Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default FFL to FFL question; non-PA resident

I currently own 2 handguns and will be moving to NYC from Colorado. I'll be driving cross country, and would prefer to keep my firearms for the trip. Once I am in NY I will begin the permit process (premesis). Long and painfull, I know...

The issue is New York only allows handguns to enter the state through a FFL. Would an FFL I stop at enroute in PA ship my guns to an FFL in NY? This wouldn't be a transfer, per se, as I already own them and am shipping them to "myself." However I am concerned that not being a PA resident would rpresent an isse in terms of booking the shipment.

Would this be allowable? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated--

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: FFL to FFL question; non-PA resident

There isn't any law prohibiting what you propose.

Good luck getting your permits though for NYC. You need a permit just to keep a long gun in your home. And of course, handguns must be permitted prior to possession too.

You will need to hurry up and get your residency established in the time period that the police are deciding on your permit so you can receive them from the NY FFL when the permit is approved.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

I dealt with this with a military officer (a Major) that was reassigned to the 10th Mountain, which is absolutely nowhere near NYC. It was for one handgun, his personal M9 (Beretta 92). He had to get settled in his home at his new duty station, find a local gun shop that would handle the transfer and then had to jump through all the NY state hoops to get the handgun legally transferred. This took 6-7 months IIRC. And this wasn't NYC. DO NOT take/have shipped any handgun with you into NY/NYC until you have all the permission slips from the state AND the city.

You may be able to find a gun dealer in PA that would hold your guns until you said to ship them to the dealer that will handle the transfers. I know of one in the State College area (not that far from I-80 in central PA) that would do it for no charge other than the charge for shipping it to you when everything is ready. That person is me. I'm an FFL and have held guns for others that couldn't take them with them until they got the correct paperwork done. Right now I have an AR I'm holding for a guy that moved to CA. Once he gets settled, he will rersearch all the CA laws and see if he can have it shipped to him. If not, I'll probably sell it for him.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I'll preface this by saying I know very little about NY firearms law - but I do know that all the permitting has to be done before you take possession and in NYC that is an ardorous task. I have read that the permitting process is $400+ per gun - hopefully that is a one time fee. NYC makes NJ look like the land of liberty. If I were you, I'd simply store your guns with a friend or relative, providing that can be done legally in CO or their state of residence. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member