Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: auto questions

(Lehigh County)

Default auto questions

I would like to have a full auto .22 of some sort but i dont know the process or legality and I have the following quesitons

is it legal to convert a gun? if so what is the process to do it legally, which firearms are the best to do this with? What are the costs?

thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: auto questions

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I would like to have a full auto .22 of some sort but i dont know the process or legality and I have the following quesitons

is it legal to convert a gun? if so what is the process to do it legally, which firearms are the best to do this with? What are the costs?

thanks
    Yes you can convert a 10/22 to full auto legally with a registered Norrell Trigger pack. Or you can buy one with the trigger pack already installed. There are also many other machine guns that can be converted to shoot .22 such as M16's, MAC's, and Uzi's.

Machine guns were banned for civilian use in 1986, so you need to find one that was manufactured and registered prior to 86. That includes sears, drop-in auto sears, lightning links, trigger packs, etc.

You should read the stickies in this subforum for information on the legal process.

(Lehigh County)

is there a cheap way to do it legally that doesnt cost 10k? IF i have a pre 86 gun, can it be converted by a gunsmith at a reasonable cost or does that just not exist?

(Armstrong County)

No, just because the weapon is pre-86 does not mean you can still convert it to a machine gun. It needed to be registered as a machine gun on a Form1 with a paid tax before May19 1986. After May of 1986, this type of conversion is considered illegal.
    These are called transferable machine guns, they can be bought and sold by anyone who can legally own a weapon.
    Anything else can only be owned by Military, Law Enforcement, or FFLs with the proper licensing (class 3 dealers)

Like Bacon posted above, there are a few machine guns that can use 22 conversion kits in them.
    M11/Nine - ~$3500 - Fires 9mm and will accept a 22LR kit
    MAC M10/9 - ~$3500-4500 - Fires 9mm and will accept a 22LR kit
    Voere - ~$4500 - Fires 22LR only
    Uzi - $6500-8000 - Fires 9mm and will accept a 22LR kit
    Ruger 10/22 sear - ~$9000-10000 - Fires 22LR only
    AM180 - ~$10000 - Fires 22LR only...but from a 165rd or 270rd drum
    M16/AR15 - ~$10500 and up - Fires almost any conversion available for their semi auto cousins.

there are a few other auto 22s out there. Some one makes a Thompson that takes stick mags. There are a few AK47 22LR out there as well. Been a while since i have seen any though.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    is there a cheap way to do it legally that doesnt cost 10k? IF i have a pre 86 gun, can it be converted by a gunsmith at a reasonable cost or does that just not exist?
    No, it needs to have been registered and made into a machine gun before 1986.

The cheapest option that I know of for a full auto .22 is to get an M11/9 (which is about $3000-5000) and get a .22 conversion kit for it, which is about $500.

If that's out of your price range, check out the Akins Accelerator II:

http://fostechoutdoors.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=2

Not technically full-auto, but also a lot cheaper.

(Lehigh County)

thanks for the info