Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Illegal seizure and arrest?

I heard on my scanner a response from county data that an individual had a LTCF but there was no ownership info on the gun. I wonder if they illegally seized his gun and arrested him. I only heard the response so I don't know any names or the police department. I guess Montgomery county hasn't gotten it yet that there is no gun registration in Pa.

Default Re: Illegal seizure and arrest?

I have talked to a police officer that I know (while he was off duty and during the course of a normal conversation), and he has told me that(even if checking me), the gun did not come back "registered" to me, that he would confiscate the gun and arrest me.....
    We got into the whole "gun registration" discussion, and I was basically told, I am the cop, you can figure it out with the judge.....

(Lehigh County)

If that's the only reason for seizure and arrest, and nothing else occurred that you missed on the scanner, then yep that's an illegal seizure and arrest.

(Venango County)

Only one of my weapons will come back to my name.

There is no legal requirement that the gun(s) in your possession are really yours. There is no crime being committed either. So what gives? Liberty, apparently!

Think of all of the items you own, how many could you 'prove' in a court of law are yours? The house has a deed or lease, cars have registration, spouses have marriage licenses and children birth certificates. Unless you're a really 'anal' about receipts the rest is probably up in the air.

If a gun can be taken under those circumstances, where does it end? Your fancy stereo or big screen TV or computer etc.?

I would love to start seeing civil rights lawsuits for such violations against governments and individuals representing governmental authority and abusing it. IMHO the person that said, "I'm a cop" really isn't. He crossed the line and has the wrong attitude.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

What should a PA citizen with a LTCF do if their carry handgun was purchased outside of PA? Should they always carry a folded copy of the receipt in their wallet when OC or CC?

If they are stopped by police and their handgun checked in the incomplete state sales database nothing will come up.
    Last edited by Jon Doe; April 29th, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added stuff to be more specific

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by billffn7 View Post
    I have talked to a police officer that I know (while he was off duty and during the course of a normal conversation), and he has told me that(even if checking me), the gun did not come back "registered" to me, that he would confiscate the gun and arrest me.....
    We got into the whole "gun registration" discussion, and I was basically told, I am the cop, you can figure it out with the judge.....
    You should have asked that asshole what the charge would be.
    AFAIK there's no such crime of having an unregistered gun in PA.
    How can one have an unregistered gun in a state that forbids registration??
    That dumb ass cop will end up getting his town & hopefully himself sued.
    What a jerk off.

Should they always carry a folded copy of the receipt in their wallet when OC or CC?
    They should have the number to a lawyer in their wallet.
    Last edited by reverserboy; April 29th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

(York County)

Does anyone have a link to the statement made by (I think) the PSP that LEOs should not be using the RoS database as a registry? It was posted here a couple months back and I haven't seen it since.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doe View Post
    ...Should they always carry a folded copy of the receipt in their wallet...
    Wow - I have a Ruger I bought in 1976 in Maryland. The place is no longer in business and only the lord knows what I did with the receipt. Wonder how that would be handled...
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Indiana County)

My son bought me my .40-cal. pistol for my birthday. It certainly isn't "registered" in my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the statement made by (I think) the PSP that LEOs should not be using the RoS database as a registry? It was posted here a couple months back and I haven't seen it since.
    I think you're referring to the MPOETC newsletter article at http://www.mpoetc.state.pa.us/portal...er_12_2011_pdf (page 3)
    Last edited by donm; April 29th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast