Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: New Member and Moving to Pittsburgh

Jeesh, I wouldn't want to ride the bus every day. Consider commuting by bike. You can get from South Side to Oakland entirely off-road, on the Hot Metal Bridge and Jail Trail. Pittsburgh has a pretty active cycling communitty and is adding more trails, bike lanes, and bike racks on buses. Check out bike-pgh.org/

Brentwood would be a bitch of a commute by bus - you'd have to transfer. You could also check out some other East End neighborhoods like Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Friendship and Greenfield.

(Allegheny County)

The rivers are a major bottle neck. The north side to the South side might as well be 100 miles apart. They are different worlds since getting from one to the other is such a PITA. I'm a Northsider so I know nothing about the South side, not to be confused with the Southside.
    Take a look at the Pgh Port authority site because thay are in trouble and are cutting routes, also, navigating Pittsburgh via public transportation is like navigating on the back of a starfish. If it's not on your leg, you are going all the way in and then back out another leg.

(Allegheny County)

haha alright, thanks for the heads up! You are all a wealth of knowledge and i feel like i already am heads above where i was! I will check into all that. The biking idea was good too..

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    The rivers are a major bottle neck. The north side to the South side might as well be 100 miles apart. They are different worlds since getting from one to the other is such a PITA. I'm a Northsider so I know nothing about the South side, not to be confused with the Southside.
    Take a look at the Pgh Port authority site because thay are in trouble and are cutting routes, also, navigating Pittsburgh via public transportation is like navigating on the back of a starfish. If it's not on your leg, you are going all the way in and then back out another leg.
    PaleDriver, North Shore to South Side is less than 1.5 miles. The Allegheny and Mon are rivers, not moats!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    PaleDriver, North Shore to South Side is less than 1.5 miles. The Allegheny and Mon are rivers, not moats!
    I don't mean the "Southside", I mean the "South Hills"

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    I don't mean the "Southside", I mean the "South Hills"
    Oh, crossing two bridges AND a tunnel... that makes it different!

We've never thought twice about going anywhere around the city. I've lived South Hills, East End, and now up north. But while we lived in Brookline for 10 years, my in-laws in Oakmont never visited our house once. Two bridges and a tunnel... to them, we might have well lived on Mars.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Oh, crossing two bridges AND a tunnel... that makes it different!

We've never thought twice about going anywhere around the city. I've lived South Hills, East End, and now up north. But while we lived in Brookline for 10 years, my in-laws in Oakmont never visited our house once. Two bridges and a tunnel... to them, we might have well lived on Mars.
    Ha!! But they would only have had to cross one bridge and no tunnels to get to Mars......

During my time at Pitt I lived in Oakland, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. Of the three Squirrel Hill was the cheapest, cleanest, safest, and easiest place to find parking. I lived on Barnesdale St but anywhere in that area around a bus stop would be a good place to look. I just graduated in 2010 so it shouldn't have changed too much.

Oops didn't realize this was from May and you probably already moved. Sorry about that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12