Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brand New Gun, Is The Rifling Ruined?

I ordered a Taurus 627 online, and just picked it up from my FFL tonight. When I got it it was covered in packing grease, but I gave it a once over and everything looked in order. Well I brought it home and cleaned the packing grease off and noticed that one of the rifling lands at the crown of the barrel had an indentation in it. It looks like a tool mark. This gun is brand new and has never been fired. So, my question is, is this indentation an issue? Should I return the gun?

Here's a picture of it. It was hard to capture on camera, but the mark is pretty deep and I can easily catch my fingernail on it.

Thanks in advance!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Brand New Gun, Is The Rifling Ruined?

I'd definitely send it back. A deep gouge in the crown can affect accuracy, so it's reasonable to suspect that this might too. Just tell them that 44,000 of us here are waiting to hear about their customer service!

(Lackawanna County)

That is pretty evil looking, and even re-crowning won't fix a gouge like that. It should have been caught long before it ever hit your dealer.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Brand New Gun, Is The Rifling Ruined?

i would send it back, do not shoot it. taurus has been on a downhill slide for some reason. their large revolver seem to be having issues. one of my favorites was taurus using stick on orange tape instead of a insert on their front sights, i mean wtf? i expect better from a company that has been around this long. producing a inferior product to cut costs will only help short time and cause you years to build your rep back when you decide to do it right.

I sent the store an email with some pictures asking if I can send it back. Hopefully they will make it right since the gun is clearly defective. I'll keep you updated. Thanks guys.

(Bucks County)

You get what you pay for- particularly with Taurus.
    The defect in your photo will most likely not effect accuracy and it will pretty much iron itself out with repeated shooting.

If there is an in house gunsmith where you bought it, he would be able to fix that in less than 5 minutes. It would not be worth the shipping and wait time to send it back to the factory.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Just talked to the store I got it from. They basically said that once I take the transfer the gun is mine, and so are any problems with it. So I called Taurus and they sent me a shipping label and said to send it back to them. I figure the easiest thing to do is just send it back to them and let them fix it. I realize you get what you pay for, but going back to the factory before it's even shot? I'm regretting my purchase already. Here's hoping for a quick turn around time...

(Cumberland County)

good move. the fact that it could have been repaired locally doesn,t play. you bought new so it should be correct not a new repaired gun. repaired doesn,t mean it is correct, just that issue has been removed. as well that kind of damage to the rifling could in fact alter accuracy and would never be corrected by shooting. short of taurus replacing the barrel i wouldn,t accept it when it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    Just talked to the store I got it from. They basically said that once I take the transfer the gun is mine, and so are any problems with it. So I called Taurus and they sent me a shipping label and said to send it back to them. I figure the easiest thing to do is just send it back to them and let them fix it. I realize you get what you pay for, but going back to the factory before it's even shot? I'm regretting my purchase already. Here's hoping for a quick turn around time...
    That would be the last time I set foot in that store.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

[QUOTE=Subverto;1992408]Just talked to the store I got it from. They basically said that once I take the transfer the gun is mine, and so are any problems with it. So I called Taurus and they sent me a shipping label and said to send it back to them. I figure the easiest thing to do is just send it back to them and let them fix it. I realize you get what you pay for, but going back to the factory before it's even shot? I'm regretting my purchase already. Here's hoping for a quick turn around time...[/QUOTE]

What is the name of the store so we all know never to shop there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast