Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fulton County)

Default explain to me full auto/ burst recivers

they have to be made before 86? like i see the full auto guns selling for thousands. At the same time i see full auto part being sold very very cheep. Basicly you could turn a AR in to full auto for a few hundred dollars. i guess the receiver would have to be made and registered before 1986? But a 1986 ar15 receiver could not be converted to full auto?

thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: explain to me full auto/ burst recivers

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    they have to be made before 86? like i see the full auto guns selling for thousands. At the same time i see full auto part being sold very very cheep. Basicly you could turn a AR in to full auto for a few hundred dollars. i guess the receiver would have to be made and registered before 1986? But a 1986 ar15 receiver could not be converted to full auto?

thanks
    The "machinegun" must have been manufactured and registered before '86 for it to be transferrable to us ordinary joes. I say "machinegun" because in some cases a conversion part can be the registered machinegun (for example RDIAS's for AR15's, or HK Sear Packs)

The parts themselves are cheap, but installing them in a non-machinegun would constitute manufacturing a new machinegun which would violate federal law.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

The machine gun or auto sear has to be manufactured/registered before 1986.

If your LEO/MIL you can can post 86 a gun if you wish. That is one reason parts are out there. AK parts are all surplus, there's no use for them since people can only make semi-auto guns. ARs require you to cut the receiver block in addition to adding the sear pin. AKs require the reciever rail cut in addition to the sear pin being added. You can buy just a sear, and drop it into certain guns. ARs and HKs. Using your gun as a host for the sear.

Additionally people still use Full Auto carriers in their semi-auto ARs. Not sure what the purpose is, but you can use them. AK bolt carriers are full auto by design as most AKs were originally full auto. Only WASRs do not have the bolt carrier cut for the auto sear.

I think its Colt that still uses full auto carriers in the semi-auto ARs.

(Fulton County)

Smile Re: explain to me full auto/ burst recivers

thanks guys i understand alittle more now

(Adams County)

So if someone is Military now, they can get a semi-Auto AR (post 86), and full-auto sear (for cheap) and make the AR full-auto? Wouldn't they need to register it? Can it be sold to a civilian? This doesn't sound right.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    So if someone is Military now, they can get a semi-Auto AR (post 86), and full-auto sear (for cheap) and make the AR full-auto? Wouldn't they need to register it? Can it be sold to a civilian? This doesn't sound right.
    Nothing made after 86 can be sold to civilians.

I'm also fairly Joe Soldier in the military can't just make their own posties either. They have to buy them from a licensed manufacturer or manufacture their own officlally.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Delaware County)

M-16 receivers have an extra hole for the auto sear pin. To convert an AR-15 receiver, legally, you need a registered drop in auto sear (which is different than the M-16 auto sear, and expensive), or you need a license to manufacture (Class II?) in order to drill the hole for the M-16 auto sear pin and you may need to mill for clearance.

Somewhere around the internet is a letter from the ATF that says an AR-15 with unmodified M-16 hammer and bolt carrier is illegal, even though they won't allow the rifle to fire full-auto without an auto-sear.

(Lawrence County)

Years ago I had an old semi-auto .22 that fired fully automatic, must have been before they used disconnects I think... It was fun until my mother found out ... lol That was one gun I never saw again, along with a sawed off shotgun and a hand grenade my mother found in the attic after my grandfather passed away in 1985. The sawed off shotgun I can see, but where he got a grenade I'll never know... lol

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    If your LEO/MIL you can can post 86 a gun if you wish.
    Individual officers or service members are not able to manucture their own machine guns, and are subject to the same federal and state laws as everyone else regarding ownership of all NFA items.

A government agency can purchase and issue post '86 machine guns, but they are agency property and not the property of the personnel who work for the agency. They can only be legally used in official duties or department approved activities.

Colt has sold a lot of rifles with M16 Bolt Carrier Groups (BCGs). The ATFE has ruled that an M16 BCG doesn't make the rifle a machine gun, so I suspect that for given production runs, that's what they had in the warehouse.

An M16 trigger group, however, is another story. The trigger group, even minus the auto sear, is different. I'm not sure of any specific rulings, but I wouldn't own one without a tax stamp.

The biggest advantage of the M16 BCG is that it's heavier, which means that it slows down the cycling of the weapon. This is an advantage in full auto fire, where faster cycling can cause issues, and with short barrelled guns, which tend to cycle more violently (quickly) and slowing the cycling down improves reliability.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE