Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Is the Wexford SGL range open?

i used to go there before joining lfsc and i dont miss that place a bit. it was all beat up ,unsafe shooters,etc. and the range OFFICIAL checking my rifle mags to boot(3 round max). i dont shoot like rambo, but i dont miss the hassles either. apparently people were actually shooting at the target supports until they collapsed, really ? people like that should lose their guns and get a beat-down. having a full mag doesnt equate to unsafe or irresponsible shooting.black guns= people watching your every move...lol. i would like to shoot pistol there if im cruising by on bike,but i dont miss it one bit. i hope they resolve the unsafe behavior and improve the range for shooters who rely on it and weed out the hoodlums.
    Last edited by 86250rrippin; May 20th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by 86250rrippin View Post
    i used to go there before joining lfsc and i dont miss that place a bit. it was all beat up ,unsafe shooters,etc. and the range nazi checking my rifle mags to boot(3 round max). i dont shoot like rambo, but i dont miss the hassles either. apparently people were actually shooting at the target supports until they collapsed, really ? people like that should lose their guns and get a beat-down. having a full mag doesnt equate to unsafe or irresponsible shooting.black guns= people watching your every move...lol. i would like to shoot pistol there if im cruising by on bike,but i dont miss it one bit. i hope they resolve the unsafe behavior and improve the range for shooters who rely on it and weed out the hoodlums.
    A guy doing the job the sportsmen pay him to do is a Range Nazi? Bet you never called him that face to face. Perhaps he should have checked everyone else and skipped you?
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Westmoreland County)

lol, the fact i had black guns made him key on me. maybe they could watch the people blowing the backdrops to pieces instead of hassling safe shooters. having more than 3 rounds in my carbine isnt keeping the range safe and in - tact.i get what your saying though, its his job to check. i just didnt like the attitude i got and the undercover officials watching. im happier now being able to enjoy my range outings, and shoot @ 200,300 yards also. if your happy counting your rounds wheen shooting...that great . have fun and shoot safe. god bless the range OFFICIAL!!!
    Last edited by 86250rrippin; May 20th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

(Washington County)

lol, the fact i had black guns made him key on me. maybe they could watch the people blowing the backdrops to pieces instead of hassling safe shooters. having more than 3 rounds in my carbine isnt keeping the range safe and in - tact.i get what your saying though, its his job to check. i just didnt like the attitude i got and the undercover officials watching. im happier now being able to enjoy my range outings, and shoot @ 200,300 yards also. if your happy counting your rounds wheen shooting...that great . have fun and shoot safe. god bless the range nazi !!!
    He dont make the laws. FWIW there is no law prohibiting shooting thru the back drops and supports. Bit there is a red prohibiting more than 3 rounds in a long gun and 6 in a hand gun at the handgun range.

I just thought comparing a guy doing his job to Nazi's is over the top, And I know the WCO that checked and I would eat my hat of you got attitude from him. He is a good guy and a youth minister. BTW if you ever get attitude from a WCO or DWCO, a quick call to the regional office will take care of that.

Sometimes WCOs, do work undercover and even hide in the bushes to catch people violating or tearing up the range. Seems if they stand around in uniform, nobody violates then...lol
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

lol, the fact i had black guns made him key on me. maybe they could watch the people blowing the backdrops to pieces instead of hassling safe shooters. having more than 3 rounds in my carbine isnt keeping the range safe and in - tact.i get what your saying though, its his job to check. i just didnt like the attitude i got and the undercover officials watching. im happier now being able to enjoy my range outings, and shoot @ 200,300 yards also. if your happy counting your rounds wheen shooting...that great . have fun and shoot safe. god bless the range nazi !!!
    He didn't make the rules, he's just there to enforce them. And you're free to shoot somewhere else if you don't like the rules there. I doubt he keyed in on you because you had a black gun. Everybody has black guns. I have black guns. I've never been hassled. But then again, I treat them like regular guys doing their jobs, not Nazis.

The PGC employee that I talked to who's working on the range reconstruction project seemed like a decent guy who really wants to serve the shooting community. And it does take a fair amount of maintenance to keep the place serviceable, considering the daily heavy usage. So give them some credit - you got what you paid for.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Is the Wexford SGL range open?

i get it, i see i have negative feedback from that post. thats fine .... i understand they dont want gang-bangers blowing the place up and tactical nuts shooting full auto there, but i am neither. he was questioning me how many rounds were in my mag and checking my current hunting license hanging on my range bag facing him and holding up my range sight-in session. between the hassle of that and the unsafe shooters with new guns right out of the box shooting before cleaning and lubing and the guy shooting a pistol 3-4 feet behind the line blowing casings on the guy next to him. also seen a family with several young children walking around without hearing protection...great parents there. i decided to pay a few bucks and enjoy my shooting. as far as shooting into the backstop supports, if thats what you want to shoot at , have at it. i prefer shooting at my birch casey stick-ons on a piece of 8.5 x 11 puter paper affixed to the middle of the backstock so the support will last longer . ymmv

(Westmoreland County)

And you're free to shoot somewhere else if you don't like the rules there

i dont and i did, the club i belong to is pretty nice. i can actually load a full mag now, shhhhh dont tell anyone though im sure its tough trying to monitor a bunch of people with firearms with little or no sense. the knock-down steel plates are too much fun............

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlpacaFarmer View Post
    I was at the range today at 12:30...strange (but good) experience
    - less than 12 people there
    - most were couples
    - no jackasses
    - all backstops were pristine...I got to shoot the first holes in both the pistol and 25yrd range

But the strange thing was that I saw 2 reporter-type people interviewing some of the couples and taking pictures. I'm wondering if we'll soon see an article in the Post Gazette.
    Sounds like a good day. Always love breaking in a new backstop. The hubby and I try to get out to the Wexford range at least once a week, but haven't been out for a while. Glad to see they are keeping up with repairs.

Also, it would be nice to see a positive news article on the shooting sports. I did a quick web-search and didn't find anything yet. I'll keep looking and if/when I do find something, I'll share it here.

(Allegheny County)

i went today and sunday. i talked to the guy who owns the gunshop closeby and he wasn't sure when they were closing it down for the new renovation. he said it would be stupid of them to get rid of the shotgun range.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlpacaFarmer View Post
    I was at the range today at 12:30...strange (but good) experience
    - less than 12 people there
    - most were couples
    - no jackasses
    - all backstops were pristine...I got to shoot the first holes in both the pistol and 25yrd range

But the strange thing was that I saw 2 reporter-type people interviewing some of the couples and taking pictures. I'm wondering if we'll soon see an article in the Post Gazette.
    Yup, here it is in the Trib: Marshall range benefits from growing interest in target shooting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast