Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default My First Revolver! S&W Model 28-2

Well as some of you have been reading i had the opportunity to buy a S&W Model 28-2 from a co-worker. Well today we went and did the deal. He originally offered the gun to me for 250 (he did know what it was worth) but today when we met at the shop to do the transfer i told him i wanted to give him 350 and he allowed me to do so. If it was someone else i just would of did the 250 but i work with the guy and he did know what it was worth and still only wanted to do the 250 but i said i didn't feel right about it and offered him the 350, this way he wins some and i win. Well here it is, i must admit when i looked at it in the parking lot of eaglearms it looked like it hadn't been clean in i dont know how many years but it still looked nice and just needed a good cleaning. So when i brought it home i gave it a quick cleaning and i must say it cleaned up nice!

Also i thought he had put rubber grips on the gun but here they are just bigger S&W grips but the original grips were included with the gun (SN# matches) as well as the box and papers and the original purchase price from 1974 when he bought it.

These are just some crappy cellphone pictures, there is a little wear here and there and some of t he marks on the gun is just smudges from cleaning.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My First Revolver! S&W Model 28-2

Very nice revolver. I'm a fan of the N frame .45 ACP's and .357's. I have a pre model 27 with a 6 1/2" bbl. A 27-2 with an 8 3/8" bbl and a 28-2 with a 6" bbl that I just got a few weeks ago. All very accurate revolvers. The big frame really soaks up a lot of the magnum recoil. Light .38 spl's are almost like plinking with a .22.

Hang on to the original grips, box, papers, tools etc. They really do add value to the gun in collectors eyes. Those target grips would easily get $50 on eBay if you ever choose to part with them.

Congrats on your new S&W!
    Last edited by pennlineman; May 16th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Congratulations. At $350 you still got a very good deal and can feel good about how you treated your co-worker. Great classic S&W, desirable gun to collectors and S&W enthuiasts. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape; not much of a turn line on the cylinder and the screws look like they've never been removed. The box and paper work are a bonus. Your post implies that you got a second set of S&W grips that are serial numbered to the gun? The smaller "Magna" grips? Extra-Extra bonus. Shoot safe and have fun with it.

(Delaware County)

Awesome deal on an awesome gun.

Love N frames, especially with 3.5 and 4 inch bbls. Classiest set up possible. I've been looking for a deal like that for a long time, cant seem to find one much under $500.

Good luck and ENJOY!
    NRA for life.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by cptdco View Post
    Congratulations. At $350 you still got a very good deal and can feel good about how you treated your co-worker. Great classic S&W, desirable gun to collectors and S&W enthuiasts. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape; not much of a turn line on the cylinder and the screws look like they've never been removed. The box and paper work are a bonus. Your post implies that you got a second set of S&W grips that are serial numbered to the gun? The smaller "Magna" grips? Extra-Extra bonus. Shoot safe and have fun with it.
    They are the Original smaller grips that came on the gun yes. Thanks for the info on the "turn line" i dont know much at all about revolvers but i look on the guide that is sitting around here some where and from what i can tell the lock, and timing seem to be good, but like i said i dont know much about revolvers. Ill have to post another picture with the box and original grips when i get a chance.

(Montgomery County)

Assuming it hasn't had an amateur trigger job done to it, and the timing is ok, you got a great deal. Even if you needed to send it out and have it rebuilt, it would still be a good deal, IMO. Nice gun.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Susquehanna County)

I have to admit to a twinge of envy!

That is a very fine revolver! Treat it well and it will give you a lifetime of service!

If you get tired of it please let me know! I've opened a rescue mission for unwanted firearms!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Congratulations on a nice find. I have a 28 that is a bit older. It shoots really well but it's not nearly as pretty as the one you just got.

(Pike County)

Congratulations on joining the N frame club. My 28-2 is one of my favorite guns to shoot. You have a very nice gun there!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    Congratulations on joining the N frame club. My 28-2 is one of my favorite guns to shoot. You have a very nice gun there!
    Thanks! I cant wait to shoot it! I have to go to a wedding on Saturday so i wont be able to shoot it until Sunday! Looks like i will be going to the Firing Line since its kinda local and my favorite indoor range closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast