 is excellent but if you want a 45 I suggest the glock 30 which is a comparable size but in .45. Also you may want to look at the other FN's they are also very well made. In addition to choosing a caliber first you may also want to choose a size that is comfortable and easy to conceal but as important as that also something you can shoot well.
    Good info! All the ones listed are in 9mm flavor except the FiveSeveN. 9mm seems to be the best all-around cal being easy to find, relatively cheap, and plenty of selection of rounds.

The G19 certainly seems to be the leader as far as being a jack-of-all, but not really a master of any, kind of gun. The biggest thing I have against the Glock (or any) is that it is SO common, Kind of like the Ford F100 to pickup trucks. But, if you can't beat'em, join'em may hold true here for the G19.
    John

(Lancaster County)

If you are left handed, and your son is right, I suggest you get something with ambidextrous controls.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you are left handed, and your son is right, I suggest you get something with ambidextrous controls.
    Yea, that is another whole issue for me. I am left-eye dominant, BUT, my left trigger finger suffered a stupid teenager mistake and got in the way of an axe so part of the end of my finger is still in the Pinebarrens of N.J. someplace.

After a mag or 2, my left trigger finger really gets painful, so I often fire right-hand/left-eye (weird I know, but it got me thru Basic Training). I switch hands often when firing which I know is bad, I really need to stick to one shooting mode once I have my own pistol.
    John

(Northampton County)

If I could only choose one from your list and it had to serve as a "jack of all trades" gun, it would be the 229 in 9mm and SA/DA configuration. If you're a polymer fan, I would go with the PPQ in 9mm. They're both excellent guns in my experience.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    If I could only choose one from your list and it had to serve as a "jack of all trades" gun, it would be the 229 in 9mm and SA/DA configuration. If you're a polymer fan, I would go with the PPQ in 9mm. They're both excellent guns in my experience.
    The Sig is nice, but from reading reviews it seems like the Sigs take a hit on initial accuracy due to the SA/DA config??

I looked at the PPQ today as well, fit my hand really well, very light, good price. Definitely a front runner on my list.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JHKolb View Post
    The G19 certainly seems to be the leader as far as being a jack-of-all, but not really a master of any, kind of gun. The biggest thing I have against the Glock (or any) is that it is SO common,
    IMHO, the G19 is an excellent choice for a first pistol. It's not very expensive, which means you'll have extra money for ammo. The fact that everyone and his brother (and sister!) owns one means there are plenty of options for accessories, holsters, etc. Don't underestimate the value of having a ready supply of OEM and aftermarket replacement parts if something breaks, or you want to change a part, or whatever. And, any gunsmith worth the name knows how to work on a Glock.

That said, your best bet is to find people who own the guns you're interested in (or ranges that will rent them to you) and try them out. Guns are like shoes that way -- you have to try them on to make sure they fit. And, just because it fits doesn't mean you'll like it.

There are plenty of fine guns out there by plenty of reputable manufacturers. All the manufacturers you mentioned have a good track record, though I'm led to believe that Sig's quality has gone down of late. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those pistols. I would, however, avoid the FN57 as a first gun, if only because it's not a very common pistol to own and (as another poster said) ammo is expensive. I'd stick with something more mainstream in the beginning, then branch out as your skills, knowledge, and experience grow.

(Centre County)

Personally, I'd get the Mark III (as a great plinker (and something for your son to shoot)) AND get a used G19. The G19 is the jack of all trades Glock. It can be concealed easily and is heavily supported by the aftermarket. Your can run G17 mags for added capacity and get a grip spacer for added grip length. They are common, but that can be a plus as parts are relatively cheap and if SHTF, you can get another Glock relatively easily.....

.....my next gun 9mm will be a PPQ, which is supposed to be incredible, but I have no input, as I haven't even shot one yet.

Good luck, all the guns you listed are quality choices and will serve you well....

Also, if I had only one handgun in my closet, it would NOT be a FiveSeven!
    Last edited by FLICK; May 23rd, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JHKolb View Post
    I looked at the PPQ today as well, fit my hand really well, very light, good price. Definitely a front runner on my list.
    Have you held the M&P9 yet? Mine feels awesome in my hand.... People bitch about the trigger, but there are a lot of APEX parts to help you out and Burwell gunsmithing will smooth it to your liking...
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast