Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Whats up with gunbroker.com??

Everything seems way over priced! I'm seeing USED Ruger 10/22's on there for well over $300 then you have to pay for the transfer and such... I just bought one brand new for about $226 after PICS and such. Everything else on there is greatly overpriced as well, such as the once again, USED Glock's, they used prices rival the new prices on there!

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by redturbo0; May 1st, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Whats up with gunbroker.com??

Just like any sale anywhere else - if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

There is a sucker somewhere that will pay for it - that is all that matters to the seller.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I agree withknight 0334. There are people who will buy some of the overpriced guns. Another point Knight made in a different thread is that things are priced differently depending where you live.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(York County)

I agree with everyone. Heck, watch EBay and you will see items that cost more on EBay (and then you pay shipping) then if you ran down to WalMart or Target - you could find the exact same item for less (and no shipping to boot)! Likewise - you can find some great deals if you do comparison shopping (whether it be gunbroker or Ebay).
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

It seems like GB prices started to really jump about a year ago. I think the market is hot, just like when obummer came into office. I'm not buying anything until the market comes back down.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    It seems like GB prices started to really jump about a year ago. I think the market is hot, just like when obummer came into office. I'm not buying anything until the market comes back down.
    Its more like people thinks their shit is worth millions for no appearent reason

Its like my gun shop guy once said to me used is used. no matter what. Shot once or 10000rds through it, its simply used, and unless its something really rare like 1957 Colt GoldCup National Match, how many has it been fired is mostly Irrelevant
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Delaware County)

Gun shows are high priced as well, especially the used stuff. Every now and then a deal could be found on a new firearm, be it gun show or gunbroker.
    Exception for used is police trade-ins at some tables.

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    Everything seems way over priced! I'm seeing USED Ruger 10/22's on there for well over $300 then you have to pay for the transfer and such... I just bought one brand new for about $226 after PICS and such. Everything else on there is greatly overpriced as well, such as the once again, USED Glock's, they used prices rival the new prices on there!

Am I missing something?
    It's more what the sellers are missing. While it might seem obvious to us, sellers often don't see the big picture. I didn't "get it" until I had accounting years ago. The only requirement for dealing firearms is mostly regulatory compliance, zoning, tax collection, interfacing with LE (PICS, etc). Nothing about running a business, marketing and understanding how to operate in a competitive environment. Not one word, link or hint. As evidence, browse gun shows and compare prices. Some of the sales pitches tend to get colorful, if not specious.

Most sellers seem oblivious that today's buyers are usually more educated about products than the sellers.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Perry County)

I'm a long time Gunbroker buyer/seller and now that I have my FFL it is my "storefront."

I have noticed a tendency of a lot of sellers to set gun prices well beyond what they can reasonably expect to sell for. PA Rifleman hit the nail on the head. I think some sellers don't do any research. They buy a gun for X dollars, add 15% and list it. That might work in a retail shop where the same gun is selling for less an hour away. It doesn't work when it's a mouse click away.

The used sellers are often worse. I paid X for said gun, now I'm willing to knock off 10% so you can have it. It doesn't work all that well when he paid 25% too much for it to begin with.

Now that I have my FFL, I have found that I can't be competitive on new guns. I can't do the volume necessary to price a new one competitively. Some of the sellers are selling guns at my cost, or less.

If you ever want to sell a lot of guns, have or consign them at a physical auction. I thought I'd be able to go to auctions and pick up some deals. Silly me. I have found that nearly all of the guns at auctions sell for anywhere from comparable to 20% over Gunbroker prices. The only exception to that is a couple of .22 handguns that I picked up.

One dealer I communicated with has a nice business model. He picks up the limited run stuff and then puts it away. All the other dealers sell their stock out and some time later he puts up his new-in-box limited run. The folks that wanted one and didn't get one will then pay crazy prices. He showed me a couple of Talo editions he did that with.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; May 3rd, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato