Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For the shotgun experts

I'll preface this by saying I know a lot more about pistols than long arms.

I have an L.C. Smith Field Grade side-by-side 12 gauge. It was my GREAT-grandfather's shotgun, and from the little research I was able to do, it seems to have been from around 1930's. According to my family interviews, the last time it was shot was in the 1970's.

It's in very good condition, and is very tight (hardly been shot, from what I've gathered). However, when I look closely, I see two small hairline cracks, one on each side, of the stock, where the metal plate meets the wood. They are both less than an inch long, and I cannot catch my nail on them.

My question for the shotgun experts: Is this something I should be worried about? I haven't shot the gun yet, and I would like to. Is this gun still shoot-able? I don't want to have to bring it to a gunsmith...is there any easy way I can repair these small cracks if it does need to be done?

I will not be selling the gun, as it has been in my family since before ww2, and it has tremendous sentimental value to me.

Thanks in advance.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: For the shotgun experts

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I know a lot more about pistols than long arms.

I have an L.C. Smith Field Grade side-by-side 12 gauge. It was my GREAT-grandfather's shotgun, and from the little research I was able to do, it seems to have been from around 1930's. According to my family interviews, the last time it was shot was in the 1970's.

It's in very good condition, and is very tight (hardly been shot, from what I've gathered). However, when I look closely, I see two small hairline cracks, one on each side, of the stock, where the metal plate meets the wood. They are both less than an inch long, and I cannot catch my nail on them.

My question for the shotgun experts: Is this something I should be worried about? I haven't shot the gun yet, and I would like to. Is this gun still shoot-able? I don't want to have to bring it to a gunsmith...is there any easy way I can repair these small cracks if it does need to be done?

I will not be selling the gun, as it has been in my family since before ww2, and it has tremendous sentimental value to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Is the crack in a metal part or in the stock?
    Either way, I would suggest you contact a gunsmith, or else just hang it on the wall and appreciate it that way.

Thanks for the reply. The hairline cracks are in the wood, right where it meets the plates.

The rest of the gun seems in great condition... One of my friends who knows about these was in town and told me it looked very tight and hardly ever used.

When I read up about these lc smiths I discovered that the wood was a weak point. I carefully inspected and sure enough, two thin cracks. One of them is almost impossible to see.

(Bucks County)

talk to a smith about the barrels. They would be able to check them and tell you about the material and pressure.

(Lycoming County)

Yeah, like thefirstndsecond said, be sure that the thing can handle the pressures of modern loads..

I'm pretty sure the modern plastic shells create a good bit more pressure than the old paper cartridges and the last thing you want is a barrel or receiver blowing up in your face.

(Carbon County)

i had one of old peerless 12ga side by side. the lock up was a little loose and the barrel tips were pitted, i took it to the gun smith to get checked and he said it will be fine using low brass field loads. i took it out and shot it. i just wasnt comfortable shooting it after 6 shots so i retired it. the steel back then is different and thinner. its probably ok with low brass, but i perfer to leave it where it belongs, on the wall

(Montgomery County)

OK, I am officially going to demand that you post pictures!
    I just looked at this website LCSmith and these guns are beautiful.
    Please share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    OK, I am officially going to demand that you post pictures!
    I just looked at this website LCSmith and these guns are beautiful.
    Please share it with us.
    I'm posting from my phone right now, so I'll be able to post pics later on. The ironic thing is that my family has never been 'gun enthusiasts', but the few that are in my family just happen to be rare and cool designs.

Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the great advice here. I first thought it would make for a home defense piece, but after thinking about how old it is, along with the small wood cracks, and now everyone's thoughts on how cartridge pressures have changed since the 30's, I think it'd be best to just keep it as the family heirloom that it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast