Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marcus Hook

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Marcus Hook

Agreed. I'd be fighting mad if I was assaulted in my home, in front of my kids and family. They did that because they could and will continue because they were allowed.
    Who gets to decide what proper training and qualifications need to be met for a mere civilian to carry? How high wll that bar be set? Eventually you would see few people with LTCFs due to increasingly more difficult requirements.

(Delaware County)

Marcus hook police think they can make there own laws !!!!

(Centre County)

Not going to do anything but try to get you to think about some things you may not have considered. Just going to ask for some clarification if I may be permitted (in blue).

Quote Originally Posted by Retaks View Post
    I had a small incident at my home in Marcus Hook with 2 of the officers. Im not gonna get into detals but i had my XDM concealed and was talkin with officers INSIDE my house and went to reach for something for one of the kids and they barely saw it. I ended up slammed into the wall making a hole and they were screaming at me that i am required by law to inform them anytime i had a gun on me. What happened after you were subdued? Searched, weapon removed, "serial number" run to see if it was stolen.....I suspect that all if not most of these things were done. Maybe other things as well. I was 99% sure that was not true and tryed to explain myself but they just kept telling me i was wrong. So i made a few phone calls. #1 was my cousin who is a Tinicum Township Officer of 8 years, #2 was my uncle who is a retired Detective from Brookhaven that was an officer for 23 years and a detective for 11, #3 was a very good friend who is Deputy Sheriff for 3 years, and #4 was the Sheriffs office. All 4 of them confirmed to me there is no law requiring me to inform them AND THIS IS WHERE the sentence should have ended.
    at BUT it is known as a common courtesy.

So after i had all that info i emailed the Cheif of Marcus Hook police explaining my situation and asked if he knew of a law or could find one and if not if he could please have his officers better informed about the laws of carrying firearms. It took him a few days to get back to me due to him being out on vacation but he did. He came by my house to speak with me but i was out so he returned an email to me.

I ended up going to his office and had a long talk with him. I was expecting a long thing about how im wrong and his officers are right and blah blah blah. Well i was wrong. We had a great talk and are in agreement about alot of things with people carrying firearms. He also agreed with my that there is no law requiring soeone to inform an officer and said that the 2 officers were wrong in what they did Well this is a start at least . I let him know I just want them informed on the actual law and not what they want the law to be. Did you ask and/or did they offer to repair the damage done to your home?

Just so everyone on here knows the Marcus Hook Police Dept is Pro citizens carrying firearms. They are not Pro open carry BUT do not start a bunch of crap as long as your legal Are you sure about this? You were legal in not informing them that you were CC, You were following the law and yet they abused you for something you and they say that they are OK with - Pro Citizens Carry.

The Chief is a great guy and him and myself both agree that there should be some kind of requirements to be allowed to carry a firearm instead of just buy a firearm and just start open carrying it or carry it with your LTCF. Right now just anyone who may only know what they were shown in a gun shop can carry a firearm. Where we both feel that you should have to show that you can safely use a firearm before being allowed to carry one in public for defense. Did you and the Chief agree that said training should be mandated by law?

(Delaware County)

Please post this in the oc/cc section .

Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Northampton County)

Thank you for posting about this encounter. I am glad to hear the police chief got back to you instead of ignoring you. However, I suspect that he did so to prevent his department from getting sued over several issues. I also appreciate that you were trying to educate the department. Thank you for making sure that was part of the process.

Now, if it were me:

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Is the chief going to come to your house with some dry wall\plaster to repair the hole?
    This is what I was thinking, too.

If someone comes into my house, uses unjustified force against me, and in the process damages my wall, there is absolutely no way I am paying for it. They broke your house, used force against you, and damaged your wall. They can pay for the repairs by a professional, any medical expenses, etc. If you don't want to, that is your choice, but I would personally pursue further action against the department.

they were just trying to help you,thats why they became cops.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by No_Ones_Fool View Post
    they were just trying to help you,thats why they became cops.
    To be fair, some people do become cops to help people. And some of those cops maintain that perspective throughout their career. Unfortunately, not every cop does. Like with any group, there are always the "bad apples".

From what the OP described, the involved officers seem to fit into the "bad apples" category much easier than the "I am honestly here to help you" category.

(Allegheny County)

A gun owner who doesn't believe in the right to keep and bear arms (testing? Really?) and who is "OK" with being roughed up in his own home and this is as far as this thread has gotten?

Wow.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12