Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Is CC legal on the NCR rail trail?

The title pretty much sums it up... I know the York County Rail Trail is not a national/federal park, clearing that obstacle, but what I do not know if there is anything posted restricting or making illegal carrying concealed a legal firearm with a license.

I plan on going soon and would like some input before having to scan through any posted small-type bills.

Anyone with thoughts/info please chime in!

Thanks in advance.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Is CC legal on the NCR rail trail?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up... I know the York County Rail Trail is not a national/federal park, clearing that obstacle, but what I do not know if there is anything posted restricting or making illegal carrying concealed a legal firearm with a license.

I plan on going soon and would like some input before having to scan through any posted small-type bills.

Anyone with thoughts/info please chime in!

Thanks in advance.
    Good question. I don't know. I used to bike those rail trails from Towson, MD to York and back. Since I rode through Gunpower SP, it wasn't legal, but neither was any part in MD. So I won't say if I carried or not. I just do not have any recollection of that .

(York County)

Well I just sent an E-mail to the director in charge of the parks and the Rangers. I hope he answers me.

I found more info after further digging, so here's a copy of the email I sent:
    Hello Mr. Brant,

I am not sure that I needed to direct this question to you specifically, but yours was the only email address posted on the "Park Staff" website other than a "general questions" link provided. I wanted this to go to someone who had the knowledge and authority to give an accurate answer.

My question is regarding your policy on firearms, specifically on the York County Rail Trail. I possess a valid Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms and am a little unclear as to how your regulation pertains to me.

The only statement I could find was on this web page:
    http://ycwebserver.york-county.org/Parks/park_rules.htm

It states:
    "8. No fireworks, explosive devices, or weapons unless authorized."

The part I am unclear on is if my PA LTCF grants me "authorization". Is it legal or illegal for me to carry a concealed firearm for the purpose of personal protection if I possess a legal and current LTCF through the State of Pennsylvania?

Obviously I do not want to "carry" there if it is illegal, and assumptions are clearly not something one wants to make in these situations. While it would be comforting to be able to have the means to protect myself and my young daughters while in public, I want to be sure that I am obeying the law at all times.

I thank you in advance for your time.

(Name)
    (address)
    (e-mail)

(Lebanon County)

These days, I'd definitely carry something. My mom walks that trail near Glen Rock often, and she says she's seen a few shady looking characters on the trail. She doesn't walk alone thankfully.

(Northampton County)

If it's not a state or national park (or Federal property), my knowledge of the law tells me that it can't be illegal, whether or not they have a sign posted. You can be asked to leave, but that's about it.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    If it's not a state or national park (or Federal property), my knowledge of the law tells me that it can't be illegal, whether or not they have a sign posted. You can be asked to leave, but that's about it.
    That's what I was thinking...

Look at the UFA:

§6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.

(a) General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.

(a. l) No right of action.*

(1) No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abate*ment, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.

(2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.

(b) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Dealer." The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at whole*sale or retail a firearm or ammunition.

"Firearms." This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to pro*hibiting of paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in sec*tion 6304 (relating to sale and use of air rifles).

"Political subdivision." The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or school district.

(Chgd. by 1.1999, Act 59(7), eff.12/15/99.)
    So, who controls the park?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    The link I posted above is York County Parks "rules", they are not regulations/laws. You very well may be right on this one. I am curious to see what the Director's response will be.

(Franklin County)

I'm betting he tells you that you're not allowed to carry. If he does, point out the preemption section of the UFA quoted above to him and see how he responds.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm betting he tells you that you're not allowed to carry. If he does, point out the preemption section of the UFA quoted above to him and see how he responds.
    I most certainly will do that

If it's not a national park, Fed. property or a state park you're cool. If it is a city/municipal park and they say no carry anyway because they're breaking the law.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast