Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default M&P9 Safety or No safety?

I have a full size M&P9 without safety and we are looking into buying another M&P9 full size as we like the barrel length.

I was considering the same one but maybe with a safety for variety/carry possibly. Can someone who has one with a safety give me some pros/cons on this gun with the safety on it?

Does it get in the way as i understand down is the safety off position?
    thanks

Default Re: M&P9 Safety or No safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I have a full size M&P9 without safety and we are looking into buying another M&P9 full size as we like the barrel length.

I was considering the same one but maybe with a safety for variety/carry possibly. Can someone who has one with a safety give me some pros/cons on this gun with the safety on it?

Does it get in the way as i understand down is the safety off position?
    thanks
    Are you talkin' SA/DA as opposed to DAO?
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Montgomery County)

I can give you a couple of reasons to skip the safety.

You already have one without the safety. Adding a safety to one of them changes the manual of arms and invites the opportunity for a less experienced or familiar shooter hold a fully loaded paperweight when it may count the most.

It is a safety on a DAO pistol.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

I like the safety, and have trained myself to use it. I don't lose much time on the draw taking it off. I like that in a gun grab situation (or losing a fight for the gun), it could buy me an extra second while the unfamiliar assailant tries to figure out what's wrong, so I could deploy a BUG or knife. I like it because I plan on installing an Apex FSS which will greatly reduce pre-travel, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a FFS equipped weapon on safe (not unlike a 1911 cocked and locked). I like that if I ever get tired of the safety I can remove it and install frame plugs with no ill effects to the operation of the weapon.

I don't like how far the M&P safety sticks out. I had to make a conscious effort to move my thumb out and around it. During IWB carry (right side), the right-side safety flicked off a couple times from hitting it while carrying, and the left side dug into my side. I pulled out the safety, cut off the right-side lever and profiled the left side lever, removing about 50% of it. Now it works exactly as I like, and doesn't bother me at all. It's not as pretty as it was, but it's a very functional tool.

(Bucks County)

Similar to Steve, will you train to deploy the gun with an external manual safety? I don't so my M&Ps don't have it.

I can't imagine how confusing it would be to have 1 with and the other without...

I also own a 1911, so I am used to shooting with a thumb safety. I think that it makes sense to buy the thumb safety version so that you have the option of using it. Removing the thumb safety is very easy and does not require a gunsmith (the frame plugs cost about $6).

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Can someone who has one with a safety give me some pros/cons on this gun with the safety on it?
    I don't have one with a safety, but I can only dream up CONS.......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Chester County)

I debated the same thing a few months ago before choosing to by without. It does stick out fairly far and with a fairly limited IWB holster selection already, the safety lowers that selection even further (especially due to it being the widest part of the firearm). I did talk to the guys at the shop and the safety can be removed fairly easily and little plugs put in (the model without basically has plugs or punch-outs anyway). S&W has stated that if you get the model with manual safety, you can remove it. But it cannot be added to the model without.
    It's called "WORK" for a reason, they wouldn't pay you for it if it was fun.

(Lawrence County)

I think the only two reasons to buy the model with the safety are:

(A) you prefer a high hand grip and get more control in recoil while riding the safety with the thumb (like a 1911)

(B) you want to install a light sear in the gun and still want to carry it with the added level of safety

I don't buy much into the same platform camp. I switch from a Glock to a 1911 pretty much every week and never missed a safety that wasn't there or forget to switch it off on the 1911. Kind of like how I never stomped the floor looking for a clutch when going from the stick to the auto.

YMMV.

Lycanpreferencethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

It took me awhile to feel i was not going to stall my car after switching from manual to auto ! Perhaps it would be best for me to stick to the same although it would be for my husband and me at the range and maybe he or I would carry one of them....

I called S&W and i was thinking on getting the gun with manual safety but he said it requires more than just removing and plugging - something about some other parts, plus tinkering would void the warranty. I thought i could have the best of both worlds - buying with it and removing if i didn't like....ohhhh what to do ...... he wasn't a fan of the safety himself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast