Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default reloading .45 acp large primer preferred over small primer?

Hello....it would appear that most people who reload .45 acp want large primer brass, I am curious...is there a benefit of the large primer over the small or is it just personal preference?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: reloading .45 acp large primer preferred over small primer?

looks personal. i like using small primer 45's as i can just buy small primers to fit all my pistol. why do i need large ones that only fit my 45? i dont and they all go bang anyway.

(Clarion County)

The preference most people have is that all the primer pockets they're loading for at the time be the same size. Frustrating when loading to try and jam a LP into a small primer pocket, especially for those who use auto presses. LP was the standard in the .45 for decades. For shooters todays small primed .45's were designed as a less toxic load for indoor ranges. Some target shooters claim to like them better. 95% of the .45apc brass I scrounge at outdoor ranges, in the boonies, are still LP.
    Last edited by cephas; May 22nd, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Cumberland County)

I wonder how much of the change was driven by the run on components after the 2008 election. Just about everything was impossible to get.

Think of the almost non-existent box of 380ACP - Ammo mfgrs. run 380ACP on the same equipment that makes 9mm. 9mm was flying off the shelf, so they never made the tooling switch to run 380ACP.

I have a feeling that the same principle applied to LP primers - they never made the tooling switch. Folks still wanted 45ACP, but LP primers were getting harder to come by, so ammo mfgrs. started making 45ACP with SP primers.

It's just a hunch, but it does seem to make sense to me. I could also be 100% wrong.

Personally, I haven't noticed that much of a performance difference. I load on a progressive, but I resize/decap on the single stage, so I sort them into different boxes at that time.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown