Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: age question

(Chester County)

Default age question

ok ive been looking around the internet for the past few days trying to research this topic and i am now seeing things that say you must be 21 to buy from a licenced dealer but at 18-20 you may buy from an unlicenced private party (gun show). the only problem is that everything i find is from 99-00. all i want to know is if this is still in effect. i saw one piece trying to change the law online but nothing said that it got accepted. for my whole life i thought the age to buy was 21 period. im 19 and have always wanted a revolver but thought it was a lost cause until i was 21.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: age question

A pistol transfer can be made to someone 18 or older in PA. However, no matter of what age you are - the transfer must be conducted through an FFL or county Sheriff so that a background check is made and the (im)proper PA State Police form is filled out.

The only exception is: if a parent, grandparent, spouse or child gives/sells you a pistol. ...then NO transfer work is lawfully necessary. Your grandparents or parents may lawfully give you a pistol. But, for yours and their sake - receipt should be made.

(Chester County)

ok so when i go to the gun show at the farm show complex this weekend how much of a hassle is it going to be for me to buy a handgun. is it something i can do there (going through the FFL or sheriff).

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    ok so when i go to the gun show at the farm show complex this weekend how much of a hassle is it going to be for me to buy a handgun. is it something i can do there (going through the FFL or sheriff).
    You won't be able to buy at the show, you need to be 21 to do that. You must being someone with you, older than 21, who can buy the handgun, and then have that handgun transferred to you.

You're going to pay for 2 transfers, one from the FFL to the buyer, and another from the buyer to you, but I think that's the only way it can be done given that you're too young to buy yourself.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas