Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Thinking about a Smith & Wesson Model 28 as a First Revolver

Well i'm thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman as my first revolver. A guy i work with is selling it, he bought it brand new in 1968 i think he said and from my understanding really didn't shoot it that much but i'm gonna talk to him more about it one Monday. The price that he is giving it to me for seems to be a steal around $250. I told him its most likely worth more, he told me he knows that he would rather sell it to me for his price then someone else for a higher price (I've worked with him for years and he lives a few miles from my parents so we grew up in the same area just decades apart). I'm gonna check it out but i'm pretty sure it will be in great condition. He only ever really took it hunting as a back up or "finishing" gun if you will, but he got a snub nose years ago and never takes it anymore.

One question on this gun is, if i decide to carry it once in a while with its age is it the type of gun that you could want to carry on an empty chamber? Also any other info on this gun would be great. From what i hear it built to take all the .357 magnum loads you want to throw at it. Also this is the 4" barrel model.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Thinking about a Smith & Wesson Model 28 as a First Revolver

GET IT get it now. these are first rate wheelguns and you won't regret it. No need to carry an empty chamber either.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

Those guns have skyrocketed in price in the last year. I bought a 6" 28-2 for $400 in Feb. '11 and traded a ratty and well-used S&W model 17 for a pristine 4" 28-2 last June. The price I see for them now is closer to $550-600. Those two guns are my favorite revolvers. $250 for one is practically theft.

You can carry the gun safely with all chambers loaded, S&W's (unless very, very old) have a hammer block safety. Although I wouldn't use it as a carry gun given it's value if kept in nice condition.

(Bucks County)

My father had one for years. Sort of expected it to be passed down to me someday, my mistake. That was a 6" model though. He foolishly traded it in for a run-of-the-mill hunting rifle plus cash when I told him it was shooting slightly out of time, spitting lead out the sides. He could of just got it fixed.
    Don't worry about holster wear and carrying it, the finish on those are not fancy. They have been called the working mans 357. If it were me and I was going to carry it, I'd do a shoulder holster as these guns are "hefty".
    If your friend is genorous enough to give you the gun at his price, a steak dinner or some other form of thanx would be in order, IMO.

(Lehigh County)

Yea, im definitely gonna pick this gun up, ill talk to him tomorrow and get things in the works. I just have to wait for payday on Friday and the 13 hours of overtime that i worked the last two weeks will pay for it plus some ammo. I already found speed loaders that will work for the gun, just have to find a decent holster!

(Perry County)

Excellent choice, in fact a 6" 28 was my first handgun. It is the big N Frame, so any holster that fits N frame Smiths should be fine. I am sure you will love the gun and the price is great.

(Montgomery County)

You do realize we expect pictures once you have it.

I have my father's model 28-2. When I was around 12 I loved turning soda cans into swiss cheese with it and even now, while it may not be the most comfortable gun for me to hold I am by far the most accurate with it and for that I will always love it. I shoot mostly .38's out of it for target shooting and I don't have too much experience shooting bigger calibers and magnum loads in general but when I shoot .357 magnum loads out of it I can feel the percussion hitting my face and chest. It's awesome.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    You do realize we expect pictures once you have it.

I have my father's model 28-2. When I was around 12 I loved turning soda cans into swiss cheese with it and even now, while it may not be the most comfortable gun for me to hold I am by far the most accurate with it and for that I will always love it. I shoot mostly .38's out of it for target shooting and I don't have too much experience shooting bigger calibers and magnum loads in general but when I shoot .357 magnum loads out of it I can feel the percussion hitting my face and chest. It's awesome.
    Yup, I think pictures of a new gun is a forum rule, lol

The Big N frame is always a nice addition to ones collection. It has limited use in conceal carry use but it' huntiings, Range and overall shootability means it will get lots of use preparing for home defense and any type of defensive shooting course. It usually has a decent trigger and sights along with being very durable. Enjoy your 1st choice the N frame 28!!

(Westmoreland County)

I have a 4 inch Model 28 I've had for years now. It was my first "N" frame S&W and I still carry/shoot it on occasion. Odd thing is, it does not have a Model 28 marking on the frame under the crane. Even stranger is that the SN puts it several years after S&W started to model mark their revolvers. I can only figure it was a factory mis-mark of some sort.

I do have a Pre-Model 28 Highway Patrolman in a 6 inch. My wife's (who carries a Sig .45 and is not a tiny gal) comment on it was "That's a big honkin' handgun".

Both shoot great and are very controlable. I'm sure you will be pleased by this one. Ohh and what your friend is selling it to you for deserves a bit of payback. That's about half of what a fairly nice one retails for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast