Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Greene County)

Default Beretta Px4 Storm

I'm wandering, why isnt there much hype behind this handgun? I bought the .40 caliber compact version yesterday, took it to the range and put 300 rounds through it, and I gotta say this is one sweet firearm! Very little recoil for a compact .40, which I think the rotating barrell has alot to do with. It did shoot slightly low and to the left, which I've read alot of ppl have had the same issue, but I planned on buying the XS big dot sights for it anyways so we'll see if that improves the accuracy (which I'm betting it will, I've read that the rear sight is a tad off coming from the factory). The groups were nice, 3" at 20 yds, shooting rounds on top of each other. I own a CZ 75b, Springfield XDM .45, Springfield XD .40 compact, Ruger P95, now the Px4 and outside of the CZ (that pistol is irreplaceable) I think the Px4 is my go-to gun, definatly looking like it'll be my conceal carry weapon of choice for now. Any other Px4 owners out there? What do you guys think? In your opinion, is it on par with the XDM/Glock/$500-$600 price range handguns?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Beretta Px4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by rahliE View Post
    I'm wandering, why isnt there much hype behind this handgun? I bought the .40 caliber compact version yesterday, took it to the range and put 300 rounds through it, and I gotta say this is one sweet firearm! Very little recoil for a compact .40, which I think the rotating barrell has alot to do with. It did shoot slightly low and to the left, which I've read alot of ppl have had the same issue, but I planned on buying the XS big dot sights for it anyways so we'll see if that improves the accuracy (which I'm betting it will, I've read that the rear sight is a tad off coming from the factory). The groups were nice, 3" at 20 yds, shooting rounds on top of each other. I own a CZ 75b, Springfield XDM .45, Springfield XD .40 compact, Ruger P95, now the Px4 and outside of the CZ (that pistol is irreplaceable) I think the Px4 is my go-to gun, definatly looking like it'll be my conceal carry weapon of choice for now. Any other Px4 owners out there? What do you guys think? In your opinion, is it on par with the XDM/Glock/$500-$600 price range handguns?
    The Beretta PX Storm is a fine firearm. Why is there not more hype? It is called marketing. The Beretta name is not mentioned in the same breath with Glock, Smith, Springfield, H&K, and even the CZ. Beretta is quite comfortable with their government contracts throughout the world, and they don't hawk their product to the civilian market like the aforementioned. Kind of like what Colt was 40 years ago. I can tell you that the my local police departments that are issued them, consider the PX dependable, durable, and accurate. For those who like the looks and lines of a handgun, beretta follows the tradition of Italian styling. Compared to the block guns, it is like comparing the style of mini-vans and ferraris. It doesn't matter, the block guns are marketed to the pitch of a penecostal tent meeting and in fact are the subject of more gun club conversations.

If you do a search there is plenty of talk about this gun on this forum. I have and there is lot of Pro and Cons about this gun. I own a PX4 in 45acp I really like the gun, you know how good it feels in hand and how well its built. Your PX4 compact is suppose to shoot as well as a full size gun and still offer concealibilty. There is a lot of talk about replacing the sights on the compact and full size guns, so your evaluation seems correct.

It is a Beretta and that is enough said. Its one of my favorite guns in 45acp light but doesn't recoil much because as you said the rotary barrel and ergonomic. It is accurate and reliable BUT I will say its not as reliable as its cousin the 92/96 series. I own them too and they are very reliable.

I've heard that the Rorary barrel requires cleaning at around 400-500 rounds, whereas the 92/96 series round count before failure is well past 3k rounds or more. I've never had a problem with my PX4 because my outings are less then 300 rounds a setting (45 is expensive). In this time I've never had a failure that was the guns fault.

You are right it is an outstanding gun, but what would we expect from Beretta.
    Last edited by Neko456; May 18th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

I own the PX4 storm in 9 mm.
    I bought it for low recoil, magazine capacity, ammo cost and it has not disappointed. I put a laser on it and use it mostly as a home defense weapon. It seem too big for concealed carry though but I have the full size, not the compact.

I thought accuracy might be a problem at first but with practice it shoots pretty straight.

(Monroe County)

Another Px4 Storm owner here. Mine is a 40 cal. Took me a little while to break my Glock conditioning. My hands were to big for the G27 and I had to mentally adjust my finger. Now it just falls in place were it should be. The recoil is a lot less than the G27 too. I'm happier with this one over all the other firearms I have shot.

Now I just need to get my ammo supply back up.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Beretta Px4 Storm

don,t own one, but had the opportunity to shoot a customers compact in 9mm. i gotta say i found it pleasant and very accurate. not a fan of the ergo,s and finish. the gun does not fit me well and the finish chipped just doing a sight change. it does have beretta quality and if it fit,s you well you have a handgun that should give you years of service. thankfully we have many choices to choose from as we are all different in likes and dislikes. happy shooting, aim small shoot small. red dog

(Lancaster County)

What Holster are you guys using with this gun...I have the sub compact in .40 cal...wonderful little pistol..

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    If you do a search there is plenty of talk about this gun on this forum. I have and there is lot of Pro and Cons about this gun. I own a PX4 in 45acp I really like the gun, you know how good it feels in hand and how well its built. Your PX4 compact is suppose to shoot as well as a full size gun and still offer concealibilty. There is a lot of talk about replacing the sights on the compact and full size guns, so your evaluation seems correct.

It is a Beretta and that is enough said. Its one of my favorite guns in 45acp light but doesn't recoil much because as you said the rotary barrel and ergonomic. It is accurate and reliable BUT I will say its not as reliable as its cousin the 92/96 series. I own them too and they are very reliable.

I've heard that the Rorary barrel requires cleaning at around 400-500 rounds, whereas the 92/96 series round count before failure is well past 3k rounds or more. I've never had a problem with my PX4 because my outings are less then 300 rounds a setting (45 is expensive). In this time I've never had a failure that was the guns fault.

You are right it is an outstanding gun, but what would we expect from Beretta.
    I'll likely never know if the barrel needs cleaning after 500 rds because I usually shoot 80-150 rds per outing 2-3 times a week and never like to take it out more than twice without cleaning it.. I definatly feel your pain with the cost of .45 caliber ammo, I have an XDM .45 that I like alot just burns to big of a hole in my pocket taking it out to the range.. I've never shot either the 92 or 96, but after owning the Storm I'm definatly interested in what else Beretta has to offer

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGuardSAI View Post
    What Holster are you guys using with this gun...I have the sub compact in .40 cal...wonderful little pistol..
    As of right now, a regular iwb nylon holster ($15 at any local gun shop).. At the end of the week I'm ordering a Crossbreed Supertuck deluxe holster, which is rumored to be one of the best conceal carry holsters on the market.. I REALLY don't like to order anything before seeing it first hand, but next to NO firearms dealers (at least that I know of) carry them, but they offer a 2 week trial period from when u recieve it to try it out, if u don't like it u can send it back and get a refund.. They make them for a wide selection of handguns too, I can check back and let u guys know what I think once I recieve it if u wish

(Beaver County)

I've had mine (.40) for about 3 years now, carry almost every day in a Comp-tac Minotaur IWB. Love it. For OWB I bought a Blackhawks retention holster which is even more comfortable. My only complaint is that some of the finish is wearing off from daily carry.