Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: I need a scope

(Schuylkill County)

Default I need a scope

Well I am in the process of purchasing a Browning X bolt Medallion. I am looking for opinions for a scope for it. It will be used for deer hunting as well as recreational distance shooting. This is my dream rifle so I wanna put some decent glass on it. I was thinking of Leopold X3.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I need a scope

What power scope are you looking for? Most people for 100 yards (and I suppose 200 yards although the ranges by me are limited to 100) are perfectly fine with a 4x. Love my Leatherwood CMR 1-4x illuminated scope for around $318. Millet DMS scope is also in the same category.

(Somerset County)

You don't say what caliber nor how far 'recreational distance shooting' is.

I've been running a 6X Leupold on a 270 since the early 80's. I've shot both groundhogs and deer to 300 yds plus with it.

My last 2 scope purchases have been 3-9 Bushnell Elites, I was after the something with the Rainguard coating for hunting rifles. Ones on a 30-06, the other on a 7mm-08. I don't know that I would put them on a real hard kicker, I think I would like a bit more eye relief on something bigger than an 30-06.

That's what works for me, YMMV.

Dale

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Well I am in the process of purchasing a Browning X bolt Medallion. I am looking for opinions for a scope for it. It will be used for deer hunting as well as recreational distance shooting. This is my dream rifle so I wanna put some decent glass on it. I was thinking of Leopold X3.
    IMO you can't go wrong with Leupold optics.I have Leupolds on most of my hunting rifles mostly 3x9 x40 Vari x 1 and 2.They make great scopes and have a great warranty,again IMO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    You don't say what caliber nor how far 'recreational distance shooting' is.

I've been running a 6X Leupold on a 270 since the early 80's. I've shot both groundhogs and deer to 300 yds plus with it.

My last 2 scope purchases have been 3-9 Bushnell Elites, I was after the something with the Rainguard coating for hunting rifles. Ones on a 30-06, the other on a 7mm-08. I don't know that I would put them on a real hard kicker, I think I would like a bit more eye relief on something bigger than an 30-06.

That's what works for me, YMMV.

Dale
    It is in 270. And I would like to be able to shoot 200-300 yards. I dont know much about hunting scopes. Just wanna get a quality optic the first time. Dont wanna have to buy twice.

(Somerset County)

In addition to the Leupold and Bushnells, I own 2 Weavers, another Bushnell and a Nikon. The Leupold went back for service after 30 years of use, one of the Weavers was rebuilt in the 80's and is working fine, never had a bit of problems with the others (yet).

There are a ton of good scopes so here's some things to think about:

Stay away from the 50 mm lenses and anything over 14X. No need for the 50's and they look like sewer pipes on a svelte rifle. Summertime mirage will often make anything over 14X or so useless.

KISS principle says a 6X will do everything you want, for a variable I'd look real hard at a 2-7 or 3-9. Leupold, Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell Elite, or Zeiss if you've got enough dollars, Redfield or Weaver if dollars are a bit tight.

Stay away from the bubble packed stuff at Walmart.

Check out as many as you can, your eyes may see differences as you look through them.

Dale

(Lehigh County)

For what seemed like a year or more the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 was on sale everywhere for $399. It looks like the price has gone up most everywhere. I found this place with a google search...I have never ordered from them so your mileage may vary. There may still be other places offering this scope for 400. It's pretty hard to beat that bang for your buck.

http://www.discountgunmart.com/produ...campaign=13545

(Bucks County)

Leopold X3 in 3 - 9 power would be great for that rifle. You can't go wrong with their scopes and this from someone who only owned 1 Leopold.

Bushnell has various lines and the quality varies as well as the price. I don't know if Weaver is the old Weaver or just a new company using the old name. The disappeared from the market at one time.

I would suggest a 44mm objective lens or close to that. On a quality scope a larger objective lens gathers more light. This helps extend the day or sometimes in shaded situations. You have to balance the size/balance of the outfit when going larger but I know from experience I valued the 50mm lens hunting out west for elk.

Some other brands I have had good scopes from are Burris, Redfield, Nikon, Pentax. I've had good and marginal Tascos and Bushnells with the marginal ones the under $100 and the good on their higher end. Also have a few good Cabela's name brand scopes.

I just bought my first Vortex and it's on it's way back having a reticle that is about 30 deg off. How something like that gets out the door is beyond me. They are now off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    What is your budget? Crumby glass can turn a dream gun into a nightmare. I'd steer clear from Leupold, at least until they get some of their QC issues rectified. If this really your 'dream gun', don't cheap out on the glass, to include but not limited to leatherwood, redfield, leupold, tasco, etc. Bushnell is really stepping their game up, but your looking at around a grand for anything good.

I'm putting an SWFA 3-9x44 on a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm WSM. It has brass internals, external adjustments, it's mil/mil.

Just make sure you choose wisely, like you said, you only want to buy once.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    What is your budget? Crumby glass can turn a dream gun into a nightmare. I'd steer clear from Leupold, at least until they get some of their QC issues rectified. If this really your 'dream gun', don't cheap out on the glass, to include but not limited to leatherwood, redfield, leupold, tasco, etc. Bushnell is really stepping their game up, but your looking at around a grand for anything good.

I'm putting an SWFA 3-9x44 on a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm WSM. It has brass internals, external adjustments, it's mil/mil.

Just make sure you choose wisely, like you said, you only want to buy once.
    Not sure of my budget yet. I dont mind spending a little to get quality. I also dont mind having the rifle sit opticless until I get the right one. I'm not in a hurry just trying to gather some good info to make it easier when it comes time to buy. I have read alot of good about Leupold and am surprised to hear to stay away from them. I will for sure look into Bushnell as well. Never heard of SWFA but will look now.

Thanks for all the replies guys and keep them coming.