Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Me = Dumb, My M&P Shield got wet

I am going to make a short story shorter. My S&W M&P Shield got wet. Submerged wet. Not going into the how or why.

I am pretty new to the shooting scene in general but I just want to make sure that the next time I pull the trigger my gun goes "boom" the way it is supposed to. Sorry if I am ignorant but I want to be safe because I have not come across this before.

First thing I did was field strip it and dried everything off the best I could. I opened the magazine and completely dried it out. I will dispose of all ammo that was in the magazine. I then completely cleaned the gun with CLP and dried everything off again. I then put a drop of oil in the trigger and greased all other points as per the manual.

Is there anything I missed or am I GTG? Pretty new to firearms in general but I just want to make sure that the next time I pull the trigger my gun goes "boom" the way it is supposed to.

Thanks.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Me = Dumb, My M&P Shield got wet

You're good. Water happens, you handled it, it's dry and lubed. It's gonna go bang when you pull, and not gonna kaboom.

(Schuylkill County)

I would field strip it and blow it out with compressed air then clean and lube it.

(Chester County)

I would fully strip the slide, dry off and lubricate those internal parts before reassembly. You may be able to find a video on youtube. I'm not sure how much the internals are like the regular compacts, but if you can't find any Shield specific vids, maybe looking at a 9c compact takedown (check for ApexTactical vids on replacing sears, or installing FFS) will point you in the right direction.

It was a toilet, wasn't it?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I would fully strip the slide, dry off and lubricate those internal parts before reassembly. You may be able to find a video on youtube. I'm not sure how much the internals are like the regular compacts, but if you can't find any Shield specific vids, maybe looking at a 9c compact takedown (check for ApexTactical vids on replacing sears, or installing FFS) will point you in the right direction.

I did fully strip the slide and dried everything down and cleaned and oiled per manual.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post

Shit (literally)! You got me!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I would field strip it and blow it out with compressed air then clean and lube it.
    Thanks, Just blew it out with compressed air and re-lubed it just to be sure.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Thanks, Just blew it out with compressed air and re-lubed it just to be sure.
    No problem. I'm sure it will be fine.

(Indiana County)

Let's hope our military never, ever uses any weapon similar to an M&P Shield. All military acitivities would come to an end if someone's weapon got wet.

Get over it! You field strip it, blow it out with some air (puffed cheeks if necessary), lube & oil it, and you're good to go. Dispose of the ammunition? Must be some pretty pansy ammunition that can't stand a little water.

(Allegheny County)

the ammo shouldnt be ruined but if you are concerned save it as range ammo.

remember the wd in wd-40 stands for water displacement. blow it out with canned air and then spritz it with wd-40. follow that up with standard lubrication.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast