Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9

(Monroe County)

Default Kahr PM9

I own a G19 and love it (my first and only firearm ATM) but for me I feel that it will be a little large to conceal in the summer. In addition my wife is considering getting her LTCF and she is petitie). Therefore I am considering either a G26 or a Kahr PM9. I know alot about the G26 and that they are great, but they are not nearly as small as the PM9.
    My questions are does anyone here have experience with the PM9 and would they reccomend it for summer carry (i.e. not as backup, is it reliable, etc.)? Also which of the two would you choose and why? (I realize the second is subjective but it will be helpful). And of course, I expect to fire both and try them on before buying. Thanks in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Kahr PM9

I'm 5'-2 150 and conceal a G19 in the summer. Suck it up, sissy!

Seriously though, if you are looking for a 'smaller' gun then don't get the G26 - the thickness is the same, and to make it comfortable to shoot (IMO) you need the mag extension for your pinky. Then you are pretty much at G19 grip length and the point is moot.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
    I'm 5'-2 150 and conceal a G19 in the summer. Suck it up, sissy!

Seriously though, if you are looking for a 'smaller' gun then don't get the G26 - the thickness is the same, and to make it comfortable to shoot (IMO) you need the mag extension for your pinky. Then you are pretty much at G19 grip length and the point is moot.
    well, my wife is smaller than you ... But that was exactly my concern with the G26. Thanks.

(Cambria County)

While ai don't actually own either a Glock or a Kahr, I have fondled....er...handled both of them at my favorite gun store (they are really nice there, and let me fondle...er...handle the guns as much as I want ) Since my hads are small, I found the Glocks WAY too "chunky" for my hands--in other words, once I get my hand wrapped around the grip, I can't reach the trigger enough to pull it The Kahr has a MUCH slimmer grip, one that I can fit my hand around and still be able to get to the trigger. I was seriously considering the Kahr, but was looking for something a little smaller that I could conceal effectively. Still, if I was looking for a 9mm, I'd be mighty tempted to go that route.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Montgomery County)

My bride has a PM9C. It is certainly easily concealed. It is a drag to shoot though. It is so narrow and the stippling is quite sharp. It bites the hand that feeds it. If you cannot carry anything else, it is fine IMHO.
    The thing that I do not like is the fact that I feel a whole bunch better shooting my carry guns at the range. I like to practice and the Kahr is just no fun to shoot.
    Mrs. 9mmMike shoots the 228 and G19 at the range.
    The Kahr is reliable, I guess, but I much prefer the G26 for daily carry.

(Allegheny County)

Try the p9 covert.

I read a writeup done by a friend of mine that likes the 3 1/2 in bbl (P9) as opposed to the 3 in in the PM9.

Early on, the PM9 had feeding problems due to the angle of the feed ramp which had to be increased to make the gun more compact.

There was also some issue with the recoil spring ( I'm going from memory here and may have this part wrong). If I have time, I'll try to find the writeup.

As in all guns, you will get people who have absolutely no problems with their PM9 so you can take any advice with a grain of salt.

I don't know if any mods have been done to the design of the pistol to correct this.

I have the P9 covert and like it for deeper concealment (ankle, pocket) and bought it based on two people I know who got this pistol and like it a lot.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    well, my wife is smaller than you ... But that was exactly my concern with the G26. Thanks.
    Well, if she's smaller than me, then yes, the Glock is probably too 'chunky', especially for on-body carry. Has she thought about a snubby .38 or something like that? Or are you guys sold on an auto?

edit: On second thought, a cylinder is probably as thick as a Glock...

(Monroe County)

thanks, I will do some fondling and see what happens.

(Beaver County)

PM9. Great summer carry gun. When I first got mine, I was really surprised at the accuracy & dependibility.

(York County)

It was an MK-9, but see what Joe (may he rest in peace) had to say about his Kahr:

http://www.f-r-i.com/joe.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast