Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I'd rather be shot than...

be punched by one of these guys.

Most amazing Martial Arts video you'll ever see.

At least if somebody shoots at you, ballistics and laws of chaos will give you a chance. Without counting that the shot might miss you entirely. At least you'd have a chance.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I'd rather be shot than...

I actually watched that show Last night on Discovery. Its very interesting. Aparently when you make hard contacts on your bones in areas over and over, the microscopic structures of your bones, break somewhat and regrow back a little bit thicker every time all the time. And you can them build that up into eventually breaking stone, crushing bones(literally) and surviving blows that would otherwise be 100% fatal to anyone else. I guess the Samurai were on to something!
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bucks County)

If I ever have to walk through the Garden Center behind Home Depot at night and a pallet of concrete walkway pavers starts eyeing me up as an easy mark, I will be certain to call on one of these guys. That'll show 'em!
    Last edited by Arcana71; November 20th, 2008 at 03:01 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    I actually watched that show Last night on Discovery. Its very interesting. Aparently when you make hard contacts on your bones in areas over and over, the microscopic structures of your bones, break somewhat and regrow back a little bit thicker every time all the time. And you can them build that up into eventually breaking stone, crushing bones(literally) and surviving blows that would otherwise be 100% fatal to anyone else. I guess the Samurai were on to something!
    Drak
    Yes but that can get ugly, my right hand knuckles are bigger than my left, I've seen guys hands that look like they were deformed

(Montgomery County)

I don't know what these clowns are trying to do but the weight does transfer energy from one block to the next. If you watch his hands DO NOT pass the area of the blocks. The weight from the upper crashes into the lower. I once watched a guy break ice blocks fro the top of a roof. He broke the first one and then you could sit back and drink a soda by the time the last one broke. He didn't pass through, he'd end up on the ground if he did. If you hit something and it doesn't give way, this case break, SOME of the energy will come back. More if you hit a harder object like a block less if you hit wood, because the wood gives more. You loose energy though the transfer. I can break the last board in a three board stack leaving the first two intact. Why because the first board deflects just a little making the last board deflect just enough to break. Acceleration isn't the only thing that important, really its not that important at all in breaking objects, only the speed the object is traveling at and its mass(force) at impact is important. Say I accelerate from 0 to 3 mph in .00000000000000000000000000000001 sec. WOW my hand hitting the board at 3 mph isn't going to break it unless Its braced and I have lots of lbs of mass behind it.

Hitting a bunch of blocks with you head is not like hitting a telephone pole with your head, okay so by one measurement on the first block it is, but the first block would easily give way if anyone hit it that hard which absorbs some of the energy and then the next and the next.
    They make it sound like this guy could break a telephone pole with his head, I'd like to him him try that. I believe it might be possible but this test isn't the same thing at all, the spaces create a buffer zone, sort of like a crush zone in a car. and not surprisingly his head didn't pass through the whole range of blocks! Why because the weight of the first and its speed that it was traveling downwards from his strike helps break the second and so on.

All that being said these guys can kick ass and what they are doing isn't easy or a trick. However the video is making it out to be more than it is.
    Last edited by whoshisface; December 7th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

(Lebanon County)

The Science of Fighting.

Notice how those guys are not jacked at all. Something that's always interested me, and is very well hidden. I think besides the bones, the real power also comes from your joints. I'm sure those guys stretch almost as much as they work out. I've been into Muay Thai for a long while, which is considered a science of fighting, rather than a martial art as well. Pretty interesting stuff, very dangerous. Almost like the responsibility of owning a gun in itself. Once you start hitting in certain ways, you could easily kill someone.

(Montgomery County)

Speed usually requires flexibility. Without a doubt for a 155lb guy like me its very important to have. I like muay but all that shin kicking, doing nerve damage to yourself, isn't for me. Of course when I get an elbow to the shin I wished I had taken that martial art.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Yes but that can get ugly, my right hand knuckles are bigger than my left,.....

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I can break the last board in a three board stack leaving the first two intact.
    Note to self:

* Add Exceltoexcel to the list of people not to mess with.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Neither of those two things are that impressive. The board thing is more about control and feeling/knowing when to stop moving your hand forward. The hand thing anyone can do, get a yellow pine board 12inches grain wise X 8 inches counter grain and punch it without the intent to break it every day for a few months and you'll start to see the same thing. I hit a bag filled with pinto beans almost every day for at least 15 minutes for about 3 years as well. The difference isn't that noticeable, I stopped after I saw some dudes hands that made him look like a freak. his knuckles were like the size of a small walnut, it was repulsive and I doubt the ladies found it attractive. I'm a mediocre martial artist at best, still I'd appreciate it if you didn't mess with me

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post

Notice how those guys are not jacked at all.
    What do you mean by these guys not being jacked at all??

By "jacked" i suppose you mean the size of their muscles. These mofos look like they lift trucks for a living. They are so big, you cant tell their necks from their shoulders.
    ==============
    ~Samuel Adams

~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast