Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Firearm in employee parking lot?

Hi all,
    Question? Is there any law on the books that protect one’s rite to carry a firearm in your car in an employer’s parking lot? Seems to me, that an employer can disarm you for your daily commute by making this policy. Also last night an accusation was made that an employee had a firearm in his car. The person was taken to HR and he consented after being asked under a veiled threat of losing his job to search his car. This stems from bickering between two employees. One is known to have a LTCF. The other used this info to try to get him fired. By the way no gun was found and the employee is back at work after the search. Is any of this even legal for an employer to do?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Firearm in employee parking lot?

There is no law to allow an employee to keep a firearm in his or her car.

Pa is an at will state. This pretty much means the employer can ask or demand what it wants from you. They can let you go for most any thing they want.

This does not mean the employee can not go to the unemployment office to fight this and may end up collecting. Most bigger companies work hard at terminating employees in such a way that they can not collect.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

if a business has a rule against firearms on company property then the employee parking lot is company property and falls under this rule . as far as demanding to search the car i would say no and if i am fired for refusing i would contact a lawyer asap.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bolewine View Post
    Hi all,
    Question? Is there any law on the books that protect one’s rite to carry a firearm in your car in an employer’s parking lot? Seems to me, that an employer can disarm you for your daily commute by making this policy. Also last night an accusation was made that an employee had a firearm in his car. The person was taken to HR and he consented after being asked under a veiled threat of losing his job to search his car. This stems from bickering between two employees. One is known to have a LTCF. The other used this info to try to get him fired. By the way no gun was found and the employee is back at work after the search. Is any of this even legal for an employer to do?
    It's pretty much legal to do. Private property rights trump all other rights - except life(which is a property right too).

The employee has the right to work elsewhere, or park elsewhere. But while on his employer's properties he is subject to their rules.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

In our handbook that we have to sign that we read it it states

"WE ALSO PROHBIT THE POSSESSION OF WEAPONS OF ANY KIND ON DEALERSHIP PREMISES" .......
    I guess I have to walk into work nude ...... Oh wait I still have a weapon ..... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It's pretty much legal to do. Private property rights trump all other rights - except life(which is a property right too).

The employee has the right to work elsewhere, or park elsewhere. But while on his employer's properties he is subject to their rules.
    In regards to searching the employees car, I would be curious to know more about this. Private property does give the employer the right to make the rules they want, but I don't see it straight out trumping all other rights. If an employer suspects that I have stolen something, does being on their property give them the right to strip search me or me fire me if I refuse?

I would think that they would need and official policy that the employees have access to (handbook) that outlines what happens under certain situations. I don't think (can't cite any laws of the top of my head and am just throwing this out for discussion) an employer can just say, "hey we just decided we have the right to search your car since you are parked on our property" and start making up rules to fit what they want to do.

Once again, the rules that you know are in place, or the rules that the employer just decided to make up?
    Last edited by internet troll; April 27th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

The employer would need your consent to search your personal property but you can be fired for almost anything they so dream up...

I know of atleast 20/30 people at my job who keep guns in their car and one was asked if they could search his car and he said no, fire me if you please but I will not allow you to search me or my car for anything...

They still haven't fired him and this was last year sometime

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    In regards to searching the employees car, I would be curious to know more about this. Private property does give the employer the right to make the rules they want, but I don't see it straight out trumping all other rights. If an employer suspects that I have stolen something, does being on their property give them the right to strip search me or me fire me if I refuse?

I would think that they would need and official policy that the employees have access to (handbook) that outlines what happens under certain situations. I don't think (can't cite any laws of the top of my head and am just throwing this out for discussion) an employer can just say, "hey we just decided we have the right to search your car since you are parked on our property" and start making up rules to fit what they want to do.

Once again, the rules that you know are in place, or the rules that the employer just decided to make up?

My employee handbook does state no firearms, no weapons and no ammo and blah blah bla and that managment may search your car while on company property i carry my sidearm with me at all times when i get about a block from work i pull over put it in my center section lock it up and park in a differant parking lot about 3 feet from company parking lot i can see my jeep just fine. If they ever ask to search my jeep ill tell them to pound sand

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    My employee handbook does state no firearms, no weapons and no ammo and blah blah bla and that managment may search your car while on company property i carry my sidearm with me at all times when i get about a block from work i pull over put it in my center section lock it up and park in a differant parking lot about 3 feet from company parking lot i can see my jeep just fine. If they ever ask to search my jeep ill tell them to pound sand
    That's what I would do if I could in a similar situation. Not park on their property if possible and avoid the problems.

(Bucks County)

Get an in-car gun-safe, and keep the key hidden on your person if it's the key kind. If they want to search your car say "I keep the key to that lock-box at home" or "sorry, I forgot the combination" if it's the combo type.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast